Major Auria Announcement

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

theconnactic
Expert

Re: Major Auria Announcement

Post by theconnactic » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:11 pm

Will the sampler support more than one sample per key, with velocity-based playback (that would be great for drum samples for a more "human" sound)?

Sorry for reposting the question, but it's important info to know, and it somewhat got lost in all the trolling of late. All the best!

Auratech
Expert

Post by Auratech » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:49 am

Multiple (also single key assigned) sampling is basic feature of all modern software sampler. Auria Pro will use these standards. surely
Wavemachine has Drumagog (IAA) for you right now in AURIA's store.
My rover Studio: iPad Air2-64Gb, Auria, Zoom H6, 2xRode Nt1, 2x Rode Nt55,
DT-770PRO, XMS-disc-(Jecklin), Ruinvo-panasonic USB Power pack,
Home: Rebuilt BEAG Hec45 Active Studio Monitors, i7-PC-Samplitude, IK-Multimedia ARC-2

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:51 am

Thank you, Auratech, but about Drumagog 5 for Auria, I read it's only kicks, snares and toms. It's not enough, unfortunately, to justify the purchase (my opinion, taking in consideration my own needs), despite the high quality of the samples.

All the best!

pitzipado
Expert

Post by pitzipado » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:06 pm

theconnactic wrote:Thank you, Auratech, but about Drumagog 5 for Auria, I read it's only kicks, snares and toms. It's not enough, unfortunately, to justify the purchase (my opinion, taking in consideration my own needs), despite the high quality of the samples.

All the best!
You can get cymbal samples they aren't included upon initial purchase to keep the size of
Auria manageable I believe- here is some discussion
best jp
http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... ipt#p34594

Auratech
Expert

Post by Auratech » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:43 am

Home: Rebuilt BEAG Hec45 Active Studio Monitors, i7-PC-Samplitude, IK-Multimedia ARC-2

Auratech
Expert

Post by Auratech » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:44 am

Auratech wrote:Ok. Your target app is:
DrumPerfect (Marinus J.G. van de Moleng ... hu/h9jHV.i

ZenLizard
Expert

Post by ZenLizard » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:36 pm

DrumPerfect is outstanding. Use any drum samples you want to, especially multisamples. It has many features that make it better at producing real sounding drum tracks than anything else on iOS, BUT, you will have to build your beats yourself or import MIDI, and you will need to have or aquire an understanding of what real drummers do for best results.

Drumagog is an excellent tool regardless, although I did buy some cymbal/hi-hat packs, extra snare packs and downloaded the free cymbal packs you get (I think) by registering.
— Can you hum a few bars? —

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:59 pm

I have Drumperfect: It's really the only current solution that I know for a decent acoustic drum sound on iOS, and it's full of deep features. All my respect to the developer. The main issue for me is that's limited to two drum samples per key, one for low velocity, one for high velocity, and all intermediate velocity sounds are made by blending of these two samples. I think it was a design choice, aimed at making it viable in older iPads, perhaps. I really hope Auria's buit-in sample lets me assign more than two different drum samples of a given drum instrument per key (and that way, I'll miss EZDrummer no more) even at expense of memory and CPU resources.

Does anyone know anything about DrumJam? I read somewhere it allows for multi-layer samples. Is it also limited to two per key/instrument? If not, and if it allows for loading and editing/mapping my own samples, perhaps that would suit my needs better, even with a less powerful pattern editor/sequencer (two of DrumPerfect's strengths).

All the best!

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:00 pm

DrumPerfect has 16 sample slots for each instrument. 4 low left ,4 high left ,4 low right ,4 high right ,when using two handed setting. I find that this is quite enough variation for a drum beat. Also works great when triggered by my Roland digital kit with very little latency. Great app. Cheers.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:02 pm

Drumjam has a lot of great samples in it. Huge selection of percussion instruments. But not addressable as midi, I don't believe, just have to use the pads. Can also create some interesting loops. It was more designed as a fun thing. Thumbjam also has some very good percussion instruments, and it is very driveable by midi. The samples sound pretty darn good to my humble ear.

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:08 am

Anthony, my issue here is not the number of samples available for each drum, but the number of velocity layers: at the same time that you're right about the samples available for each instrument, there are only two velocity layers for each drum at any given time, one for low velocity, one for high velocity, and all intermediate states will be a blend of those two layers. It's nice and more advanced than any other iOS drum that I know, but it's still a long way from most advanced Desktop drum samplers, which will have at least three layers, using a multitude of samples. for example, EZDrummer has soft, gradient and hard velocity layers, and each one can be blended with a neighbouring velocity layer. Three layers to two layers doesn't appear to be that big a difference, until you take in consideration that it's a whooping 50% surplus, and that is multiplied several times when you take in consideration layer blending or overlapping.

Don't get me wrong: I use PD all the time and I'm in love with the flexibility of its pattern editor with tempo shift, the two-handed pads and all the powerful MIDI resources (humanizing, randomizing etc), but I really think its developer made some deliberate (and sensible, when the app was released) compromises so the app runs in most iPads. Perhaps he will release a "pro" version aimed at newer iPads with more velocity layers, bleed and overheads, and then DP will be a serious option for real soft drum tracking instead of just a handy mobile sort-of alternative (and it would be long overdue, this pro version: remember that even the first Air's CPU is as fast as an old C2D and even faster when you consider single core performance, so the power is already there, and it was not uncommon to see EZDrummer working fine ten years ago on single core 512MB RAM PCs).

Sorry for the long post, but I hope now I have clarified why I have really high expectations about Auria Pro's sampler. I might as well end up frustrated, but I cannot help to hope I won't.

All the best.

Yahyahyah
Expert

Post by Yahyahyah » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:20 am

I'm guessing the new version is nearly ready now, probably just waiting for the final coats of code to dry

Yahyahyah
Expert

Post by Yahyahyah » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:12 am

... probably now just polishing some assertions , won't be long now :wink:

leem
Expert

Post by leem » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:29 am

I am looking forward to having midi in auria, as I much prefer auria over cubasis. In the meantime, can you give me tip on how you use drum perfect with cubasis, assuming it would work in a similar manner in auria? do you us virtual midi out in cubasis and route it to drum perfect, or do you use audio bus? how do you get the audio back into a separate track in the daw?

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:50 am