Decreasing IPad sale

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Hrveylee
Expert

Decreasing IPad sale

Post by Hrveylee » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:04 pm

What plans do you have to enter the daw business for Mac computers? iPad sales are declining and more emphasis is being placed on the "lighter" notebooks, MacBook Air. My concern is that iPads may not continue to evolve; you can get a MacBook Air for close to the price of an iPad.

Steve White
Expert

Re: Decreasing IPad sale

Post by Steve White » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:31 pm

I heard an iPad Pro was coming out soon so I hope that's true.

Steve

mugaz84
Expert

Post by mugaz84 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:57 pm

You make it sound like its a dying market :D

Hrveylee
Expert

Post by Hrveylee » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:37 pm

Mugaz84; it does appear that the iPad market is shrinking. The way apple is building their new super light weight notebooks and their Mac air, along with declining iPad sales, it is a market in flux. Large phones, for most users, has really taken away iPad sales. I'm with you, I hope they keep supporting and improving this market cause I like the small foot print, but for $900 you get a MacBook Air that's light and has way more computing power than an iPad ever will. They can't make an iPad as powerful as a MacBook Air, price it less, and expect it not to hurt the notebook business:(

Hrveylee
Expert

Post by Hrveylee » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Mugaz84 I enjoy the small footprint as well. I recently had to move all my guitars and my studio into my business office; the small iPad footprint works well for me. Auria is aware of this market change and I'm sure they are planning something for the future. Logic will not work as well with a lower power Mac air, but it would work OK with the new line of MacBooks, and these look like the future; light, close to the same price as a Mac air, very light weight. if the iPad pro does come out and sales are not great, the iPad line will most likely shrink and possibly be discontinued in 2-4 years.

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:23 am

I'm just waiting for the iPad pro to come out now 8)

rowboat

Post by rowboat » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:13 am

I believe a few facts have been missed. MacOS and Windows are different animals..lots of bloatware lives there 8) .

Just to state the obvious:
For the iPad IOS, excellent touch screen graphics with at least half a million applications built to use it. A great platform for music apps.
Very portable, long life between charges, app cost in tens of dollars, high level of app security.
Excellent at emulating tactile hardware such as a mixer. (ie. Auria)
Apple ipad ARM CPU performance is fast catching up with Intel x86 mobile CPU performance, it has eclipsed ATOM in a big way.

Apple certainly can create a new iPad professional market with the likes of the Ipad Pro, including apps that make use of 4G of RAM and extra CPU performance etc.

Demand wise the market is maturing for Ipad.
I believe the Ipad future is very bright :D

claudel
Expert

Post by claudel » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:50 am

I'll be buying a new one.

Apparently I need the forthcoming A9/2Gb one to successfully run everything I'm trying to run on the Air...

I use it for bass, mostly, so far...

When I load mine with too many plugins I start getting clicks & pops & lags.

2 Auria tracks, one channel strip and one master strip with

MIcrowarmer on each track
Convolution reverb/IR loader on one track

WOW2
Volcano2
Timeless2 in the channel strip

ProQ
ProL in the master strip

makes the CPU meter jump into the red before I even hit the "record" button.

Hopefully there will be a new one without the huge screen that has more power.

It sounds great, though, minus the noise.

Hopefully the combination of Auria Pro & more hardware power will solve the noise issues...

Then maybe I can actually record something.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:50 am

That seems to be quite a load. Do you really need them all simultaneously? (That's a rhetorical question, of course :wink:). WOW2, Volcano2 and Timeless2 are all resource hogs.

BTW, you mention 'Channel Strip' FX separately to 'track' FX. Do you mean that the channel strip FX are on a subgroup?

I'm looking forward to an iPad Pro too (crosses fingers that the rumours are true)! :D

Auratech
Expert

Post by Auratech » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:55 am

Current iPad users are statisfied with their iPad4, Air and Air2.
There is no significant difference between Air-Air2 in everyday performance and gui.
Both of them are spry, sleek.
Many users not see the real reason to change Air to Air2 except the power IOS users.
That's why the selling is not growing so dinamically as before. (one side)
The community of current Auria users are solid. Auria works on iPad 2, 3, 4, Air, Air2, (all minis too!)
Updated Auria (not Pro) will also run fine on older machines. The Pro is not the only Auria in development.
My rover Studio: iPad Air2-64Gb, Auria, Zoom H6, 2xRode Nt1, 2x Rode Nt55,
DT-770PRO, XMS-disc-(Jecklin), Ruinvo-panasonic USB Power pack,
Home: Rebuilt BEAG Hec45 Active Studio Monitors, i7-PC-Samplitude, IK-Multimedia ARC-2

claudel
Expert

Post by claudel » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:13 am

Washboy wrote:That seems to be quite a load. Do you really need them all simultaneously? (That's a rhetorical question, of course :wink:). WOW2, Volcano2 and Timeless2 are all resource hogs.

BTW, you mention 'Channel Strip' FX separately to 'track' FX. Do you mean that the channel strip FX are on a subgroup?

I'm looking forward to an iPad Pro too (crosses fingers that the rumours are true)! :D

That's for my "Bass Rig" configuration.

One mono track is more or less plain - Channel strip w/ MIcrowarmer & Convolution Reverb/IR ( which is a resource hog too).

Second track is mostly the same settings minus the IR and is associated with a subgroup that loads all the time based effects.

This lets me load up the effects on track 2 without losing the bass essential sound from track 1

Then I EQ & Limit on the master strip.

I don't need them all simultaneously all the time, but there's a few really glorious things lurking in there under the crackles that will be amazing with enough iPad to process it all...

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:57 pm

Hrveylee wrote:Mugaz84; it does appear that the iPad market is shrinking. The way apple is building their new super light weight notebooks and their Mac air, along with declining iPad sales, it is a market in flux. Large phones, for most users, has really taken away iPad sales. I'm with you, I hope they keep supporting and improving this market cause I like the small foot print, but for $900 you get a MacBook Air that's light and has way more computing power than an iPad ever will. They can't make an iPad as powerful as a MacBook Air, price it less, and expect it not to hurt the notebook business:(
An Air 2 has comparable power like a Macbook Air from 2014,just saying ;)

@Auratech:there is indeed a signifanct difference:i'm always pushing my ipads to the limit with auria and all the Fabfilter/PSP plugins and it gives me arround 30% power more to do so compared to my mini retina (which is basically the same as air 1).But much more important is the difference in Ram.I never had"low memory"warnings in auria again but also in"every day use"it's MUCH better than before.Open apps will stay open in the backround when switching between apps or just the difference how many tabs you can open in safari until it reloads the first tab etc...
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:37 am

The number of people who are doing "serious" things on their ipads, like recording, vs. the number of people who are browsing the web and reading emails, is tiny. To a certain extent that's true with desktops/laptops, too, but I would say the gap is even more pronounced with tablets. And the truth is, my old iPad 3 that I sold when I bought the Air 2 was perfectly capable of doing those things. So, the folks in this forum are not even close to be representative of the norm, in what we need in hardware.

Does Apple really want to set up the iPad as a professional/working environment? I don't know. They would be cannabalizing their own market for desktops and laptops, more than anything. But we'll know over the next few years.

Auratech
Expert

Post by Auratech » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:58 am

All Auria user are power user. Certainly
Spread of IOS 9, better multitask and the new features, will catalyze the claim of AIR2 ram and performance or better..
My rover Studio: iPad Air2-64Gb, Auria, Zoom H6, 2xRode Nt1, 2x Rode Nt55,
DT-770PRO, XMS-disc-(Jecklin), Ruinvo-panasonic USB Power pack,
Home: Rebuilt BEAG Hec45 Active Studio Monitors, i7-PC-Samplitude, IK-Multimedia ARC-2