Auria takes up more space without obvious reason

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Renfield
Expert

Auria takes up more space without obvious reason

Post by Renfield » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:40 pm

When I clean Auria up and delete snapshots and tracks I don't need in my project Auria takes up about 1.8 gb on my iPad. Now for some reason it takes up over 3 gb. Is there any other things I can delete in Auria?

MrNezumi
Expert

Re: Auria takes up more space without obvious reason

Post by MrNezumi » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:28 am

The demo track. It is a bit on the large side. And I think it pops back up whenever you update.

pitzipado
Expert

Post by pitzipado » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:24 am

As Mr Nezumi pointed out the demo song is big- some 400mb or so. Also every
mix down bounced track etc even ones you export are saved in "import audio"-
and within that your "inbox" will have every file you imported. If you have purchased
extra gog files or ir packets these will take space. I believe the snapshots take
very little space they don't save audio. I recently achieved my one millionth delete
best jp

Renfield
Expert

Post by Renfield » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:58 am

Thanks for your input! It was the demo that was the culprit. Since it wasn't in the project file I had to search a bit but now it's gone and I've finally more space.

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:01 pm

pitzipado wrote:As Mr Nezumi pointed out the demo song is big- some 400mb or so. Also every
and within that your "inbox" will have every file you imported. If you have purchased
extra gog files or ir packets these will take space. I believe the snapshots take
very little space they don't save audio. I recently achieved my one millionth delete
best jp
Holy crap. I didn't know my files were stacking up in "Imported_audio". Thanks for that JP. I love these tidbits that I seldom encounter. I haven't looked in that directory for almost a year.

I thought "Project clean-up" took care of this though. Hmm, will test in pro as well.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

JRSIV
Expert

Post by JRSIV » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:53 pm

My iPad Air 2 64GB is pretty much my primary recording platform now since discovering Auria earlier this year. I was at first worried about storage, but the way the devs have put the clean ups and auto saves into the DAW in such a seamless way, I am less worried.

But not totally at ease...my current free space is at about 25GB and that is after buying and installing over $300 worth of music making apps (I just went over my ITunes AppStore purchase history last week after my eyes bugged a bit looking at my latest VISA statement... Those 3AM spur of the moment app buys add up. I have enough synth apps and guitar amp modellers for 4 iPads...) Now that doesn't include the free apps either, even though they are usually less demanding storage wise.

I hope the guys who've really put Auria through it's paces over the last few years can attest to how smooth the Dropbox utility is and from the sound of the OP's post, normal file management douching is probably a good idea too...
JRSIV's Studio V uses Auria Pro v2.33 on an iPad Air 5 (2022) 256GB w/iPadOS 16.3
Other gear includes: Tascam US-2x2 interface, Behringer UMC404HD interface, TC Electronics SOLO, Sony MDR-7506 headphones

pitzipado
Expert

Post by pitzipado » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:33 pm

I have been running Auria from day one on a 16gb iPad 2 and its been a challenge
to keep enough free space for more than one or maybe two concurrent projects. I don't
have a computer I seriously considered getting a used one just to store stuff on. By deleting apps and deleting or compressing and storing (to Dropbox or Box)
every sound file everywhere I could come up with maybe 6gb. I keep thinking that somebody
will figure out how to get thumbdrive type devices that could plug in maybe the cloud
drive thing will be a sensation. Anyway I followed a hunch I had and for my birthday
(latter stage sexagenarian which is not nearly as much fun as it sounds) I bought
myself an air2 128 gb and continued my spree by getting drumagog drumperfect
all the ifretless stuff extra gog files etc and as soon as I get over my compulsion to boss
Siri around (I was on ios6 with the ipad2) I will anxiously get to work waiting for
Auria Pro like everybody else even though I really have no idea how I'm going to use it.
Look forward to reading the manual. I do recall some forum discussion about being
able to buy Auria Pro as a standalone app for those who preferred the "old" Auria
graphics. Does that mean with iaa one could plug Auria into itself? I enjoyed today's
news about quantum weirdness experiments I do believe at times something like
that goes on in my iPad
This forum has been really helpful and entertaining for me. Thank you all
for help and observations
best cheer jp

seachord

Post by seachord » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:24 am

Dude!! I feel that "$300" pain and the early AM snap purchases! Thank the Powers that I was able to get a few refunds. :mrgreen:

[quote="JRSIV"
[snip]
after buying and installing over $300 worth of music making apps (I just went over my ITunes AppStore purchase history last week after my eyes bugged a bit looking at my latest VISA statement... Those 3AM spur of the moment app buys add up. I have enough synth apps and guitar amp modellers for 4 iPads...) Now that doesn't include the free apps either, even though they are usually less demanding storage wise.
[snip][/quote]

JRSIV
Expert

Post by JRSIV » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:07 am

seachord wrote:Dude!! I feel that "$300" pain and the early AM snap purchases! Thank the Powers that I was able to get a few refunds. :mrgreen:
I hear you brother, though sometimes, unless an app is just stone crap, refunds or concessions aren't happening.

For instance, when I was first getting into discovering the apps available and reading the forums & blogs, the Final Touch mastering app really interested me. The feature set, reviews, everything pointed to it being a great acquisition.

Problem was it was $19.99. Not crazy considering some audio apps that are very expensive being on SALE at $19.99 would be an outstanding deal. Well AppShopper.com, which is an indispensable tool for us iOS music makers, showed Final Touch had gone on sale occasionally in the past :mrgreen: so I waited. Sure enough a few weeks later I see that the app is on sale for $9.99...score!

I buy the app, am extremely impressed with it, master a few old mixes from older formats to get acclimated to it and am happy as a clam. A month or so passes and I'm browsing the AppStore with AppShopper.com on Chrome in the background..."oh, what's this?" That is Final Touch on "super duper sale" for $2.99! Ffffuuuuhhh....

So to close this tale, I didn't feel right to hit Positive Grid apps with a nasty email demanding my $7, even though I was perturbed. Not that I got beat for $7, but that as usual my enthusiasm and gear acquisition weakness got over on me again. I didn't really NEED Final Touch when I got it, I wasn't mastering any current projects yet, but I wanted that badass app and I wanted it now, lol. Part of me is happy that I at least waited and researched a bit, not getting the app right away for $20 bucks, but part of me knows that the next great app or great app sale is right around the bend and I will probably be too weak to deny it's pull, lol.

This is certainly one aspect of using Auria and my iPad for my current studio set up that I did not anticipate... It is just as hard to avoid gear acquisition syndrome in a digital store as it is with the piece if gear right in your mitts, probably more so. All you gotta do is press a few buttons at 3AM, half asleep on the toilet and you'll be the proud new owner of that cool slice of digital kit!
What a wonderful world indeed...
JRSIV's Studio V uses Auria Pro v2.33 on an iPad Air 5 (2022) 256GB w/iPadOS 16.3
Other gear includes: Tascam US-2x2 interface, Behringer UMC404HD interface, TC Electronics SOLO, Sony MDR-7506 headphones

Tourniquet
Expert

Post by Tourniquet » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:57 am

pitzipado wrote:As Mr Nezumi pointed out the demo song is big- some 400mb or so. Also every
best jp
If you delete audio/tracks/.wavs from the import audio section, does this also delete this audio from the song too? Like is it stored in two different places? As in, under Load project, and import audio? If I delete in one does it affect the other? Or can I delete in import audio, and still have the file kept/safe under the project in the load project area?

I know I'm making perfect sense, so let me clarify even more. Are recorded audio tracks taking up double the space, or is it the same audio file just listed in a few different places?

Well, I tried to make it as clear as possible, but after I read it, I'm not even sure if I can figure out what the hell I'm talking about. lol....

King
Expert

Post by King » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:42 am

Tourniquet wrote:
best jp
If you delete audio/tracks/.wavs from the import audio section, does this also delete this audio from the song too? Like is it stored in two different places? As in, under Load project, and import audio? If I delete in one does it affect the other? Or can I delete in import audio, and still have the file kept/safe under the project in the load project area?

I know I'm making perfect sense, so let me clarify even more. Are recorded audio tracks taking up double the space, or is it the same audio file just listed in a few different places?

Well, I tried to make it as clear as possible, but after I read it, I'm not even sure if I can figure out what the hell I'm talking about. lol....

Hehe, I know exactly what you mean.

When you import an audio file, let's say from Audioshare, it is imported to the imported page/folder, (not to the project/project folder).
You can then import this file to your project, "Import Audio" and yes there will now be two of the same file within Auria. Once you open another project, you can go and delete any of the 2 files, (preferably the first imported one), then open your project again.

I do this automatically to keep my imported section clean/clear. (And obviously to not have duplicates).

Regarding Recording: when you record, it goes only/straight into your project, so only 1 file, no copy/duplicate.

Hope that is helpful.
_____________________________1 Luv_____________________________

_____________________________King____________________________

pitzipado
Expert

Post by pitzipado » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:07 am

You can access every audio file you have in Auria from "import audio" If you tap on
the project file(folder icon) it will show every take you've made which track it was on
and the order of the take. You can tap on the speaker icon to listen if needed and then import
it back on top to listen with other tracks if you want. I often do a lot of takes and sometimes
I will import all of them back into a new project along with a rough mix or whatever so I
can more easily switch back and forth to decide which to keep more often than not turns out
to be none of them :? All of those files will go away when you delete the project or if you
have "auto cleanup" engaged maybe all the back takes are deleted I don't know I've never
used it. So when manually "cleaning up" dirty files as long as you don't open up the file folder
and delete stuff it should all stay there. Or if you want to selectively cleanup an active
project that's one way to do it. Seems like there's more than one way to do just about every
operation in Auria- which is one of its cool features! Best wishes for effective file management!
My tidy management habits have been backsliding toward my usual sloppy protocol since I
acquired a 128gb device. I'll clean stuff up tomorrow

Tourniquet
Expert

Post by Tourniquet » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:24 am

Cool, thanks for the clarification @King and @pitzipado