can a mixing console be used with auria

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

rodrorc51

can a mixing console be used with auria

Post by rodrorc51 » Fri May 08, 2015 10:55 am

Hello,

i recently got auria and a focusrite 18i20 interface, and have no problems recording with it.
but im interested in buying a mixing console for my home studio, its a behringer EURODESK SX2442FX. i think is possible to connect the board's output to one of the channels on the interface, but im not sure, will this work? and if so will i only have control of all the channels on the board via one channel on auira?

does anyone have experience connecting a mixing console to auria this way?

i realize there is a inteface/mixing (Behringer Digital Mixer x32) console that is compatible with auria but its $2500.00
and i dont have the cash for this.

thanks in advance

Corey W
Expert

Re: can a mixing console be used with auria

Post by Corey W » Fri May 08, 2015 12:46 pm

Typically when you use a mixing board in a studio or live situation in conjunction with an audio interface, you run all of your inputs into the mixing board and then run a snake out of all the channel direct outputs and go into the audio interface. This allows you to still retain independent channel recording for a better mix down experience later.

Looking at the EURODESK SX2442FX specifically, there are no direct channel outs, so your only option would be to come out of the board through the stereo outputs or the Auxiliary sends. If you are okay with only being able to record a few separate channels or a stereo min into Auria, then this will work.

IMO maybe look around for an inexpensive board with direct channel outs. This will also give you future capability of connecting a patch bay to have more flexible routing in your studio.

-Corey

rodrorc51

Post by rodrorc51 » Fri May 08, 2015 12:58 pm

thanks Corey!

since auria already has a mixer, do you think im better off using Auria?

Corey W
Expert

Post by Corey W » Fri May 08, 2015 1:44 pm

That is entirely up to your preference of mixing. If you decide to just stick with the 18i20 and mixing in the box with Auria, you may want to check out some compatible fader packs if you like having physical buttons and knobs.

Other options may be trying to find an iOS compatible mixer with a USB connection and USB return channels. (this would replace your current Focusrite interface) This way you can record into Auria, send the audio back to your board to mix in analog (so to speak). Soundcraft is working on getting the Signature MTK boards up to iOS compliancy and they run much less than the cost of an X32. May be worth the wait.

-Corey

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Fri May 08, 2015 2:15 pm

check this out:

http://www.soundcraft.com/products/signature-12-MTK

its an interface as well so you could sell the focusrite. due in shops this June.

They also do a 22 input version.

Its untested with an ipad but it's class compliant so should work in theory.

rodrorc51

Post by rodrorc51 » Fri May 08, 2015 2:35 pm

thanks for your suggestions guys!

instinctive
Expert

Post by instinctive » Sat May 09, 2015 2:43 am

When I still had a "real" studio, I ended up buying a Mackie Control and one extender, which gives you 16 motorized faders, panpots, mute, solo, transport controls etc... so yes, I guess "nowadays", the way to go is doing everything possible in the box (or "on the slab of glass" :lol: ) and if you want more hands-on control, get a MIDI controller with a bunch of faders, pots and buttons :) if you have any external synths etc, bring their signals into Auria with a multichannel interface.

rodrorc51

Post by rodrorc51 » Mon May 11, 2015 8:59 am

ok, any suggestions on a midi mixing controller?

sELF
Expert

Post by sELF » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:08 pm

I've been in touch with Soundcraft and still had no confirmation regarding multi channel audio, into the iPad, via the MTK12? Can anyone enlighten us on this subject? As soon as I can, I'll go into a store and test this! I'm also still unclear about how the K-Mix might function, multi channel. Are there any other mixers in this price range worth considering? Beyond the stereo outs of the Yamaha, Allen & Heath etc...

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:41 am

I use a 24 channel 8 buss Tascam studio console from 1997. Its a real gem. I have had the Focusrite 18i20 running on it. This is how I used it. Since you can only record 8 inputs at once I simply used the direct inputs of the 18i20 for recording as there was no need for me to use the channel strip of my console. In my console I can send direct outs of each channel but I found no need for that. If I wanted to include FX or EQ I simply set those external units inline during the recording of the track. Where the console comes in handy is the playback or analog summing. I sent all the tracks out the 8 outputs of 18i20 and summed them on the console while inserting FX and EQ through the console and then re recorded the effected tracks back into the 18i20 as a newly effected track into Auria. Works great. However I ended up going for the Motu 24 AO for a whopping 24 tracks out with the option to go as high as 48. I use my SSL and Audient mic pre for all my tracking because they are discrete analog preamps. All 3 of my mic preamps are plugged into the Motu 24AO via ADAT light pipe. So the only usb device plugged into the iPad is the Motu 24AO. It will accept 24 channels in via these connectors. I really love sending 24 tracks to my mixing console. The flexibility is great with this combo. When analog summing in Auria you simply assign the tracks to either a Subgroup channel in Auria or use the Aux 1&2 to send out the OutPut Matrix in Auria. In the output matrix you can tell which track to go out a specific analog output of your audio device. All available outputs will be shown. As for the Soundcraft MTK22, I had to cancel my order many months ago as the responses from the company were too unbelievable. The Motu setup is far better and the audio quality is really good. Sabre Ultra 32 converters with 123db of headroom above the noise floor. As well the software to set up the Motu product is right on your iPad. Cheers and hope this helps.
Here is a pic of my A.I.R.Studio and the big blue light on the rack is the Motu24AO.
Attachments
IMG_0084.JPG

sELF
Expert

Post by sELF » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:38 pm

Hey...great studio setup! Slightly bigger than what I'm aiming for currently :)
What were the unbelievable responses from Soundcraft? I've found them very unsure about whether their product works with the iPad? One of these companies who've only just heard of it! But, multi output mixers with USB and class compliant, quality AD conversion seem rare. At least around the cheaper end of the market. The K-Mix looks interesting. Again, it's hard to get assurances that these will work with Auria! My search goes on!

Joepno

Post by Joepno » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:12 pm

Hi,

I am using the Yamaha MGP16X Mixer with the 18i20 and Auria. The MGP16X does not have Direct Outs either, but you can use the Inserts for this purpose with mono line cable which you plug in only half way. This works with some other mixers the same way. This gives me all the flexibility I need, i.e recording 8 separate tracks (actually 16 with the Focusrite Octopre Mk II) and using the faders of the mixer at the same time or just using the analog mixer for normal live settings.

Today, I would probably go for the Behringer X32 Producer which gives you the same flexibility and more in a single unit.

Best
Joepno