After testing Auria Pro in a rehearsal of 3 hours...

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Metallion
Expert

After testing Auria Pro in a rehearsal of 3 hours...

Post by Metallion » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:37 pm

After testing Auria Pro in a rehearsal of 3 hours:

iPad Air 2
Project with 48k
Latency 128 and sometimes i tried at 256
3 audio tracks (2 micro, 1 bass)
8 midi tracks with different instruments
1 subgroup channel with convolution reverb (2 micro sent here)

At the beggining of the rehearsal, the battery was at 50%, after 2 hours and half, i lost all battery.
(I hate to do comparisons, but its in the name of progress only, i have to say, that with the same inputs and midi configurations Cubasis would only lost maybe 10% of battery).

During the rehearsal i had lots of midi panic notes, causing me to close Auria Pro and re open to stop those hanging notes.

With 7 midi tracks, both with instruments, i can only play 2 or 3 at the same time without having crackling occuring.

I notice sometimes latency would appear, in microphones or piano (with midi tracks), forcing me to close and re open Auria Pro in order to latency settings respected the 128 or 256 samples settings.

Another important question, in Cubasis, in each track i can select all the outputs i want to send that track (like headphones etc, like select 1-2 ; 3-4 ; 5-6)

I couldnt find a way to do this in Auria Pro mixer. I have selected the standard coreaudio more. Do i need to select multiroute?

Suggestions:

1) The method of the Cubasis to select locators to make loops is very simple, press for 1,5s on the audio/midi file and the locators automatically appear. In Auria we dont even see at first glance the method of using locators. and to use it correctly we need to choose first the method of: beats, events, etc. I think that, less steps, better workflow. So i suggest let this present method be, but add a simples one: press and hold the sample or samples and locators appear selecting them all.

2) i had to add some tracks during the rehearsal and i had to re order the channels/tracks in the mixer.
I found that the only way is, go to editing window, press 2 seconds on the track we want to change position and re order it in vertical. Can this be done in the mixer? One Press 2 seconds in the name of the channel and re order it?

3) 2 finger pressing a sample could show a menu with options applyable to that sample. (Reverse, convert to midi, etc)

Just my 2 cents!
Anyway... Great great work!

Rim
Site Admin

Re: After testing Auria Pro in a rehearsal of 3 hours...

Post by Rim » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:58 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

Keep in mind that your battery life might be better on Cubasis or other simpler DAWs, but good quality instruments use a lot more processing power. Definitely Auria will be using more battery than other apps.

When you say "midi panic notes", do you mean that you hear the some notes playing, even after you press stop on the transport? If these were IAA instruments you were playing, this issue has been found already and fixed. It'll appear in the next update (2.01)

It's not unusual to quickly exceed the capabilities of your iPad with the built-in synths, especially Twin2 and One. These synths will use up CPU very quickly, and a few of the presets can only be very fast iPads, like an iPad Pro. We've asked FabFilter about this and their response is that these are highly complex synths and some presets will be very CPU heavy. So I suggest picking the presets carefully, as some of them are monsters!

Auria does have a very easy way of setting your locators to a region. Just tap on the region once, then choose Loop To Selection from the Edit menu.

Tapping and holding is already reserved for moving a region, and using two fingers to do the same would too easily be triggered when you're pinch zooming with two fingers.

Rim

Metallion
Expert

Post by Metallion » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:12 pm

Panic notes happened only with built in instruments.
I never was recording, only used auria pro as a real time mixer.
The only solution was just close and re open.

I edited the post adding the multi output question, please, can you answer?

About the locators..i will check it!

Thanks for the answering so fast.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:17 pm

Thanks. Were you using a keyboard controller with aftertouch to send notes to Lyra? If so, that's another bug that I already know about. Hopefully it'll get addressed soon.

Direct outputs is a feature that's coming in v2.01, sometime next week.

You also mentioned latency. Can you describe this in more detail? What exactly happened? Was it only from a synth, or with audio track,etc. How did it happen and what did you hear?

Rim

Metallion
Expert

Post by Metallion » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:27 pm

Its a cme uf5 midi controller. No aftertouch. And yes, all of the instruments my player was using were from lyra.

About the latency, i cant say more. I always restart my ipad before opeing this kind of app.
I create a template, i choose 48K, a few channels, i select the latency settings normally 128 or 256, because i only tend to use the mixer in real time (for now).
As soon as i start to had FX, in my case convolution reverb (one).. I can notice latency. If i close auria, open, and its all good... I had more midi channels or change some values in fx, randomly latency appear.
I close and re open and things get good again... My students that i "used" dindt notice this latency, but as i got the bass in my hands or their micros, i found latency. I then, close auria, re open, things were good now.

Wait, yes uf5 controller have aftertouch for what im seeing in the internet. My fault then.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:40 pm

Ok, I see you're using it live. You can't get rid of latency when using it live - that would defeat physics ;) So things like Latency compensation, etc only work when you're playing back audio, not playing it live. The convolution reverb has a massive amount of latency, so this shouldn't typically be used live. Smaller reverbs don't have much latency, but convolution will always have a lot of latency. There are other plugins with lots of latency, for example Drumagog. But as I mentioned, latency is non-existant in all of these plugins when you're using Auria normally, because it's all compensated for automatically, so you don't hear it. It's only when you're using it in a live setting and monitoring the output that you can't avoid latency. The buffer size setting is only a small part of the picture. Plugins are where most of the latency comes in in a live setting.

Rim

Metallion
Expert

Post by Metallion » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:53 pm

Yes i know all of that.. but in this specific case, latency appear from nothing... it's like... appears after a few minutes.

So, it's not always there (Of course there is always latency, but when i mean latency appears, i mean... a considerable amount of latency appears).

But as i see, this is happening with convolution reverb. Even though we can have some latency, after a time, the project have more latency. Close, reopen. All good now. (with a normal, expected and almost imperceptible latency)

Anyway, i will do more tests.

Sorry for my english, sometimes i may not explain well.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:06 pm

Not a problem, your english is great. If you can possibly find a reason for your sudden increase in latency, please let me know. For example, after you press this button, or after this plugin was added, or after you press undo, etc. This will help me find a bug (if there is one).

Thanks,
Rim

Cpu Red
Expert

Post by Cpu Red » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:56 pm

I noticed hanging notes when controlling animoog with aurias midi sequencer today. Is this the problem you found? Im hoping its on aurias side as im sure it will get resolved. Animoog hardly updates their app and dont adress these problems. I havent noticed this problem with midi genome and usibg thecsame auria sequence to control thor worked fine.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:54 pm

Yes, I fixed a bug that was not sending All Notes Off to IAAs inserted in the instrument menu. IAAs inserted in the regular inserts were sending these correctly, just not the ones inserted into the instrument menu.

Rim

Cpu Red
Expert

Post by Cpu Red » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:38 pm

Oh well i was getting hanging notes when animoog was inserted into iaa and when i took it out.