Better output from ipad/auria than headphone jack?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

tonydean
Expert

Better output from ipad/auria than headphone jack?

Post by tonydean » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:23 pm

Hi folks, just like the heading says, i was wondering if there is a better way to output the audio from auria/ipad than just the headphone port?
iPad Air 2 128 gig wifi, iOS 11.4, Auria 2.0. Focusrite itrack dock. iFretless Bass, iRig Pro, Rode NT2-A recording mic, Takamine G-Series AC Gtr. Cole Clark Angel 2 Bunya/Blackwood acoustic.

richardyot
Expert

Re: Better output from ipad/auria than headphone jack?

Post by richardyot » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:35 pm

An audio interface via the lightning port. I use a Scarlett 2i4 and there is a definite improvement in bass response compared to the iPad headphone out with my Focal Spirit Pro headphones.

pitzipado
Expert

Post by pitzipado » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:08 pm

I've been using the Apogee One for mac and iPad - the digital audio converters are very good
everything (u-tube etc) sounds better. Plus it charges the iPad if plugged in runs about an hour on
2 double As- Longer with rechargeable NiMHs which I have yet to acquire. Also very smooth sounding
preamp with a surprisingly good built- in mic. I didn't think I wanted to spend $350 bucks for a
single preamp but after trying out one on loan I didn't want to give it back. I wasn't really planning
my latest account massacre either- new iPad and a bunch of apps- but I plan cutting
back on toothpaste/shaving cream etc

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:48 am

Someone said they felt that the headphone output in the iPad operated as though it had a high pass filter on it, that is, it seriously cut the bass. And I feel this is true. I keep on doing mixes that sound good in the phones and on speakers, but are way to heavy in the bottom end once I get off iOS. I have heard some supposition about the reason, one being that the amp in the iPad does not have the cojones to really drive a set of speakers. I'm not an ultra tech, but sound would bear that out.

A cheap alternative is the Behringer UCA222, which I picked up. Works with the lightning connector via Apple USB converter. Has a decent enough amp in it that it sounds just fine. I wouldn't mind getting a better mixing amp at some point - for tracking, the headphone jack is just fine for me.

I don't know why Apple has set up iOS so that audio software like Auria cannot work with bluetooth. It's aggravating, as that would help with a few things.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:53 am

This is true, but only if you choose the option in Auria's settings called "Built-In Speaker/Mic Processing".

Rim

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:06 am

Rim wrote:This is true, but only if you choose the option in Auria's settings called "Built-In Speaker/Mic Processing".

Rim
Could you give a little more detail? Is Auria able to bypass the built-in signal processing so that the output to the headphone jack is as good as the lightning port?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:57 pm

All apps are able to bypass Apple's built-in processing. Apple provides a switch which developers can use when building apps. It's up to each developer to add this to their apps. Auria has this available in the settings page.

Rim

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:58 pm

Well, damn. I'll have to try that tonight.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:04 pm

Thanks, good to know.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:44 pm

Just be aware that disabling this option makes the volume from the built-in speaker much more quiet.

Rim

thinds
Expert

Post by thinds » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:07 pm

Ah-ha! Great info, learn something new everyday. Will be trying this out tonight too.

tonydean
Expert

Post by tonydean » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:45 am

So, let me get this right. Turning off built in speaker processing will enhance the output from the headphone jack but not enable you to get the audio out through bluetooth?
iPad Air 2 128 gig wifi, iOS 11.4, Auria 2.0. Focusrite itrack dock. iFretless Bass, iRig Pro, Rode NT2-A recording mic, Takamine G-Series AC Gtr. Cole Clark Angel 2 Bunya/Blackwood acoustic.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:06 pm

It's actually got nothing to do with Bluetooth. Bluetooth is not supported in iOS for apps which play and record at the same time, so that's why Auria doesn't support Bluetooth. Maybe Apple will support this in a later iOS update.

Rim

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:44 pm

I assume it's something to do with content protection, not be able to rip off music? It's annoying, but it's Apple's sandbox.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:16 pm

Actually, I've been told it's been more of a technical issue due to the synchronization of playback and record buffers when the output is over a wireless link.

Rim