Compatibility with Focusrite 18i8 lost?

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

JohnBH

Compatibility with Focusrite 18i8 lost?

Post by JohnBH » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:26 pm

I've recently upgraded to an iPad Pro & to Auria Pro and link them to by Focusrite 18i8 audio interface.
Up until now, I've had no issues with the compatibility of Auria & the Focusrite, but now when linked the system regularly crashes, when recording, before crashing, there's a big latency issue making Auria unusable.
The iPad Pro is using iOS 9.2, is that the problem?

Any help / advice?

John

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Compatibility with Focusrite 18i8 lost?

Post by Rim » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:23 pm

This is an iOS issue, not an Auria one apparently. Focusrite and I have let Apple know about it, and we're waiting for a response. It's something that occurred in iOS 9.2

Rim

JohnBH

Post by JohnBH » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:13 pm

Ok thanks, will await a reply from Apple and see what the solution is.
Have a good Christmas.

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:52 am

John I had exactly the same problem with the Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 and reverted back to iOS 9.1 and everything is running smoothly again. I asked APPLE for help to return my IPad Pro back to 9.1 but they refused to help. I ended up going to the following website for guidance on how to get back to 9.1 if the information and relevant file is still available.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/12/08 ... m-ios-9-2/

JohnBH

Post by JohnBH » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:33 am

Morgan
Thank for that, in the meantime I've downloaded and installed an updated firmware for my Focusrite at the following site:-
http://uk.focusrite.com

This seems to have made the Focusrite / Auria connection alot more stable under ios9.2. (Although it has crashed once since).

Will see how this goes and keep you informed.

Thanks

John

EssexGooner
Expert

Post by EssexGooner » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:57 am

I've got the same problem.

http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 399#p46399

I'm reluctant to downgrade back to 9.1 and it was more than 2 weeks ago that I upgraded so I'm not sure if it would be possible anyway.

I just hope it gets sorted soon as I can't record into Auria with the equioment I have. Does anyone know if other hardware that uses the USB connection to connect has the same problem?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:29 am

All audio apps are suffering from the same issues under iOS 9.2, and this affects most USB audio devices. Until Apple fixes this, there's not much that can be done unfortunately. App developers have no control over the audio system.

Rim

dvarnav

Post by dvarnav » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:57 am

I have also the same issue with almost all audio apps
ios 9.2/ ipad Air 2/ Scarlett 6i6

I have done some tests and I found that initially (I mean on fresh boot of ipad) applications works perfect. After pressing home button for switching from one app to another then you hear click and pops and then the 800ms latency issue starts. its very strange that there is application that bypass easily the issue check out virsyn. Another thing that i have to report on that issue is that changing the sample rate settings on any application that allows that (like animoog) makes a lot of trouble in the interface of focurite. I assume that in ios 9.2 they have done something in sample rate parameters settings that makes focurite obsolete. I tested the same apps with a USB DAC from Fiio E7 and it worked like a charm no problem at all. The issue should be fixed ASAP I hope 9.3 will take account that but since i have seen the ignorance at 9.2.1 I am not sure they are working on it.

Metallion
Expert

Post by Metallion » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:38 pm

Well, i have the same problem.
This week i updated to 9.2.1 and now, it's simply impossible.
I must reboot iOS at least 10 times in order to possibly start Cubasis or Auria without latency.

I finished right now another iOs fresh install and the problem persists.
I contacted Apple, lets see what they say..

Metallion
Expert

Post by Metallion » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:44 am

I reported now the problem to Apple:

"Hi.
I have 2 problems, which may be 2 problems of another people too.

First:
I use apple products to work, i have an iPad Air 2 and other Apple products too, but my problem now is with iPad Air 2.
I use it in music environments, in a rehearsal room for example. I use a lighting to USB cable, atacched to it, an Audio Interface (Focusrite Scarlett 18i8).
The software/app i use with it is "Cubasis" and "Auria Pro".

Expected:
Open "Cubasis" or "Auria Pro", select the sample rate (48 or 44 kHz), Bit resolution (16 or 24) and finally hardware latency (128 or 256 or 512).
Those options should change the audio interface in real time and work. The sound should pass from the audio interface to the line outs without apparent latency.
Since iOS 9 firmware me and other professionals have been having problems, instability with these options, the only solution would be rebooting the iPad Air 2 a couple of times expecting it to work at some time.
But since now, the iOS 9.2.1, the problem is impossible to work around.
I installed again the firmware 9.2.1, i reboot a couple of times... and nothing work.
Developers of Cubasis and Auria Pro are saying that is a problem of iOS 9.
I give here one link of a forum that other users describe this problem:
(gave this forum link)
What solution can you give us ASAP ?

Second:
This is a suggestion. For cases like this, exceptionally Apple should provide the possibility to downgrade the iOS. AT LEAST with the iOS that we bought the system.
Apple have access to all that is needed to do that.
We understand the marketing involved, the ideias, the protection etc, but there are always exotic cases, that at least some of us really need to have the system like we bought it!
My iPad Air 2 is slow with 9.2.1. Period.
If it came with iOS 8... LET us install our iOS 8. Or select one iOS that worked without some user problems.
"

Cyril777
Expert

Post by Cyril777 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:46 am

Hi,
may I add my personal experience to this topic, because I'm experimenting the same issue but with slight differences, differences which could have a significant meaning.
I have the same issues as described above : latency with almost every music apps, works fine just after I reboot my Scarlett 6i6, but after the smallest change (pressing home button, opening another app...), a light sound in very high frequency appears, like a small Larsen, the latency is here, and my speakers become ultra sensitive with every closing/launching apps.
Except these issues appear when I use my new iPad Pro instead of my usual iPad Air 1. When I plug back my iPad Air to the 6i6, no latency issue, no buzzing. But my Air 1 and Pro are both running under iOS 9.2 (.1 now...).
More : I have an Apogee Duet too. And I've got not a single issue with my iPad Pro, running under iOS 9.2.1.
So, in my case, under iOS 9.2 : iPad Pro + Scarlett 6i6 = problems, unsolved
iPad Air + Scarlett 6i6 = OK
Air & Pro + Apogee = OK
So, it's still hard to know what exactly causes these problems, but it looks like it's coming from Focusrite more than iOS 9.2. I explained all this in detail to Focusrite support but so far, they just told me that they received my mail !!! Nothing since... I think that their support team is not taking this issue very seriously... And it's really irritating me ! My guess is that iPad users are considered with less regards than desktop DAWs users. I will send another mail tomorrow, maybe I'll be luckier this time, I'll let you know.
best regards

Gmokus0827

Post by Gmokus0827 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:23 pm

Has anyone found a solution or suitable workaround to this issue? This may be the cause of my troubles as well. Auria pro, Midi Flow and GarageBand all refuse to open regardless of measures I've taken to resolve it, including ram clearing, hard reset, deleting and reinstalling apps, and even installing the 9.3 beta. I use both the Scarlett 18i8 and iRig pro. Totally dead in the water.

GuntharBecker
Expert

Post by GuntharBecker » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:44 pm

I found this workaround from a thread over at the Auduibus forum -

Plug something into the headphone jack - a pair of cans (or in my instance a 1/4 to 1/8 inch adapter)... Then unplug it. Latency gone.

I find I have to do this every time I open up a new app, but it solves the issue for me.

Let me know if it works out for you.
iPad Air 2 64, Scarlett 18i8, Auria, etc.

Cyril777
Expert

Post by Cyril777 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:51 pm

GuntharBecker wrote:I find I have to do this every time I open up a new app, but it solves the issue for me.

Let me know if it works out for you.

Well, this issue gets weirder each time I give it another try. If this "trick" does make any sens to the technicians of Focusrite, it's worth to be known.
But, even if you say it solves the problem when you do it, the latency comes back anyway, and you can't work like this.
I say (write) it again but I'm really angry toward the people of Focusrite. If I had not the chance to have another soundcard, I would be stuck and unable to work for the past 3 months. I mean, you can always use the headphones output if it's the only way you can work but even like that...
I red some posts above and I admire the abnegation of some users who don't give up and unplug, replug, unplug ... as many times as it requires! I guess that the majority of users in this forum use mainly, and almost only Auria, with IAA apps and FX too, but, as I red on many posts, these users stays with Auria opened like a desktop DAW user would.
But for users who open and close a LOTS of apps during their session, the behavior of my Scarlett is unbearable, since, in my case anyway, the 2 bugs (the latency issue and the light high "buzzing" sound appears EACH and EVERY time I want to do something else than staying on the opened app which is running. Just pressing the home button or switching to another app results of the apparition of these bugs.
I'm sorry, each time I write about it it gets on my nerves and I can't stop complaining.
I will just finish by saying -again !- that the relative inconsistency of Focusrite regarding this issue is a total disrespect of its customers. Even if, when this problem first appeared, the large majority of users was blaming iOS 9 rather than th hardware, Focusrite should have make a move by now, or at least they should recognize this issue as a constant and report it, officially, on their website, just to show the customers that they know the problem and they are working on it.... I mean.. it's common sense!
What's the point of aiming the iOS music producer community with a kind of "dedicated" lign of product, the Scarlett (it is sold on the Apple Store !), it in the meantime not taking this community seriously... My 6i6 is still under warranty, and I would have tried to return it and buy another brand but try to justify that it's not operational...

I'd really like to hear someone from Focusrite on this forum speaking of this problem! One never knows....

best wishes

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:18 pm

Cyril777 wrote:...I'd really like to hear someone from Focusrite on this forum speaking of this problem! One never knows....
@Katherine_Focusrite and @Matt.Focusrite used to drop in here occasionally but they've not been seen for many moons now.