Saturn/timeless vs amp models

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

rickwaugh
Expert

Saturn/timeless vs amp models

Post by rickwaugh » Sat May 09, 2015 6:30 pm

I have picked up extra packs for amplitube. I bought flying haggis. I downloaded the free version of jamup. Been thinking about overloud. But I watched the video on Saturn today, after someone had posted a previous note about using it for guitar. And I'm wondering, why am I mucking around with amp models that try and sound like something, that try to be something they're not? Why pretend I need to emulate a microphone, a speaker cabinet, an amplifier, and three pedals? I guess as an old guitar player, that's how my brain works. But between Saturn and timeless, and the compressors and filters I already have, maybe I should just concentrate on learning a more useful tool, that matches the environment I'm in. Looks like I can do as much, if not more, with those two items, and be able to use them in a bunch of other places as well.

I'm curious if anyone has gone this route.

Johow
Expert

Re: Saturn/timeless vs amp models

Post by Johow » Sat May 09, 2015 7:44 pm

Cool, let us hear some of those wild things!!!
Air2 128GB, Auria Pro, Loopy, various apps in my collection. Assorted microphones, old m-audio mini keyboard, home made E-drum set, can of rocks, a bunch of home made acoustic and electric guitars, Basses, mandolins and guitjos, +other noise making toys.

rkmonkey
Expert

Post by rkmonkey » Sat May 09, 2015 7:46 pm

I here ya. I muck around a bit with those plugs but not nearly as satisfying as selecting an amp and effects. I seem to use them as an after thought. I am an addict and buy plugs every sale so I now own them all. I love overloud and seem to go to it often especially if I have CPU issues. Own most amp apps and bought BIAS FX today. Has amazing tone. I have had CPU issues with BIAS in Auria and have not tried fx yet.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Sat May 09, 2015 8:16 pm

I know, it's fun to muck with the pedals and amps. You kind of know what they are supposed to do. But that would be another good thing - getting out of that mindset, and just seeing what comes out of the filter.

rkmonkey
Expert

Post by rkmonkey » Sun May 10, 2015 10:57 am

Timeless and Saturn have so many features and variables that it would take me more life than I have to figure out how to make/sculpt a sound I am looking for. have used them to juice up my crappy vocals. In Auria I often use multiple tracks for a single guitar. Today, I had three live guitar tracks to play over a backing track in Auria. One had Overloud blues, one had clean with a little microwarmer and verb, one had my new fav BIAS fx. Happy to report little dent in air 2 memory or CPU.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Mon May 11, 2015 10:56 pm

Nice. I have been religious about freezing tracks, but the last piece I did I think I had fourteen tracks in it, and it was fine on memory and cpu, not even breathing hard, even the times I had them not frozen.

I played with the psp chorus and delay effects tonight, and the fab filter micro, and it sure sounded nice. Will pick up Saturn at some point soon. And timeless.