Alesis iO Dock II, Auria and Reverb for live performance

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

IndieP
Expert

Alesis iO Dock II, Auria and Reverb for live performance

Post by IndieP » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:36 am

I’ve got the Alesis iO Dock II coming today and as a beginner to recording and sequencing, I have many questions. However, as a keyboard player, I want to add my own vocal with Reverb when I perform live.
My question being:
Is the application of effects such as Reverb limited to the project you are creating within Auria, or can I use Auria with the Dock II, mic attached, and add Reverb to my live vocal?
Thanks

Ohmnoise
Expert

Re: Alesis iO Dock II, Auria and Reverb for live performance

Post by Ohmnoise » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:01 pm

If you like to use it live, go to Menu - Setting and change the Buffersize to 128, to have lowest possible latency.
General you need to open a project every time you use Auria, it's simply part of the game.
You can also create a project with just one channel (for the mic input) and save it and reload it in live situations.

The Alesis Dock has also a monitoring button on the back, when engaged your booth inputs are even monitored without an iPad inside.
Your advance would be in a live situation to have a higher Buffersize, which helps to play more and complex keyboard sounds live via Midi without an hiccup.
Your voice will go straight from the input to the output with added and short delayed reverb.
Therefor go to Menu - Setting - Mixer and change the Aux Send to pre fader modus.
The downsize of this solution is not to have equalisation and compression on the direct signal when your voice is not trained.

Have fun with these new toys.
iPad 3/16 GB - Alesis Dock - Auria 2.0 - ReTune - Audiobus - JamUp Pro - Alchemy Pro - DM1

IndieP
Expert

Post by IndieP » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:42 am

Thanks for the help Ohmnoise, However, you mention changing the buffer size to 128, then further down in your post you mention it’s better to have a higher buffer size when in a live situation. When implementing your recommendations, the buffer size selected was 512. Am I missing something, did you mean to say 512 or perhaps you're running an older version of Auria.
Thanks

Ohmnoise
Expert

Post by Ohmnoise » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:06 am

Well I described 2 scenarios.

With Buffersize 128 you can easily have an Eq, Dynamics, Chorus and reverb fx without any hear able delay for your mic signal.
But not if you engaged complex or big layered keyboard sounds on your iPad too than the cpu power can reach its limit.

With Buffersize 512 or even more the cpu power delivers now much more capacity for keyboard sounds or fx.
But the delay of every life input increase so high that it is a non pleasure to use it.
So to avoid this delay for your voice you can engage the monitor-function of your Alesis dock and the dry signal of your mic input is routed to the output.
On the same time the mic input is also routed into the iPad where it can feed a pre fader aux send to the reverb.
The reverb as itself always occurres with a small delay.

I hope this unveils my previous posting a little bit.
iPad 3/16 GB - Alesis Dock - Auria 2.0 - ReTune - Audiobus - JamUp Pro - Alchemy Pro - DM1

IndieP
Expert

Post by IndieP » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:38 pm

Ohmnoise, the information you gave me really helps. I don't just want to (Select), an option, I want to know (Why) I am selecting that option. This in turn will increase my understanding of how other things work.

Thanks again.