Connect multiple interfaces to ipad with a USB hub?

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

leem
Expert

Connect multiple interfaces to ipad with a USB hub?

Post by leem » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:15 pm

does anyone know if its possible to connect multiple audio interfaces to the ipad using a USB hub? looking for a way to add more channel inputs than my interface has. would Auria recognize the audio input channels from both interfaces?

also, can you do something similar with MIDI. for example, if you have an audio interface that doesn't have MIDI, and also plug a MIDI usb keyboard into the USB hub, would Auria be able to recognize both the audio inputs and the MIDI inputs?

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Connect multiple interfaces to ipad with a USB hub?

Post by Rim » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:03 pm

iOS doesn't support this (as of iOS8 anyway, haven't tested in iOS9, but I doubt it does).

It only supports one audio interface and one MIDI interface concurrently.

Rim

leem
Expert

Post by leem » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:59 pm

thanks!

Radside
Expert

Post by Radside » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:19 pm

Does Auria support cascading two MC control surfaces so that we can possibly get more than 8 faders or does the control surfaces count as a midi interface?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:05 pm

iOS only supports one USB MIDI device, but there are probably devices with more than one port on them.

Rim

Radside
Expert

Post by Radside » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:58 pm

Thanks Rim. My control surfaces have multiple USB ports and I was thinking I would use the control surface midi ports to connect to the audio interface midi ports so that only the audio device's USB port would be connected to my iPad. BTW, I would like to add my "thanks" and "congrats" to the symphony of voice whom are grateful for all your hard work in developing the Auria 2.0 and Pro release.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:05 pm

@radside: excuse me butting in on your butting in but... Are you referring to the Behringer X-Touch, by any chance? If so, how nicely does it work with Auria (and in general)? If not, sincere apologies to all :wink:

Funjunkie27
Expert

Post by Funjunkie27 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:13 pm

Akai EIE (red version/16 bit) has three USB ports and has worked well for me getting in multiple midi devices. It also has a I/O DIN pair for legacy devices, which I have two connected through that.

Radside
Expert

Post by Radside » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:45 pm

@Washboy, yes I was referring to the Behringer X Touch and X Air 18. I'll let you know how they work once I have them hooked up.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:39 pm

Radside wrote:@Washboy, yes I was referring to the Behringer X Touch and X Air 18. I'll let you know how they work once I have them hooked up.
Thanks. Looking forward to it and I'm sure there are quite a few others hereabouts who'd be interested. Have fun!

leem
Expert

Post by leem » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:29 am

I have an XR 18 hooked up to Auria and good so far. Auria can see all the channels etc. the only weird thing is now you have two apps to manage. For example, to change the input gain on a channel you have to switch over to the X Air app. So i also keep a laptop handy for that as well, but you don't have to, you can still use your ipad and just switch between apps.

Also, make sure to route the USB return audio to the Aux channel or a bus on the behringer in order to hear playback from Auria. Took me a while to figure that out.