Bugs in Piano Roll Editor

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

ChrisBass

Bugs in Piano Roll Editor

Post by ChrisBass » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:13 pm

I am struggling to do some basic drum editing in Piano Roll. I am experiencing all kinds of bugs:

- Notes randomly disappear when editing other sections of the region, forcing me to have to manually rebuild whole sections of notes on multiple occasions.
- Notes randomly change position horizontally (going out of time) after editing other notes.
- When changing note length, the length display started showing either a long strip or a tiny sliver, but nothing in between (I.e., anything under a length of say, 0, shows a tiny note, but then if you increase it even by a little, the displayed note goes the the maximum size, but nothing in between.

This is very frustrating as I try to edit a basic pattern by trial and error and constantly rebuilding parts that randomly change or disappear without warning.

ChrisBass

Re: Bugs in Piano Roll Editor

Post by ChrisBass » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:24 pm

Also, sometimes changing the note length, suddenly changes the note's horizontal position instead. (???)

ChrisBass

Post by ChrisBass » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:52 pm

Also, sometime press and hold to move a note works, sometimes it doesn't, but just scrolls the screen when you move.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:42 pm

The piano roll is completely changing in 2.03, but in the mean time, here are some tips:

- The easiest way to move and edit notes is to use draw mode in the piano roll. This is enabled with the little pencil icon at the top. In this mode, it is not necessary to tap and hold to move notes. You simple tap and move them right away.

- In draw mode, you can also delete notes by simply tapping on them. So be careful you don't accidentally tap on a note to delete it unless you want to.

- The "slivers" you're talking about can happen if you move a note on top of another note. Auria will shorten the note underneath, and this sometimes results in a tiny remaining note. This can also happen if you lengthen a note, and there's another note ahead of it. The new lengthened note could overwrite the other note, causing only a small section of the note to remain. 2.03 will delete these notes instead of lengthening them...

Rim

balrog

Post by balrog » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:28 pm

I must confess that I've kind of given up on editing midi in Auria pro as that editor is just too frustrating to use. Good to hear that it's getting a makeover though. I'd consider the Gadget piano roll editor the gold standard at the moment, so the more like that it can be the better.

balrog

Post by balrog » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:04 pm

Hmm, I am using 2.03. The piano roll editor is still horrible. Whenever I try and move a note it creates a new (tiny) one. Lassoing doesn't seem to work. Tapping notes seems to change that note and random other ones to a random length.
The only function which seems to work properly is 'undo', which I'm having to use constantly.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:06 pm

Would you mind sending me a video of how you're using the piano roll? I can't get it to do what you're talking about here. 2.03 works perfectly for me - tapping on a note and dragging it moves the note. You're probably doing something quite different than I am, so a video will really help me see what you're doing.

Make sure you don't have the multiselect icon enabled, as that will allow you to move more than one note at a time. Also, if you've highlighted several notes and they're selected, moving one of them will move the whole group. Perhaps that's what you're seeing?

Thanks,
Rm

balrog

Post by balrog » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:05 pm

I had another go at it last night and noticed that on my iPad (an Air2) it seems that the touch area and the display are offset. To 'touch' an event one has to touch the screen about half a centimeter above the box on the screen. Touching the actual box often seems to affect the next event down instead of the one you are actually touching.

As one of the persistent problems with touch interfaces is that it's very hard to see things behind your finger wouldn't it make sense to shift this so the touch is biased to the bottom of the event rather than the top?

For higher precision I like the the iDraw approach of having a popup loupe that appears in the corner of the screen.

I'll take a look at doing a video later today.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:15 pm

This is really strange. Is anyone else having an issue with the touch area not responding right at your fingertip? I tried this just now on an Air 2, and it responds right where my finger is. I'm wondering if finger size has something to do with it? Are you noticing a similar issue in other apps, or is it just Auria?

Rim

balrog

Post by balrog » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:07 am

Just on Auria. My fingers aren't particularly big, a 'medium' in most gloves.

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:39 pm

Rim wrote:This is really strange. Is anyone else having an issue with the touch area not responding right at your fingertip? I tried this just now on an Air 2, and it responds right where my finger is. I'm wondering if finger size has something to do with it? Are you noticing a similar issue in other apps, or is it just Auria?

Rim
funny you should mention that, I've an air 2 and noticed touch issues once upgraded to 2.03. The overall feeling was that I kept on somehow missing selecting regions or selecting the wrong ones. I figured out that I had to touch 'above' the regions from where I normally would of done in 2.02 (and in fact every other version of Auria). Thought I'd gone a bit bonkers.

Is this a real issue with the air 2 and 2.03?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:54 am

I'll do a more detailed investigation on this, it might be a bug that's unique to certain models.

Rim

mschenkel
Expert

Post by mschenkel » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:25 am

Are you guys reporting this behavior while in xT or xD grid snap?

IndieP
Expert

Post by IndieP » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:34 am

Hi,
I came across your thread looking for an answer to the distorted sounds in Lyra, and noticed you are having the same problem that I am having. I'm new to Auria Pro which I have installed on a recently purchased iPad Air 2. In the piano roll, the top 1/3rd of the black keys plays the note above it, and the lower 1/3rd of the white keys plays the note below it.
Have you figured out this problem yet?
Thanks.