Irig pro mic problem

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Skippy567
Expert

Irig pro mic problem

Post by Skippy567 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:41 am

Please help. I finally purchased irig pro and its either broken or I'm a fool. It hisses like crazy. I have the irig with the headphone jack connection and recorded pretty good vocals with it last week so I know it's not my mic (shure sm58). It was bleeding through so I upgraded. It's terrible. So before I take it back I could be wrong so please help. I'm using iPad pro, Auria pro, and now irig pro. I put a brand new battery in the irig pro, I connect the pin connector to the device, connect mic, connect to iPad. Go to song open new audio track and arm. First time through I could tell I was only hearing the iPad's mic, so I turned it off. Then I got nothing. I noticed at some point when connecting that the input box had "1/2" in it? When I tap the box it has "1/2", "3/4", and master??? When I turn the iPad mic back on (sliding the Auria button over) it worked when on "1/2" but is horrible sounding. I have no clue what to do. Please help, I'm not an expert so please step by step me

Radside
Expert

Re: Irig pro mic problem

Post by Radside » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:58 pm

Did you check the obvious settings on the iRig like the gain and also making sure phantom power was off?

Skippy567
Expert

Post by Skippy567 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:31 pm

I moved the gain all around. It did seem to adjust the volume but it was still very noisy. Phantom power? Help me out sorry?

Radside
Expert

Post by Radside » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:53 pm

I don't have the iRig Pro but checked it out on the web and it should have a phantom power switch.
Dynamic mics such as the SM 58 do not need phantom power whereas condenser mics require phantom power. The phantom power switch should be off when connecting the SM58. You also check the gain structure on Auria's audio track to make sure the combination of gain between the irig and auria is not too high or low.
Last edited by Radside on Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:53 pm

Skippy, bleed through is a problem with just about anything that goes in through the headphone jack. I didn't even know IK Multimedia made them anymore. Might be some of your problem.

Other thing is to set the input level in Auria. Tap and hold the record button on the track. A small menu will come up. You want to select the input level. You can turn this down at this point. That might help you out.

Tovokas
Expert

Post by Tovokas » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:02 pm

The iRig Pro doesn't use the headphone jack, it uses the lightning or 30 pin connection.

Unless it's a bad unit, using it should be dead simple: plug it in, make sure the phantom power is off for a 58 (the red light between 'pro' and iRig' is off), and enable record. Mine is dead silent unless the gain is cranked.

Is the blue light just above the gain control lighting up on the iRig?

Skippy567
Expert

Post by Skippy567 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:56 pm

I told you I am fool. On the old irig there is an on switch and fantom power switch. I switched to fantom. Had no clue it just sits there on. Sorry. I'll keep asking dumb questions till I learn. Thanks again everyone.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:59 pm

Lol, Skippy. It's good. We all do lots of dumb stuff. That phantom power switch is handy.

Tovokas
Expert

Post by Tovokas » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:09 pm

Agreed, learning new gear/tools involves all sorts of embarrassing mistakes... Only most of our's aren't broadcast on the interwebs. ;)