Order of layers

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

buzzardwhiskey

Order of layers

Post by buzzardwhiskey » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:37 am

Hello all! I am planning to create our second CD, this time using Auria and an Apogee One rather than renting a studio. Our workflow will be completely different given that the interface only has one mic preamp and one 1/4" input. Lots of layering. To that end I've been working out the logistics and here's what I've come up with. Having not done it this way before I'd love your opinions...

1) Practice all of the tunes very carefully with the core band (6 members) and make note of all the "parts".
2) In my untreated bedroom, using a click track, record scratch tracks using my guitar's 1/4" and a vocal mic.
3) Set up a semi-circle of six self-standing 4'x2'x2" acoustic deadening panels in a quiet but otherwise untreated basement room - this would be our "studio" (carpet, acoustic tiled drop ceiling, brick walls, 20 ft x 15 ft.)
4) Record the rhythm guitar using a Miktek PM5 ($600 cardioid condenser) and remove the old scratch version.
5) Record cajon, conga, snare, bass drum and other percussion one at a time using a combination of the PM5 and SM7B.
6) Record electric bass using the 1/4" interface input.
7) Record mandolin, lead acoustic guitar, and banjo using the PM5.
8 ) Re-Record my vocals using a Shure SM7B ($350 cardioid dynamic) and remove the old scratch version.
9) Record two back up singers one at a time using PM5 (or maybe find a way to record both gals at once??).
10) Set up "fix it" sessions so that anyone not liking their effort can re-record.
11) Send Pro Tools export from Auria to violin player living in a different city to help him record his part in his professional studio.
12) Incorporate returned violin part.
13) Mix everything on Auria.
14) Send WAV files to mastering studio.
15) Send mastered WAV files to CD Baby.

superhunter2
Expert

Re: Order of layers

Post by superhunter2 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:43 pm

Little hint that I used. If you like more live sound and ever need to use two mics (or to record two gals at once): buy the "little imp" and you can plug a dynamic mic such as sm7b while using miktek with phantom power. I use it with nt1-a and sm57, so basically the downgrade of what you use. I have apogee one too. :) hope that might help somewhere if you need stereo. If you have other questions I can try to help. Good luck on cd. I want to hear mastered cd when done.

buzzardwhiskey

Post by buzzardwhiskey » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:35 pm

Thanks! I was thinking that something like an ART Tube MP Studio V3 would allow me to use the 1/4" input for a mic of my choosing.

MikeDee
Expert

Post by MikeDee » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:59 am

Re Step 9 - "Record two back up singers one at a time using PM5 (or maybe find a way to record both gals at once??)"...

You might try one of these two options:

1. On one track, record both singers at once, singing one of the parts in unison; then, on another track, record both singers at once, singing the second part in unison. (And so on, assuming more than two parts.)

Or...

2. On one track, record both singers at once, each singing her own part; then, on another track, repeat the process. (If more than two parts, repeat this step as needed.)

You can repeat the process (Option 1 or Option 2) to create big, stacked BG vox, then apply different panning and processing (e.g., delay times, EQ, etc.) to each track. Feel free to experiment...if it starts to sound "too full" or cluttered, simply mute the extra tracks.

On playback (and mixing), start with each track (or each pair of tracks, if more than two) panned hard L/R; you can then dial them back to narrow their stereo separation as desired.

HTH,

Mike