Apogee Duet iOS 9.2 compatibility

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

MigZ

Apogee Duet iOS 9.2 compatibility

Post by MigZ » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:25 pm

So I'm expecting my newly purchased Apogee Duet to arrive soon. I was wondering if any Duet users out there have had any issues with iOS 9.2. I emailed Apogee and they told me that the iOS 9.2 problem was with Apogee One, not Duet. Does anyone have any direct experience with this? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Phil999
Expert

Re: Apogee Duet iOS 9.2 compatibility

Post by Phil999 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:36 pm

no problems here. A very reliable interface for iPad and iPhone.

MigZ

Post by MigZ » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:45 pm

Cool, thanks for the reassurance. I absentmindedly updated to 9.2 and I've been worried I made a huge mistake. My last interface was an itrack dock that was unreliable so I'm hoping the duet get me back into using auria.

MigZ

Post by MigZ » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:15 am

I just got my new Duet and tried it out over the weekend with Auria and the result was disappointing. The input signal during recording and playback had a crackle/ sputter noise to it. I tried the duet on my Mac (in garage band) and it worked fine so I ended up buying Logic Pro x and AAF exporting my Auria project to logic and working on it there. Can someone please confirm that this is an iOS 9.2, or an Auria pro/ Apogee issue. Any help or information would be appreciated. iPad recording is the most practical method for me so I definitely need my duet to work with Auria.
Thanks,
Miguel

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:17 pm

the Apogee Duet 2 for iPad has always worked perfectly fine for me. Its functionality does not depend on the iOS version. Sorry to hear you're having problems.

Is it the same device we are talking about? Do you have the Maestro app installed and working? Does Maestro recognise the device? Do you have the correct setting for your inputs? Line -10dB, Line 4dB, Mic, or Instrument?

MigZ

Post by MigZ » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:47 pm

The maestro app works fine and monitors the input with no issues. The signal becomes noisy when the track is engaged to record in Auria. The connectivity between the duet and maestro works. Playback of other tracks in Auria also works. But the recording/recorded audio track is unusable. I've used the exact same set up on my Mac with Logic Pro x and had no problems. It seems to be an Auria or iOS problem. I've created a ticket for support fro Apogee (haven't heard back yet) Could anyone from Auria please share an opinion on the matter?
Thanks,
Miguel

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:13 pm

Are you using an older iPad (iPad 2, iPad 3 or original Mini)? Those models have a hardware bug related to USB audio that can't be fixed.

Rim

MigZ

Post by MigZ » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:36 pm

I'm using an iPad mini 2 with ios9.2

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:53 pm

Ok, then that's not the issue. It's quite possible that this is the result of the iOS 9.2 bug that is affecting other interfaces currently. But it's odd that Phil999 hasn't had an issue with his...

Rim

MigZ

Post by MigZ » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:17 pm

I think I figured it out. The problem happens in a 96k project and also in 44.1 projects but only after a 96k project has been opened. So if I reload Auria and don't touch any 96k project, just stick to 44.1k projects, then it works fine.

MigZ

Post by MigZ » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:15 pm

Scratch that. The problem is still there in 44.1. I'm at a loss

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:06 pm

could be a sampling rate issue. I keep my Duet 2 at 44.1 kHz mostly.

I would try recording a mono or a stereo file with Apogee MetaRecorder. And also check the firmware with Maestro.

MigZ

Post by MigZ » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:42 am

The firmware is up to date. I think I'll try recording in a different app, see what happens.

MigZ

Post by MigZ » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:24 am

So I tried my Duet with Auria again over the weekend and it worked fine. I used it on a couple 44.1 k project and started a new 44.1k project, all without any glitches. I didn't try any other sample rates, didn't want to "jinks" it. I can't say I know why it worked, as it didn't work properly with any sample rate the precious time I had tried. I don't think I did anything differently this time. Anyway, it seems to record now without any glitchy noise, so that's good news.

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:07 pm

glad it worked out for you, but at the same time a bit worried why you were having trouble. I can only assume it had something to do with sampling rate, or more precisely, changing sampling rates often. Some time ago I made some tests with 96 kHz on iPad and hackintosh, which never exposed any problem.

Although I have enough processing power I still keep my projects at 44.1 kHz. Couldn't hear any advantage with 96 kHz myself for my work. Switching from 44.1 kHz to 48 kHz can already cause trouble with any DAW (including desktop), although it's usually only a minor trouble that can be fixed with some user input.

The audio card/interface is supposed to automatically switch to the sampling rate by the host/project sampling rate. Works flawlessly with most desktop DAW's. But not all, not every time. On iOS it appears to be more problematic. I had a lot of problems with an MFI interface (Tascam iU2) for a long time, until the problem somehow vanished after updating the iPad to iOS 9.x. These are strange things normal users can't follow or comprehend.

Of course this does not mean that 96 kHz projects should be avoided, my tests have shown this works perfectly well. And technically there's no reason not to work in 96 kHz projects. Especially with those good AD/DA converters in Apogee interfaces. Which, just to mention, do not depend on the sampling rate. They sound great with any setting.