Apple Airport time capsule for external hard drive

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

tonydean
Expert

Apple Airport time capsule for external hard drive

Post by tonydean » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:28 am

Hey guys, anyone use one of these with auria, to send files to and from?
iPad Air 2 128 gig wifi, iOS 11.4, Auria 2.0. Focusrite itrack dock. iFretless Bass, iRig Pro, Rode NT2-A recording mic, Takamine G-Series AC Gtr. Cole Clark Angel 2 Bunya/Blackwood acoustic.

GuntharBecker
Expert

Re: Apple Airport time capsule for external hard drive

Post by GuntharBecker » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:17 am

Yes, if anybody here has had success with transferring files from Auria using said method, please share your experience. Been pondering this myself recently, as file management on the iPad is one of my biggest gripes ATM...
iPad Air 2 64, Scarlett 18i8, Auria, etc.

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:43 am

GuntharBecker wrote:Yes, if anybody here has had success with transferring files from Auria using said method, please share your experience. Been pondering this myself recently, as file management on the iPad is one of my biggest gripes ATM...
Aw man, I saw the first word in your reply, "yes", and thought, hells yeah, but then I read the rest of your post and shook mu fist in the air at you. :D

Man I would even be happy with the ability to use a thumbdrive via the CCK.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

miguelmarcos
Expert

Post by miguelmarcos » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:54 am

I would imagine not but don't have sufficient information to categorically say no. I would imagine a NAS like Synology's or Westerna Digital would work perfectly. I've been aiming to get one for home. If I do I'll try it out and report back.

GuntharBecker
Expert

Post by GuntharBecker » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:09 pm

martygras wrote:
GuntharBecker wrote:Yes, if anybody here has had success with transferring files from Auria using said method, please share your experience. Been pondering this myself recently, as file management on the iPad is one of my biggest gripes ATM...
Aw man, I saw the first word in your reply, "yes", and thought, hells yeah, but then I read the rest of your post and shook mu fist in the air at you. :D

Man I would even be happy with the ability to use a thumbdrive via the CCK.
:lol: Sorry for the false hope.
iPad Air 2 64, Scarlett 18i8, Auria, etc.

thelip

Post by thelip » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:50 am

I've tried a few different approaches:
I picked up a seagate goflex a year or 2 ago and tried with both the stock firmware and a hacked firmware via http://www.hackseagatesatellite.com/ (which expanded the drive quite well and made it more a standard NAS) and neither would work well with Auria directly.

No server solution like Apple's Server app or a raspberry pi worked.

I actually tried creating a headless pi to allow me to transfer projects via VNC or CLI from Auria to a the goflex and while it kind of worked, between quirks and bugs it was really not worth the struggle.

I ended up just saving for a larger 64Gb iPad and that was well worth it. Between the added costs of software and hardware to cut corners I could have probably gone 128GB and still been ahead and had more sleep. :lol:

For FTP using Panic's Transmit and share sheets and/or Audioshare there were some pretty solid workflows for audio samples though. I'm really crossing my fingers that Rim allows projects to be shared via share sheets as that seems like a pretty easy way to implement the concept without needing to bake in his own FTP/webdav client. Having said that, I'm not a dev so I could be way off on that assumption. I will say that I'm a talented tinkerer and would discourage any NAS solutions for the time being. Hope my experiences are some help.

tonydean
Expert

Post by tonydean » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:04 am

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Seems for all us auria users, it's an ongoing problem with Apple being a PITA (Pain In The A&&) when it comes to being able to use our iPads with external hard drives!
iPad Air 2 128 gig wifi, iOS 11.4, Auria 2.0. Focusrite itrack dock. iFretless Bass, iRig Pro, Rode NT2-A recording mic, Takamine G-Series AC Gtr. Cole Clark Angel 2 Bunya/Blackwood acoustic.

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:20 am

I am confident we will have some options in a future release though. It's a pretty big deal.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)