Midi notes playback problem with beatmaker2 and other apps

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

mschenkel
Expert

Re: Midi notes playback problem with beatmaker2 and other ap

Post by mschenkel » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:03 am

JointSmith wrote:So I've bought Sunrizer JUST to test it out!

One major difference is that BM2 does not show in the CoreMidi (only network session is available)
When I loaded sunrizer into that audio track and then chose Plug-ins: track 2 sunrizer it did the opposite as you, the first note played half then stops and nothing else.
IF I chose sunrizer in the CoreMidi section then no problem and indeed it is all working.

Have you been able to record midi into auria playing the sunrizer. I chose midi in and out -> sunrizer (coreMidi)
Nothig's recorded.....grrrrr each app has its own thing.... I thought coreMidi and IAA was a standard...

Back to BM2, I would love to know if Anthony has been able to make it work WITH bm2 selected as plug-ins / channel 1 or all / input Off in the midi track and BM2 loaded in the channel strip of the audio track.

Recording the audio of these app is great BUT beeing able to record them in Midi to be able to tweak the notes etc is SO much better. I really want to figure this out.
You won't be able to record any midi from Sunrizer since it has no Midi out. Honestly I don't understand why you are trying to record midi out of a synth(unless is something like Animoog for polyAT, which at the time it came out it wasn't so easy to find any kind of controller doing that). I think you are trying to do things upside down. A normal, and therefore optimized, routing should be: Midi controller>Midi recorder(Auria in this case)> instrument

King
Expert

Post by King » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:42 am

Rim wrote:
- Make sure Auria has it's Background Audio Mode setting enabled. Otherwise it will go to sleep when you close it to go to the other app

Rim

Hey Rim, whilst we are here, is there a reason why Auria has "background audio" set to off by default? (Been meaning to ask this for a while).
It may save users some time if it's set to on (myself included). Time, in the sense of trying to figure out why they are not hearing anything when they have switched apps.
I think a lot of customers get confused by this when trying to achieve certain tasks, and put it down to midi or IAA or Audiobus etc etc.. (not all customers are at the same level [with Auria] and not all have read the manual) ;)

It's much like Sunrizer which catches me out (as I don't use it that often).

--------------------

By the way while I'm here, Great update! 2.03

Auria Pro is making me smile! :)
_____________________________1 Luv_____________________________

_____________________________King____________________________

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:44 am

Because nearly half of all Auria users don't use other apps, and only use Auria for audio recording. It's a big deal to have background mode turned on in terms of battery and CPU usage if you don't need it.

Rim

JointSmith
Expert

Post by JointSmith » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:51 am

Hey,

I'm simply trying to input notes from the synth I have without a keyboard. We are talking about portable music making right? I don't have my midi keyboard always with me (even if it was a 25keys mini controller).
Let's say I want to play a quick bass out of sunrizer or play some pads out of beatmaker since auria's lyra does not have that fonction (loading different samples on the pads to trigger them more easily AND edit their events in the piano roll) and record it into auria. My playing won't be perfect since it will be on the app's keyboard but I can get something to start with, to edit...

I know that recording the midi out with real midi controller IS the way but not in the subway coming back from work. If I wanted to do that then I would just continue doing music in my fully equipped recording studio. know what i'm sayin'

What surprise me is that they all show up more or less in the input and output options of auria. we see coreMidi compatibilty. Sunrizer is by far the one showing up the most, it's in the midi input as well as in the midi output. Midi bridge is showing it on both sides, sampletank, only right side, beatmaker does not show up at all. They all see each other...kinda...

SO NO ONE is recording a quick track out a synth into auria playing the virtual keyboard of that particular? really?

King
Expert

Post by King » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:10 am

Rim wrote: ... It's a big deal to have background mode turned on in terms of battery and CPU usage if you don't need it.

Rim
Riiiiiiight! Learn something new daily.

Battery and CPU... Makes sense!

Added: this is also good info concerning other apps in background audio mode.

Cheers!
Last edited by King on Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

King
Expert

Post by King » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:17 am

Hey @JointSmith, I'll re-read this thread again when I get a chance, and see if I can help..

I'm sure I tested what your saying with Nave and some others, and it worked, but will re-read again...
Last edited by King on Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

mschenkel
Expert

Post by mschenkel » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:26 am

JointSmith wrote:Hey,

I'm simply trying to input notes from the synth I have without a keyboard. We are talking about portable music making right? I don't have my midi keyboard always with me (even if it was a 25keys mini controller).
Let's say I want to play a quick bass out of sunrizer or play some pads out of beatmaker since auria's lyra does not have that fonction (loading different samples on the pads to trigger them more easily AND edit their events in the piano roll) and record it into auria. My playing won't be perfect since it will be on the app's keyboard but I can get something to start with, to edit...

I know that recording the midi out with real midi controller IS the way but not in the subway coming back from work. If I wanted to do that then I would just continue doing music in my fully equipped recording studio. know what i'm sayin'

What surprise me is that they all show up more or less in the input and output options of auria. we see coreMidi compatibilty. Sunrizer is by far the one showing up the most, it's in the midi input as well as in the midi output. Midi bridge is showing it on both sides, sampletank, only right side, beatmaker does not show up at all. They all see each other...kinda...

SO NO ONE is recording a quick track out a synth into auria playing the virtual keyboard of that particular? really?
Sunrizer is showing but not sending anything, just record a sequence(which will be actual midi data instead of a recording), activate it and hold a note and remember to hit the background audio mode on then check in midibrige if something is happening:)

I said any kind of controller, not necessarily physical. There so many apps out there doing that job thousand time better then Sunrizer's keyboard. If I manage how to I'll do a little video.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:53 am

I have tested Sunrizer and this app does not send midi data to other apps so you cannot use it to input midi to another app. This is shown in the midi settings of Sunrizer as it only accepts midi in and has no send options. However Sunrizer will respond to midi data that has already been recorded onto a track. To record the audio of Sunrizer onto an audio track of Auria Pro just insert Sunrizer into the audio tracks FX slot and send the midi data output to Sunrizer but do not have Sunrizer plugged into the Instrument slot of the midi page. Make sure you don't sent to Sunrizer Plugin option but to Core Midi out. You will see both on the midi output selector slot. Now when you press record, Sunrizers audio will be recorded onto the audio track while it reads the midi notes. If you run into an app that will not output midi notes to Auria Pro just try to find a patch that Auria Pro has that is close to what you want then record the midi notes with Auria Pros keyboard either Lyra or Fabfilter One and Twin 2 and after you record your notes just remove the instrument to none and open Sunrizer and set it to receive the midi notes and follow the recording procedure. This will work with most apps. So the fault here is not Auria Pro but rather some midi limitations of some apps. iOS midi is not that standard as you might want to think in fact its rather up to each developer at to how much and how its midi will function both within itself and with other midi apps. Its still hit and miss and we have all encountered this. I can no longer keep track of how many apps I can no longer use because of incompatibility. You have to find what works and go for that. Check the app updates as an indicator of how recent their midi has been updated. Some are way behind and some have even left the scene and we are left with their old app. Thank goodness some of these apps are not too expensive. I think more of the modern more up to date synths and music apps ate working better with Auria Pro. Cheers and good luck.

JointSmith
Expert

Post by JointSmith » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:53 pm

Thank you all so much for taking the time to write/test/respond etc... I really appreciate it!
I honestly almost got lost into this all loosing what I really wanted to accomplish which is as I'm seeing impossible and if I understand it right I should use another virtual midi controller app to control the synth. But that's another app. It is amazing that apps wouldn't let you output their midi from their own keyboard making the "on-the-go" recording process much more simple.
in the end I only see some usefulness into using Beatmaker's pad and trigger them from auria. For the rest I can use their sound but will have to find a virtual keyboard acording to mschenkel. Any apps that you know of?

Recording MIDI into auria with or without Midibridge :

- Beatmaker 2

Without MidiBridge: YES - check midi out in the settings and auria in/out set to on. I had midid input set to all in auria then aimed it to network session
Now I started to get into trouble when I wanted to play back what I've just recorded and record at the same time hitting pads on BM2.
I'll use it writing in the piano roll to trigger simple sounds/one shots for exemple. To me, we need a pad system where we can load multiple samples that will take one track in the timeline like BM2. Corey told me that they are working into adding it in Lyra' s pad system which would be awesome!

- Sunrizer
With or without MB: NO (no midi out)

- sampletank
With or without MB: NO (no midi out)

Trick (thanks Anthony): use another in-Auria similar patch, record the midi and then change the instrument back to the external synth app again, the midi recorded will then trigger the app's wanted sound.

- Animoog
without MB: YES https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c7K8V5LAw0

Triggering MIDI from auria to an external app with or without Midibridge :

- Beatmaker 2
Without MidiBridge: NO
With MB: YES somehow having that extra midibridge virtual midi in/output make it works.
Make sure you start BM2, then auria, then MB. Go back to BM2 and set the input only to midibridge. Go to auria and set midi out to midibridge (midi in to off since we're not recording). Go to MB and connect midibridge In to midibridge Out. It is unstable sometime. Turning off MB and of course re-routing everything will make it work again. playing the midi track, hitting the keys on the piano roll also can work to get it back.

- Sunrizer
YES - simply load the instrument

- sampletank
YES - simply load the instrument, you can also chose the channel to control each 4 parts

Now, on to the search for a virtual midi controller...

King
Expert

Post by King » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:15 pm

Glad your getting sorted.

Everything just takes time, to get a good workflow that is.

Enjoy the discovering!

JointSmith
Expert

Post by JointSmith » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:42 pm

Thanks a lot King!

Anyone with a good virtual midi Controller app? :-)

mschenkel
Expert

Post by mschenkel » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:16 pm

JointSmith wrote:Thanks a lot King!

Anyone with a good virtual midi Controller app? :-)
Loads.
I find myself pretty comfortable with genome(full feature midi sequencer), sound prism and chordion; then got a few others as patterning, Kilmer, cream and navichord but I still need some time to sort 'em out properly as midi controllers. Really would like to get lemur since Beatsurfing needs an update.
I've all settled up for a brief tutorial on midi sequencing and recording on Auria. I hope I will able to shoot and upload it sometime tomorrow/today: sound prism midi to Auria to Sunrizer within audiobus(easier to start recording not needed tho if only I could connect iconnectmidi or studiomux. But as long as I don't update Os's and stuff have I have to sort it some other way).

BTW if I got it right away what you are looking for, you should definitely try korg gadgets. I'm not too serious about their sound and capabilities but, specially if you are coming from a reason background. Best thing around to sketch things up; pretty limited in every kind of way(fx suck hard, when things get complex you'll have some hard time sorting 'em out for the better result and so on but still the most "inspirational" I got out there)

JointSmith
Expert

Post by JointSmith » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:44 pm

I've tried Nlog Synth Pro and this is exactly how it should be for ALL external app. (A guy was mentioning it in a very small list of apps with midi out, Nave,ThumbJam,WaveGenerator,WaveMapper,Animoog) the other apps were to me less focused on a basic piano layout.

- insert let's say Nlog in IAA instrument list
- activate midi out on synth
- select Nlog for input in Auria and arm rec
- go back to synth AND get the cool IAA control (play/rec/rew/back to Auria)
- hit play and record something
- Go back to Auria and the Midi is there.

I can record over while it's playing back. When hit play on the synth part I see the keys moving along with my recording.

I can also record Sunrizer/sampleTank and i'm sure more apps by routing their inputs to only Nlog just like an external keyboard. In auria, I have sunrizer loaded as an IAA inst, the midi input to all. It's recording the Midi as well as playing it back. :-)

JointSmith
Expert

Post by JointSmith » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:50 pm

Awesome for the list mschenkel!
I'll try with audiobus loaded to see if I can have that indeed needed cool little controls to hit record.
I've never used reason. I'm a pro tool/sonar user on PC and just want to load vst and deal with their midi.