How to extract specific notes to a new track?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

ecstaticax

How to extract specific notes to a new track?

Post by ecstaticax » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:53 am

First of all, Happy Xmas to you all. Now the question :D

If I have a midi drum track, and I want to extract only the kick to a new track, how can I do it apart from selecting all the notes, copying and manually pasting them to a new track?

If not possible, how can I select all C3s, for example, in a fast way?

Thanks I'm advance, and greetings!

Gianluca

mtingle
Expert

Re: How to extract specific notes to a new track?

Post by mtingle » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:57 am

to select all C3's you select the piano note and it selects all notes on that note.

ecstaticax

Post by ecstaticax » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:26 am

Thanks!

TedBPhx
Expert

Post by TedBPhx » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:07 am

Nice tip!

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:45 am

Have a look at Midiflow, if you are getting everything coming in on the same channel. You can separate out your drums at recording time, by channel or note. Works very nicely.

Ericd921
Expert

Post by Ericd921 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:12 pm

I second Rickwaugh on Midiflow support...that app does wonders! I've got my drums separated into 8 tracks in Auria, and setup was super easy. Runs transparently in the background and doesn't eat up system resources at all. Best little bit of coin I've spent on an iOS app in quite a while, didn't realize how indispensable it is for my setup until I had it!
Eric

wayni
Expert

Post by wayni » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:24 pm

Please expand on using Midiflow for me. What's you usual setup?

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:59 am

I use a Percpad drum pad, with four different pads. They call come out of it on channel 10, with different midi notes. I use an iRig Pro as an interface. So, there are four inputs to midi flow, one for each pad. Input 1, takes channel tone, and note B1, (it's a range, B1 to B1,) gets sent out to channel 1. Second one is range D2 to D2, that goes out to channel 2. The Percpad is sending one pad as note B1, another as D2, one as F#2, one as A#2. In the channel strip in Auria Pro, I set input channel on track 1 to channel, track 2 to channel 2, etc.

wayni
Expert

Post by wayni » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:34 am

I've done pretty much what you describe but am not able to view any output in MIDIflow. The different being that I am using a drum track within Auria as mmm my input. I just want to bust everything down to individual tracks.

Drum track is set as channel 10, output to network session in the channel strip.
I then have new, empty, tracks 11, 12 with I input network session on channels 11, 12.
Midi setup is to receive notes, mtc on network session.

I have three routings in midiflow.
One for clock to Auria. Start stops ok. See activity.
One in from Auria on channel 10, note range c1 to Auria channel 11. No activity.
One in from Auria on channel 10, note range d1 to Auria channel 12. No activity.

I don't see anything. I've also took a look in midiview.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:31 pm

Okay, I'm confused. I may be doing this incorrectly, I haven't routed from Auria to Auria before, only from a drum machine to Auria.

I have set up a new project in Auria, with 5 tracks, all midi. Track one has a series of notes, C2, C#2, D2, D#2. I set the midi output to Network Session 1.

I create four routes in Midiflow. Input is network session 1. I send each note separately to a custom virtual output, a different one for each route.

In Auria, in track 2, I set the input to the first customer virtual output, track 3 to the next, etc.

I set the four tracks to record. I press play. I get nothing. Nothing is coming into Midiflow, either - I can't see anything in the debug information.

I have tried setting the channel output in Midiflow, and setting the channel in Auria, also. Nothing.

Rim, or anyone else, am I doing something wrong? I think this should work.

wayni
Expert

Post by wayni » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:26 pm

I'm unable to get Auria to chase MTC from MIDIflow or MIDIBus as well. I get flashing green meaning it is chasing but not locked on. I'm going to find another app- drum machine- and verify.

Yep. Nope. DM-1 displays same behavior.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:53 pm

Just installed the latest beta. Same thing. Can't see the notes in Midiflow coming from network session 1.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:57 pm

Interesting, if I create a midi clock routing, I can see that. Just no notes.

wayni
Expert

Post by wayni » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:08 pm

There's just nothing that's going out to Network Session.

I loaded Module up. I go into Auria settings and direct it to only send notes to Network Session. Then set up output in the Channel Strip to send out to Network Session as well. Nothing. Module won't play unless I route specifically to Module itself from both locations.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:01 pm

Finally got this to go with a pointer from Funjunkie27.

Network Session 1 is not working. So get Auria Pro and Midiflow started. In Midiflow, create a a new Virtual input. Set this at the input to all your Midiflow routes. Also, transpose the output channel to a new channel, a different one for each track in Auria. And assign the output to an individual virtual output, you can create them if you have to in Midiflow.

In Auria, in each new track, set the input to the track to the matching virtual output from Midiflow, and to the matching channel from the Midiflow route.

I now get the split exactly as I want, by note, going into the individual channels.