IAA active on frozen track results in high cpu level?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

pete

IAA active on frozen track results in high cpu level?

Post by pete » Sun May 31, 2015 6:01 am

Hey everybody,

I've been working on a project recently with 15 mono and 1 stereo track, no problems so far. Then I recorded some vocals on another stereo track using VoiceRackFX app by TC-Helicon via channel strip (IAA).
After I finished recording, cpu level got very high during play back and I got a cpu overload message.
I froze the vocal track, but cpu level still was between 35-75% even when the song was not playing.
Freezing all tracks didn't help either.
Restarted Auria a couple of times and even rebooted the ipad twice, still the same. (By the way, flight mode was activated and no other apps were running at any time).
Then, sometime when I started Auria app again, I got an error message saying there was a problem loading the VoiceRackFX app (I'm not sure whether the name of the app was stated in the message or whether it just said error loading fx plug-in or something).
Anyway, now everything's fine, cpu level is at 6% when not playing and at max. 20% during playback.
So to me it seems, Auria was loading VoiceRackFX app even though the track was frozen.
Just thought I share my experience.
Best regards
pete

Rim
Site Admin

Re: IAA active on frozen track results in high cpu level?

Post by Rim » Sun May 31, 2015 6:34 am

Hi Pete,

Thanks, I am aware of this issue, and it's on my list to look into. It seems that Auria loads the IAA plugin into memory, even though the track is frozen.

Rim

pete

Post by pete » Sun May 31, 2015 9:21 am

Hey Rim,

thanks for your reply. Good to know you're at it.
In case this problem will occure again until you got it fixed, is there a better workaround than restarting Auria several times, hoping for that error loading the plug-in?

By the way, I think it would be a nice feature to have a freeze button on the subs which will freeze all tracks asigned to the sub group if pressed. Maybe you want to consider that in a future update.

Kind regards
pete

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun May 31, 2015 10:34 am

The best solution is to double tap on the home button and kill all apps, including the IAA that it's trying to load, then start Auria.

Having a sub freeze button is a good idea, but it could take a tremendous amount of time to freeze all the tracks in one go. Imagine a subgroup with 16 tracks assigned. It could take 30 minutes after you press that button to freeze all those tracks if the CPU usage was 50% and it was a 5 minute song...

Rim

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

some apps (like tonestack) get caught in the background, they're there but you can't kill them by double tapping the home button. What i do is load the app by itself and then I can delete it with the double tap home button.

if an app is 'invisibly' on in the background Auria has wild CPU spikes.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun May 31, 2015 10:35 pm

That's right, that can happen with IAAs. iOS has the ability to load an app and keep it in the background, taking CPU and memory without the user knowing it's running. Your solution is a good one in that case - open it manually, then close it with the double-tap method once it's open.

Rim

instinctive
Expert

Post by instinctive » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:44 am

Rim: I think that math might be flawed -- if all those 16 tracks were able to run concurrently in the first place while using 50% CPU, it shouldn't take longer than 2,5 minutes to freeze them for a 5 minute song :mrgreen:

pete

Post by pete » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:49 am

Hey mtingle,

thanks for your advice. You answered my next question before I even asked ;)
That was exactly my problem. When I double tapped the home button, the only visible app was Auria.

Best regards
pete

pete

Post by pete » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:59 am

Hey Rim,

good point about the sub-freezing-time issue. But then you could show a little pop-up warning, maybe with three options: freeze all assigned tracks, freeze sub only or cancel.
If I need to freeze some tracks anyway, I'd prefer to do it in a single step that takes a longer time over having to freeze the tracks one by one, which in the end will take even more time. I would rather click once and use the waiting time to make some fresh coffee ;)

An alternativ would be, if I could select multiple tracks in the mixing view and choose to freeze all selected tracks from the menu.

Best regards
pete

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:07 am

@Instinctive - You're right, it could actually freeze them all at once, taking only 2.5 minutes. Good point.

Rim