ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

popyourcorn

Re: ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

Post by popyourcorn » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:45 am

Thank you, I tried but the final results sounds a bit different than the original. But maybe I have to try again and tweak more.

NilsOstergren

Post by NilsOstergren » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:45 am

Hi! What am I doing wrong when a processed bounce or mixdown of a singel mono track is about 3 dB lower than the original?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:21 am

This can happen if you try to import a mono audio file into a stereo track. Try creating a new mono track and importing that audio file into the new track.

Rim

NilsOstergren

Post by NilsOstergren » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:21 am

Thanks Rim. The track is not imported. It is recorded in a new project in Auria and processed in the same project.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:02 pm

Sure, but there's an option in the Mixdown window to import the audio file. I assume that's what you were using? If so, try re-importing the file which Mixdown created onto an actual mono track.

Rim

NilsOstergren

Post by NilsOstergren » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:48 pm

Yes Rim, I did choose to import the mixdown in mono. Now, as you suggested, I have imported the mixdown file to a new track but it is also 3 dB lower. I have also done a mixdown without using the option to import it and thereafter imported it to a new mono track, but that is 3 dB lower to.

EDIT:
One more thing. The mixdown is peaking just above -6dB. I normalize it to 0 dB and the waveform "grows", but it still peaks around -6 dB. Am I using Normalize or the Master Meter the wrong way?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:17 pm

When normalizing, if you choose Peak mode, your peak should equal the normalize value you chose. Did you have it in Peak mode?

Rim

NilsOstergren

Post by NilsOstergren » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:23 pm

Yes peak mode and Level 0 dB.
EDIT: Just finished exporting the project to Dropbox. Opened the normalized mixdown file in Adobe Audition and it peaks to 0 dB. So I must be doing something wrong in Auria. Isn't the Master meter supposed to show the levels of a track played in Edit mode?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:37 pm

Is it possible that you've got something enabled in the master strip or the brick wall limiter? These will affect the master meter levels.

Rim

NilsOstergren

Post by NilsOstergren » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:16 pm

No, nothing enabled there.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:40 pm

Actually, I know what's going on here. What you're seeing is normal, because when looking at a mono track on a stereo meter, each channel will be 3dB down. This is due to the pan law. You can adjust this by picking a different pan law in the settings, but by default, a mono track appears 3dB lower in each side when going into a stereo bus. Panning it to one side or the other will make it 0dB on that side, but setting the pan pot in the middle will cause it to be 3dB down on each side.

Rim

NilsOstergren

Post by NilsOstergren » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:13 am

Thanks Rim. It works when i pan the mixdown track to one side. The Master meter shows the same levels as the original track. Can I make any changes in Settings so I don't have to pan to one side everytime I work with one mono track? Changing Pan Law does not seem to help. And can you explain why my Auria mixdown is 3 dB lower after having exported it with AudioCopy to TwistedWave in my iPad or is that a question for TwistedWave support?

EDIT: The lower levels in TwistedWave might be caused by AudioCopy. Transfering with AudioShare give correct levels in TW.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:09 pm

In all professional DAWs (including Auria), a mono track will be lower in volume in each channel when added to a stereo bus. This is due to the way panning works. The theory is since you've typically got two speakers playing your mono track, it would be louder than if only one speaker was playing it. So pan law compensates for this. The goal of pan law is so your track sounds like it was the same volume, no matter where the pan pot was set.

In Auria, you can set the pan law to Linear to avoid any reduction in volume when the pan pot is set to center. But this is not recommended when mixing, because the transition between L to R when panning will sound uneven.

Rim

NilsOstergren

Post by NilsOstergren » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:31 am

OK, thanks again, Rim. Forgive my ignorance. If I had known it had to do with pan laws Google might have found this explanation http://www.harmonycentral.com/articles/ ... nning-laws for me before I published my first question here :)

rickyroc

Post by rickyroc » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:40 pm

I would like to know what ipad to buy to get the best results with auria? I believe there are some memory use problems with ipad air 2. It doesn't seem practical to buy the air 1 when the 2 is suppose to be a better processor. Let me know your thoughts.