Question on Midi Mapping When Auria Pro Comes

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

rickwaugh
Expert

Question on Midi Mapping When Auria Pro Comes

Post by rickwaugh » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:18 pm

Question for the dev team, if you can answer it. Still trying to figure out the drumming thing. Officially gave up on Voxkit this morning, after trying several times to get it map it's pads to different sounds.

I was looking at the physical pads like the Alesis Percpad. Could have picked one up for a song last week. But it sends all it's pads to midi channel 10. You can change the midi notes for each pad, but you can only have one channel for all of them. In the interest of separating the different drums out each to its own channel, with Voxkit I was able to map each virtual pad to a different channel, that I then sent to Thumbjam. The thumbjam splits can each be assigned to a different input channel in Auria.

So, with Auria Pro, will I be able to take the input from something like percpad, all coming in on the same channel, with different midi notes, and assign each to its own channel?

I'm not a midi expert. Just trying to see the best, least expensive way around my workflow here. I'm trying to be able to actually hit something with a drumstick. Once I get it into Auria, I can use Drumagog on it.

martygras
Expert

Re: Question on Midi Mapping When Auria Pro Comes

Post by martygras » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:00 pm

Hard to believe the Alesis won't allow channel chg.

Kat stuff is some of the best drum trigger out there and you can send any combination of note numbers on any channel you wish. Just another option.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:00 pm

You can change the channel. But it's for all the pads, can't do it one at a time.

Very frustrated today. Midiflow allows me to create a different flow, as Audiobus does, but for midi. I can tell it to map a range of notes to a particular channel on the way out, and it works. But I'm back to not being able to get the multiple instrument mapping from Thumbjam back into Auria. I can monitor, and hear the sounds, but it doesn't create a sound file. Very bizarre.

Some days I love this environment. Other days I'm pretty much ready to do the frisbee throw with the iPad.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:42 am

From what I gather from from what you describe is that you have a midi controller to trigger your midi drum parts. You then want real audio tracks in Auria that represent the different drum part for mixing. Here is a trick I use to do this. I record my drum part live into a midi sequencer on my iPad using my 7 piece roland digital drum kit all sent on one midi channel, channel 10. All the midi notes will now be in the sequencer for all the drum pieces like snare kick ect. Now copy the midi drum track to as many parts as you have. In other words if there is 6 pieces in the drum kit then you will need to copy the midi drum part six times to six different tracks. Now on each track simply delete the kit parts that are not for that track and isolate just the kit part you need. Like hihat keep just the hihat parts and delete the rest. Now you have six tracks all with just one kit part on each. Now simply assign each track to a different midi channel. Thats it. You can now turn those midi parts into audio using many of the ios recording options from virtual midi to IAA or audiobus. Cheers and hope this helps.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:40 am

Auria can only record audio from a physical audio input like an audio interface or the iPads built in mic or from an app plugged in via IAA or through Audiobus. If you are triggering a sound and you can hear it but that sound is from virtual midi, then Auria can not record it unless you use Audiobus. Unless you see Auria's VU meters moving for each track while in record ready mode than Auria cannot record any audio. You must see a signal in Auria to verify you can record audio to the tracks. So if you don't and you can hear the audio it is just the app playing in the background and its audio signal is not really being routed anywhere. This could be what you are experiencing, or not. But it is what I suspect. You would set up Thumbjam to send its audio to Auria in Audiobus. Cheers.

Freddytwonotes

Post by Freddytwonotes » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:28 pm

You need "midibridge". Like audiobus for midi but more. Alter your midi and routing for programs,ins and outs.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:03 pm

Anthony, that's what's weird about it. The meters in Auria are moving. I actually have the sound split on my iRig keys, using Midiflow, into Thumbjam. Tracks on Auria are set to pick it up, and, as I said, the meters are moving. But no audio files are created.

I ordered the percpad today. It was $110 including shipping from Amazon. They retail for $200. I didn't realize I have a midi connector in iRig Pro, so it was a no brainer, and I can use Midiflow to split by midi note, to Thumbjam, then back into Auria. It's perfect, once I figure out what my problem is between Thumbjam and Auria.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:08 pm

OMG, I did exactly the same thing I did before. I had auto punch on in Auria, and I was starting from the beginning. I sometimes wonder how I manage to function from day to day.

Now I'm REALLY stoked about getting the percpad.

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:00 pm

rickwaugh wrote:OMG, I did exactly the same thing I did before. I had auto punch on in Auria, and I was starting from the beginning. I sometimes wonder how I manage to function from day to day.

Now I'm REALLY stoked about getting the percpad.
"Autopunch on", is the most common thing for me to forget to disable after tracking sessions. I know how it feels.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)