Effects chain with vocalive app

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Skippy567
Expert

Effects chain with vocalive app

Post by Skippy567 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:54 pm

I have recorded a dry vocal track and now set to apply effects. I was going to try and experiment with the vocalive app but when I put it in the chain it doesn't want to work. Any tricks or will this app not work?

Omighty

Re: Effects chain with vocalive app

Post by Omighty » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:07 pm

Haven't had any luck using vocalive as an iaa plugin inside aurias channelstrip, it just fc. It does work as an effect in audiobus tho. Retune (plugin) and Aututune (APP) will allow you to easily do what your asking but it may or may not produce the sound you want compared to vocalive.

sodium
Expert

Post by sodium » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:30 am

(this probably wont be a big help to you but...) I used to use VL but with Auria hitting its straps so great I really dont bother with it anymore. Much better to use Auria channel strip and 3rd party plugs to get kicking vocal sounds.
"get down off that cross we could use the wood..."

Skippy567
Expert

Post by Skippy567 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:24 pm

Any recomadations on the best plug in specifically for vocals?

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:20 pm

'The best' will depend upon what vocal fx you want to achieve. Vocalive works fine with Auria. Whether you put VL in your vocal track's Insert FX slot or in an AuxFX slot is up to you.

How are you putting "it in the chain"?

Skippy567
Expert

Post by Skippy567 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:03 am

Maybe that's where I need help. I just put it in on the right side where the other plugins are in the effects chain. How should I be using vocalive?

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:21 am

I wouldn't say there's any 'proper' way to use VL in Auria. Using it as a Track Insert Effect (the slots in the right hand side) should work fine. Can you confirm which version of Auria you're using ('Menu -> Settings -> General (Tab) -> bottom-right of screen')?

It might be an idea to test with a fresh project, with only one track (containing some vocal audio) and VL in that track's top InsertFX slot. When you select VocaLive for iPad in the slot, be patient and allow VL plenty of time to initialise and display the IAA Transport Controls (it can display the naff IKMultimedia splash screen for a looong time, on older iPads). Be careful to start with as much free RAM as possible too.

stromberg-carlson
Expert

Vocalive working with Auria PRO?

Post by stromberg-carlson » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:37 pm

Mr. Rim confirmed in a November 2015 post that this app was crashing and not working with Auria. I think this was before PRO was released.

I apologize for intercepting this thread, but wanted to confirm this DOES work in either audiobus and/or IAA before I drop some dough on It.

I'm very new to Apple and software apps so patience is welcomed. This discussion thus far has not confirmed that it's working properly as an effect in audio bus..

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:10 pm

@stromberg-carlson : All I can tell you is that I am able to use VocaLive for iPad, as a Channel Strip Insert Effect (IAA), processing a pre-recorded mono vocal track of c.3min in Auria Pro on an iPad3. I was able to bounce the track to another track and also able to Bounce Track in Place. I haven't tried anything more complicated than that but I had no crashes. This was a very simple test project. Big projects, using more resources, might experience problems, however.

VocaLive for iPad v2.0.3
Auria Pro v2.02
iPad 3/64
iOS v8.4.1

Omighty

Post by Omighty » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:22 am

Washboy wrote:@stromberg-carlson : All I can tell you is that I am able to use VocaLive for iPad, as a Channel Strip Insert Effect (IAA), processing a pre-recorded mono vocal track of c.3min in Auria Pro on an iPad3. I was able to bounce the track to another track and also able to Bounce Track in Place. I haven't tried anything more complicated than that but I had no crashes. This was a very simple test project. Big projects, using more resources, might experience problems, however.

VocaLive for iPad v2.0.3
Auria Pro v2.02
iPad 3/64
iOS v8.4.1
How is this? VL never loads into Aurias channel strip for me as an FX. Vocalive will launch and the FC and it will not operate as an iaa as I would like so if you know a way around this explain plz what you do differently?

stromberg-carlson
Expert

could be due to iOS version?

Post by stromberg-carlson » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:55 am

perhaps since he/she is on ios8 explains?

seems those on ios9 may get FC errors and those on older firmware are not..?

Omighty

Re: could be due to iOS version?

Post by Omighty » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:13 am

stromberg-carlson wrote:perhaps since he/she is on ios8 explains?

seems those on ios9 may get FC errors and those on older firmware are not..?
...possibly

Too bad, downgrading doesn't seem like a satisfying workaround for me.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:45 am

@stromberg-carlson: Please excuse my ignorance but what is an "FC error"?

stromberg-carlson
Expert

Post by stromberg-carlson » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:34 am

Force Close

yes i will not downgrade either!! not an option.

i purchased the app anyway because even on its own it looks to be a solid piece of kit. i have not tested it with auria but i will give it a go. still wrapping my head around auria (im a hardware guy). :oops:

Omighty

Post by Omighty » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:21 am

stromberg-carlson wrote:Force Close

yes i will not downgrade either!! not an option.

i purchased the app anyway because even on its own it looks to be a solid piece of kit. i have not tested it with auria but i will give it a go. still wrapping my head around auria (im a hardware guy). :oops:

It's definitely worth the the time to learn check out the user Manuel for helpful tips.

As I said before, the best u can do is rec through audiobus into Aruria. I would like to be wrong I might be so ill stand corrected if someone can shed a better light.