Problems with Bluetooth earphones/system crashes

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Paleosonic

Problems with Bluetooth earphones/system crashes

Post by Paleosonic » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:41 pm

Hi there
I'm a new user of Auria, going through the tutorial in chapter 2 of the user manual. So far I've encountered 2 problems center around using Bluetooth headphones. It seems that the sound cuts out if there is any closing of Auria to reference the manual or for any other reason. When I go back into my Auria session, there is no audio. The same holds for any other time I've had to close Auria, including checking my Bluetooth connection in iPad settings! The only way to get audio back in Auria is to restart the project. Clearly this is not acceptable. Any help would be greatly appreciated. There is another problem I've encountered with my system resources with Auria. When I try to set up effects like EQ and make a couple of adjustments, Auria crashes. The only thing I have been able to determine is that this may be a CPU problem in running Auria on an iPad mini Retina with 16 GB of storage. I'm using iOS 8.4.1. While I can easily use another pair of headphones to use for monitoring, there is little I can do about Auria's system requirements. It's not reasonable to expect a customer to go out and upgrade his hardware to run your software. There was no indication that this was an issue when I purchased Aura. Please provide any information you have on this issue.

Thanks
Dave

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Problems with Bluetooth earphones/system crashes

Post by Rim » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:53 pm

Sorry to hear about the issues you're having. First of all, Auria doesn't support bluetooth playback. It's an iOS limitation which doesn't allow using bluetooth in apps that play and record at the same time. So apps like Auria aren't supported. Perhaps they'll allow this in a future iOS version, but at this point, it's not possible.

In terms of CPU usage, just like a desktop DAW, Auria allows you to overtax the CPU with no restrictions, so it's important to use the resources your iPad has carefully. You didn't specify which Mini you own, but if it's the original mini, that's based on the iPad 2 architecture which is pretty limited. That's not to say you can't use it with Auria - we've tested Auria on an iPad 1, but there will be limits to what you can do in terms of effects. A small 4-8 track project with a single reverb and a few EQs on the tracks should work fine, but more will probably tax your mini's CPU.

Some things that can help you conserve CPU: set your record latency higher (if you don't need live monitoring, set it to 4096). Make sure you close all your background apps, then start Auria. This ensures that Auria gets to set the buffer size and keeps it at 4096 (in iOS, the first app to launch gets to set the buffer size). If you need to use Auria with other apps or with Audiobus, your CPU usage will go up considerably on that model. Also, disable AUX delay compensation and 64 bit mixer mode. These both use a lot of extra CPU.

Hope this helps.
Rim