Just bought the latest iPad and now have Auria installed

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

fonts

Just bought the latest iPad and now have Auria installed

Post by fonts » Fri May 01, 2015 10:19 am

So what shopping list do I need to complete to run it with the Focusrite 18i20?

fonts

Re: Just bought the latest iPad and now have Auria Pro insta

Post by fonts » Fri May 01, 2015 11:02 am

OK read interface thread, just ordered the CCK from Apple.

fonts

Post by fonts » Fri May 01, 2015 11:19 am

Just ordered the interface-more annoying newb questions in about 5 days ;)

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Fri May 01, 2015 2:44 pm

Hey, that's what we are here for. Although I don't have your interface, there are already some good threads here about its use.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

fonts

Re: Just bought the latest iPad and now have Auria installed

Post by fonts » Fri May 01, 2015 7:08 pm

Awesome!

fonts

Post by fonts » Sat May 02, 2015 7:50 am

I guessing I can't swipe to the edit screen because I haven't recorded anything yet?

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sat May 02, 2015 1:29 pm

fonts wrote:I guessing I can't swipe to the edit screen because I haven't recorded anything yet?
You don't 'swipe' to get to the Edit screen, you use the icon at top-left of screen :)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat May 02, 2015 8:58 pm

Make sure you're in landscape mode on your iPad. Edit mode is only available in landscape mode.

Rim

fonts

Post by fonts » Sat May 02, 2015 9:46 pm

Ok I 'll try tomorrow, thanks!

fonts

Post by fonts » Sun May 03, 2015 9:04 am

Washboy wrote:
fonts wrote:I guessing I can't swipe to the edit screen because I haven't recorded anything yet?
You don't 'swipe' to get to the Edit screen, you use the icon at top-left of screen :)
Whew, that did the trick, thank you! :)

I must have been tapping on the icon while in portrait mode :oops: so it was inactive.

Also trying to swipe it over was a mistaken memory of watching a youtube review of this product.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun May 03, 2015 9:48 am

I find those icons counter-intuitive, to be honest. That is, I'd expect the icon(s) of available option(s) to be highlighted, rather than the dimmed. As it is, when you're on the 'Mix' window, the 'Mix' ŵindow's icon/button is highlighted and the 'Edit' window's icon is dimmed. So the icon/button is acting as an unnecessary status indicator (because you can plainly see which window you're on, without the aid of the icon!). The icon/buttons on the toolbar are dimmed when they're inactive, as you'd expect.

There's been a long-running debate with @Rim, suggesting that there should be only one icon/button in that position which acts as a toggle between 'Mix' and 'Edit' windows. He (rightly) argues that a 'toggle' button works for only two windows and that there may eventually be more than two windows to switch between. Fair point.

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Mon May 04, 2015 6:50 am

there are icon inconsistencies in Auria, pretty small be they are there. for instance, the FX button is 'lite' indicating that FX's are used on that track. Then you select the fx panel for the track and the 'bypass' is 'lite' indicating the FX's are not operative. This confuses the identity of a 'lite' icon, does 'lite' mean on or off?

A few little things but not much really. On the whole Auria's GUI is very good and heaps better than masses of other apps out there.

I'd prefer the edit and mix buttons to look the same, they don't need to show any status on the buttons themselves.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon May 04, 2015 11:30 am

The lighting of the buttons are consistent with most desktop DAWs, and that's why I chose to do it this way (so that users that are coming from a desktop DAW will be familiar to the functionality). The FX button lights to tell you there's an effect or a channelstrip section which is active. Once you open the Fx window, there's a Bypass button at the top that lights to tell you bypass is active. It may seem counter-intuitive to have a lit button mean different things on different buttons, but it's the way most DAWs do it. I could make it more consistent by using an Enable button instead of a Bypass button, but most DAWs don't do it that way.

Rim

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Mon May 04, 2015 1:21 pm

Rim wrote:The lighting of the buttons are consistent with most desktop DAWs, and that's why I chose to do it this way (so that users that are coming from a desktop DAW will be familiar to the functionality). The FX button lights to tell you there's an effect or a channelstrip section which is active. Once you open the Fx window, there's a Bypass button at the top that lights to tell you bypass is active. It may seem counter-intuitive to have a lit button mean different things on different buttons, but it's the way most DAWs do it. I could make it more consistent by using an Enable button instead of a Bypass button, but most DAWs don't do it that way.

Rim
Thanks interesting I didn't know that.

I guess as the interface is semi- skeuomorphic it kind of looks like it comes from a traditional console which means it might be equally be valid to have a 'lite' button meaning something is activated.

6 of one half a dozen of the other. Sweet interface non-the-less :)

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Mon May 04, 2015 1:42 pm

With due respect to @mtingle's comments, the OP's confusion was related to selection of the 'Mix' / 'Edit' windows and the intuitiveness (or otherwise) of the window selection buttons/icons.

I have always felt that, when looking to switch windows, the user's eye (and thus finger) is drawn to the brighter icon - well mine is, at least! :oops: Unfortunately the brighter icon is not the one that will select a different window. As I said earlier, there is no need for a button/icon to select the currently-selected window. It's totally superfluous and a waste of screen real estate.

For the benefit of new users, when viewing the 'Mix' window in portrait mode, perhaps the icon at top-left should remind the user somehow that the 'Edit' window is unavailable in portrait mode.