Low memory message

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

ebulb

Low memory message

Post by ebulb » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:49 am

I have a RME UFX interface and just recently bought Auria on iPad to record rehearsals with a band... The other day was the first time I used it, I had the UFX totalmix app running and UFX was also acting as a mixer for the PA system while I had Auria recording in the background.. It was recording 16 inputs from UFX.

It worked ok for around 60 minutes and then it started coming up with a "low memory" warning on the iPad and kept stopping.. the warning said close other apps but the only thing that was open was the UFX totalmix app which was the mixer for the PA and it had been open since the start of the recording...

does anyone have any ideas why this happened and how to avoid it ?

it seems like a bug from a memory leak or something in one of the apps because it works for 60 minutes without a problem but then just wouldn't record anymore.. I closed Auria off and reopened it and same thing, everytime I tried to start recording it kept displaying the low memory message and would stop.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Low memory message

Post by Rim » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:01 am

Sounds like some memory leak somewhere. I would recommend closing all apps and rebooting. It's important to do both because iOS will re-open any apps that you didn't close prior to rebooting.

Rim

ebulb

Post by ebulb » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:07 am

rebooting the iPad and starting again isn't really a solution, i need it to record for a couple of hours straight without any issues.. Ive played around with it further and from what i can see its not able to record for extended periods. Is it possible to get a refund ? I bought it because i need something to record 16 tracks for 2-3 hours without faults.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:41 am

Refunds on any app are handled by Apple, and you're welcome to contact them at any time.

I think you might have misunderstood. Rebooting is something you should be doing every day, before you start a big recording project. I think you might be confusing this with wiping your iPad?

Rim

ebulb

Post by ebulb » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:47 pm

I assumed by reboot you meant holding down the power button for a hard reset.. even that is difficult to deal with because totalmix is in the background running a PA system and id like it working at gigs.. You cant really pause for glitches like this when you are in a live situation.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:02 pm

No worries, yes - that's what I meant. Memory leaks are solved by closing the offending app, but sometimes only a reboot can fix a bad leak. Not sure which app is causing the leak, but if TotalMix is the only other app running, I would suspect that. A bad iOS version could also cause this to happen. Some of them had major issues in the past. Are you running 9.1?

If you've got an older iPad model, some thing that can help with memory are making sure AUX Delay Compensation is turned off in the settings. This uses a lot of extra memory. And also setting your record buffer size to "Normal". "Large" uses a ton of RAM, and might not be needed for your setup.

Rim