No sound from other tracks when connected to Thor

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Nyanko
Expert

No sound from other tracks when connected to Thor

Post by Nyanko » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:23 am

Hi, I have noticed a weird behavior when auria is connected to Thor via a midi channel.
If I try to play an internal instrument on another midi track, the stuff I have entered in the sequencer is executed properly but when I try to play with the internal piano keyboard, I get no sound. If I kill Thor app, I get the sound back in my track though. Is it normal behavior or is there some parameter I need to change somehow? Thanks.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: No sound from other tracks when connected to Thor

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:55 am

Can I ask how you are connecting Thor to a midi channel? I can't get Thor to show up in the midi instrument list. I can only use Thor as an IAA plugin right now. Is that how you are connecting Thor? Cheers

Nyanko
Expert

Post by Nyanko » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:40 am

Yeah I use it with the IAA plugin. Maybe that's why it interferes badly with in app midi instruments actually.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:42 am

Are you trying to play an IAA using the Lyra keyboard? This isn't supported (the Lyra keyboard is only used for playing Lyra).

Rim

Cpu Red
Expert

Post by Cpu Red » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:44 am

This has been going on for quite some time actually. Often if thor is in an iaa slot then the sound output from auria is gone. If you press a key on the keyboard inside of thor then it starts again for a couple of seconds only to shut off again. I was hoping this problem would go away in the pro version but i see it hasnt. I usually just record thor into audioshare for this reason.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:47 am

That's interesting. Have you contacted the developer of Thor to see why it's doing this?

Rim

Cpu Red
Expert

Post by Cpu Red » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:07 am

No , i hadnt cared enough since i can record into audioshare with it and open in into Auria, so it wasnt that big of an issue.

Nyanko
Expert

Post by Nyanko » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:33 am

Cpu Red wrote:This has been going on for quite some time actually. Often if thor is in an iaa slot then the sound output from auria is gone. If you press a key on the keyboard inside of thor then it starts again for a couple of seconds only to shut off again. I was hoping this problem would go away in the pro version but i see it hasnt. I usually just record thor into audioshare for this reason.
Yeah it's exactly what I am going through. I didn't know it was like that for some time though cause I have been using the iaa only since auria pro. Thanks for the insight.

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:01 am

Rim wrote:That's interesting. Have you contacted the developer of Thor to see why it's doing this?

Rim
Unfortunately Propellerheads doesn`t seem to care much about Thor (a real shame) on iOS,they never delivered an update to make it working as an IAA instrument as well and i remember that it was not easy to send them a support mail .Afair you need an account first etc ( i did it once for the Rebirth app but at least i got an answer some day later...)
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:02 pm

Unfortunately, I've never got Thor to work as an IAA with Auria. A shame: it's the best iOS synth hands down IMO.

krzycrs
Expert

Post by krzycrs » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:20 pm

poll: synths be played audiobuswise or else? :)

Cpu Red
Expert

Post by Cpu Red » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:38 am

After three weeks and ten emails, this is the only real response to this problem I have received from propellerhead. This was over two weeks ago and I havent heard back from them since. I had to pester them for a week to even get this response:

"Thor sends audio as a generator, but Auria should be owning the audio session since it's hooking up Thor as an input to its session. I don't see how Thor could negatively affect Auria's setup to the level where all other audio stops.

I'll ask around to some other developers but right now I have no idea what could be happening."

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:58 am

Thanks, if they want to contact me directly, please have them e-mail me. Typically when you see all audio being killed like that, it's because something is outputting a NaN. NaNs are special values in a floating point system (it stands for Not A Number). If iOS (Core Audio) ever encounters a NaN in the audio stream, it shuts off all audio for protection. Most likely Thor is outputting a NaN.

Rim