MIDI issue related to Convolution Reverb?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

novakram

MIDI issue related to Convolution Reverb?

Post by novakram » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:31 pm

Hi - I'm not sure if this is a bug or whether I'm doing something wrong...

I've got a few MIDI tracks in a project - some individual drum tracks; kick, snare, hats, etc, as well as other instrumental MIDI tracks. When I put effects on the tracks all is fine EXCEPT when I try to use Convolution Reverb (stock ones and all Fab Filters are fine).

When that is on, it does something to the drum tracks which knocks them out of time. It's really weird and that's the best I can describe it...I can't understand how they are related in any way.

Any thoughts/ideas?

P.S. cool app! :)

mschenkel
Expert

Re: MIDI issue related to Convolution Reverb?

Post by mschenkel » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:08 pm

Because convolution verbs are FFT and they need a buffer. While you can buffer a audio stream since it is on a hdd on the othe hand you can't buffer a direct stream coming from a midi input. Stick with a algorithmic verb while you are composing and once you are done you change it. Usually in the rendering process this kind of late dies is sorted out.

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:25 pm

the conv rev is disabled during record. on playback it should be in time. there is know bug relating to conv rev and delay compensation. I think it was fixed. what version of Auria are you using? 2.03 has just hit the app store. try updating to this.

novakram

Post by novakram » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:29 pm

Running the most up to date version.

This is all on playback. The MIDI track is already 'recorded'. Does mschenkel's answer still apply?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:34 pm

Did you possibly move the Delay knob on the convolution reverb? This would cause the type of delay you describe on playback.

Rim

novakram

Post by novakram » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:32 am

No, nothing moved or changed. It's literally as soon as the plugin is loaded - no knobs changed at all.

I've just don't a bit of experimenting. It only seems that the first two tracks MIDI tracks are affected (kick and snare), but it happens when the Conv Verb is put on any track (including audio tracks) even if there's nothing playing on it.

I'm starting to think that the answer above about buffer size might be the right one? Can you confirm Rim?

(Although why would that only impact two tracks?!)

Thanks

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:32 am

Can you send me this project? If I can duplicate this here, I should be able to tell what's going on. Please send via dropbox to: rim@drumagog.com

Thanks,
Rim

novakram

Post by novakram » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:45 am

Thanks Rim!

Done - I sent it before typing a message on there - it's called King Kong for reference.

Edit: I've also added a short video to show the problem. Hope it helps. (In the video I'm adding the verb to a track that doesn't have notes playing at that time.)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:30 pm

Perfect, thanks. I've added the link to my list for 2.04. That really helps. Please leave it up on Dropbox, as I'll probably get to it in a week or two.

Thanks,
Rim

novakram

Post by novakram » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:42 am

Ok. Thanks a lot.

Hopefully it's something easy!