An old beginner

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

ray

An old beginner

Post by ray » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:08 am

I'm new to message boards, so if this is some thing that has already been covered I'm sorry.
I stopped recording back in the late 80s and now feel the need to try again, the problem I have is that when I stopped I was using a Tascam 4 track (pretty much a plug and play). I now have an iTrack dock and have been told that auria is the way to go I've looked on you tube for help but can't find what I need, I like to play and sing with real instruments, is there something out there I've missed. Ok that's it for now

Ray

rickwaugh
Expert

Re: An old beginner

Post by rickwaugh » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:39 am

The manual is excellent. It's also free. By far the best thing to do is read it. There are the Lynda.com tutorials, but you have to pay for those.

If you are trying to figure out what hardware you need to connect, there is a list of tested hardware interfaces at the top of this forum. You plug them into the Lightning connector, you plug you mic/instruments into them, the interfaces are available in Auria. If you want opinions about each of them, all over the map.

stromberg-carlson
Expert

welcome!!!!

Post by stromberg-carlson » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:16 pm

lynda.com has an excellent video presentation on auria before it went pro. a lot of the "meat and potatoes" of auria pro are in this video and its worth a session to watch it. you may find some highlight clips of it on youtube.

and welcome friend! I am an old school music producer that still uses hardware (48 ch board mixed to DAT and recorded to a Fostex D2424LV). I still use SCSI drives and Zip drives and floppy disks! :P

my first 4 track was a Yamaha MT44 (search it ;-) ) before that I had two tape decks and a mixer. I would input synths into one tape deck, then play it back recording to the other and adding more sounds (bass, samples, etc).

this new whizz bang way of making music on portable computers is fascinating, so I welcome someone such as yourself here. We can learn together (i just got into this back in november).

ray

Post by ray » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:02 pm

Hi rickwaugh,

Thanks for your info, the manual as you say it great and very comprehensive, it may take some time to get through it all but I've made a start.
I have the iTrack dock which will work well with auria and is recommended by them.

Ray

ray

Post by ray » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:15 pm

Hi strombergh-Carlson,
It's nice to know that I'm not the only one to have just got back into recording, although it looks like you are much better prepared for the modern world than me, I am just a guy in a room with a guitar, trying to recorde for fun so I really not in your league but I try.
I think I will take your advice and pay the money and watch the videos on lynda.com.
I am also very keen to learn from you any think you will help (just keep it simple please)

Ray

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:05 pm

I'm not terribly young, either, Ray. I was in a band and had a small recording studio when I was young. I got back into recording some of my guitar work on the PC several years ago, and now work on the iPad. It's a huge learning process, but you just need to be patient with it. For what you're doing, it's pretty simple. Auria is a complicated piece of software, tied to more complicated pieces of software. Honestly, just plug everything in, and have a go. The first part is easy.

On Edit: Using the full power of Auria, and everything in it, is the complicated part. But just recording guitar and vocals isn't that hard. The dock looks like it should make the process fairly easy, as well.

stromberg-carlson
Expert

Post by stromberg-carlson » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:22 pm

Hi ray, Im Marc.

Ive never really stopped recording, and am curiously interested in these new apps for tablets. these software apps are mainly for me to have something to work on when im away from my workspace (hotel, etc.).

When i searched for a good mixer app, everything noteworthy pointed to this app. its GUI is exactly what I am used to. i thought about cubasis, but im not use to that style of interface since i dont work with daws.

there are a lot of interfaces so make sure you get one thats quality. i currently dont have one and am waiting for the artuia audiofuse to make its way to stores (hopefully in the next 4-6 weeks) as it has everything i need.

lynda.com is really recommended. i studied that as i was waiting for auria pro to be released and it really helped me to wrap my brain around audiobus, inter audio app (IAP?), etc.

ray

Post by ray » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:42 pm

Hi rickwaugh,

Well I guess I'll spend the money and down load it, and as the saying go suck it and see, (how hard can it be,haha) thanks again for your help, still working my way through the manual looks like there are some parts I won't need.

Ray

ray

Post by ray » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:51 pm

Hi Marc,

Well looks like your a long way ahead of me, and doing things that I dreamed of but didn't get to do (children, mortgage etc.) now I find I have time and am a little lost, but I'll give it a go and if I get really stuck you could be the man to set me right, so once again thanks for you help.

Ray

stromberg-carlson
Expert

Post by stromberg-carlson » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:22 pm

Mr Ray,

I understand. Most of us cats here are happy to help. Auria Pro is really fascinating as it does what a mix desk can do.. All from a handheld computer. Times are changed bro.. :)

Reach out to me anytime...

ljmaxx

Post by ljmaxx » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:11 am

Hello to everyone in this thread! I know it is over a year old thread but thought I would post on it anyway. I have been recording since early 90's and started with a Fostex Cassette 4 track recorder. Then moved to a Fostex DMT8 which at the time was fantastic. My next move was to an Akai DPS16 which was even better than the DMT8. My last move was to the Akai DPS24 and that was what I stayed with until a few months ago.

I saw on youtube how so many were using an Ipad to record with so I bought an Ipad Air 2 128gb and bought the Auria Pro App. Wow, talk about being completely lost in the deep woods. I watched the Lynda.com course on AP but it was outdated so didn't learn much even though they stated the course was updated it was not.

I now have a problem with how vocals are being recorded. They have a phase sound to them and I don't see anywhere on Auria Pro to correct the phase sound. With no effects on vocals the phase sound is still there. Anyone know how to fix the problem??? Oh I have tried switching XLR Cables and Microphones with same results. XLR Cables are made by B.L.U.E. and mics are Neumann BCM104, Neumann TLM103, Blue Blueberry and Bottle Rocket. I am also using the Itrack Dock. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :?

Tovokas
Expert

Post by Tovokas » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:57 am

Welcome!

You can flip a track's polarity using the phase button in the Channel Strip. (FX->Channel Strip tab... it's the button just under the 'SAT' button near the fader). However, since inverting phase is only useful in fixing the problems associated with some other track causing phasing issues with the recorded track, it wouldn't appear to be helpful if you're noticing the strange sound with only the single recorded vocal track...

Do you experience the distortion using the same equipment recording into your Akai? If not, when you record into Auria, are you hearing the phasing while you monitor/record, or just when you play the file back? Is the phasing only occurring with the vocals, or with everything you record?

(I don't have an iTrack Dock, so I can't help you there).