Auria Pro often closes in the background

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Dancore
Expert

Auria Pro often closes in the background

Post by Dancore » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:23 am

Hi Rim

I've been using Auria Pro for a couple of weeks now, and put it through its paces a fair amount.

It has not crashed once on me while the app is open, which is great. It's been very stable when working.

However, when background audio switched on, and Auria Pro is open in the background with an extremely 'light' project open (one midi drum track and one midi piano track - both Lyra), Auria Pro crashes every 5 minutes or so.

This happens if I arm a midi track and jam on a hardware midi keyboard while AP is in the background, or simply leave a track playing on loop.

All other apps closed, IPad Air 2, plenty of free space, iOS 9.2, Aurio Pro 2.02.

Many thanks
Last edited by Dancore on Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Auria Pro often crashes in the background

Post by Rim » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:41 am

What you're describing isn't really a crash. It's iOS shutting down Auria. There's some iOS issue that shuts down background apps when they use too much memory. Hopefully Apple will take a look at this.

Rim

Dancore
Expert

Post by Dancore » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:43 pm

That makes sense to a certain degree.
You'd think that iOS would only shut down background apps when 'unused' to free up space. An app running background audio should be kept at a higher priority to be kept open. The same thing has happened to me when simply locking the screen with AP open and continuing to play on the keyboard too. Is that expected behaviour too?

Many thanks.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:32 pm

I completely agree. No one really knows how iOS does it's thing... I suspect there are priorities over which apps get shut down, but I'm guessing this is actually an iOS bug, since it doesn't happen in older versions of iOS.

Rim

ntek

Re: Auria Pro often closes in the background

Post by ntek » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:09 pm

Hi Rim

To me it seems to be related to Lyra. I've run 10 midi channels from genome into 10 fab one s with auria in the background without a problem for more than an hour just to test if it would be possible. Also had 2 very heavy twins running with Saturn and timeless running without a problem changing notes and velocity on the fly. But As soon as I add a Lyra Auria closes down and reloads the open file after about a minute. I have this with even just a single 4 x 4 kick from patterning or modstep or thesys. Lyra doesn't seem to like sudden changes like sliding up velocity on a note or or even adding more notes from any of the sequencers I have hooked up to it so far. This is on an air 1 running 9.2.

Anyways I am pretty amazed by how hard I can run Auria Pro on an air 1 without freezing any tracks.

Could we have a version of Lyra like abletons simpler where you just load one sample (from audioshare) and have
control over start and end points + an adsr?

N

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:40 pm

It happens most often with Lyra because Lyra has the potential to use a lot of memory at a given time. Plugins generally don't use a lot of memory. Remember, it's not about CPU usage, but memory usage.

Rim

King
Expert

Post by King » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:01 am

Still trying to get this one sussed. Some projects play in the background with LYRA drums in the track. Others 50 sec to a minute.

ios vs/+ bugs. ;)

(ios 8.1.2)

Added: only reason I haven't updated to the latest iOS yet is because I need full access to Beatmaker 2.
_____________________________1 Luv_____________________________

_____________________________King____________________________