Help - USB mic levels

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

oxladed

Help - USB mic levels

Post by oxladed » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:27 am

Hi,

I have an iPad 4, a Blue Yeti USB mic connected via an official camera kit and the latest version of Auria. I have tried recording but the levels are way too high so it clips almost instantly (gain on the mic is down as low as it can be). Altering the record level within the app doesn't seem to make any difference (although it does work when working with the built-in mic). I've tried connecting the mic using both a powered USB hub and directly in to the iPad with the same results.

I have recorded in Garageband using the same hardware setup and that appears to be fine.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Dave

martygras
Expert

Re: Help - USB mic levels

Post by martygras » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:02 pm

From the Auria user's guide:
Record Level
Auria includes a track-specific input gain adjustment for controlling record levels, separate from the audio interface’s own gain controls. To adjust the recording level on a particular track tap and hold the red record enable button until a pop-up menu appears, and then tap Record Level.

Tap and drag the gain knob to boost or cut the recording signal level.

As a general rule-of-thumb, digital-based recording systems, like Auria, have a very large amount of dynamic range available. This, coupled with a good low-noise analog signal chain before the analog-digital converter, means that concern over the signal-to-noise ratio in traditional analog recording is a much less significant factor in the digital realm. To put it more plainly, since there isn’t any concern over things like tape noise or channel crosstalk, it’s best to allow for a healthy amount of headroom when recording. One common recommendation is to aim for peak levels around
-18 dBFS (or even lower), though this is up to the end user.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

oxladed

Post by oxladed » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:34 pm

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I was aware of the recording levels on each track however they do not seem to make any difference. I am looking currently at two tracks (the mic is stereo so I have it feeding in to two tracks). Just experimenting, the record level of one of the tracks is set to -144.0dB whilst the other is at +10dB. The 'dancing lights' however (i.e. the level at which sound is actually being recorded) are identical for both tracks, both of which are way too loud (the levels are around half-way up just from me typing on my keyboard!).

Hence, I'm not sure that I'm doing anything wrong here. I had seen that this was noted as a bug but this was around a year ago so I was hoping it was fixed by now.

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:25 pm

What pattern is the Yeti set on and what is the gain set at on the mic?

oxladed

Post by oxladed » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:04 pm

The Yeti is in stereo mode and the gain on the mic is at minimum. I haven't tried it in any other modes but moving the gain up only has the expected results of making things worse...

markgastar

Post by markgastar » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:58 am

I have the same problem using an at2020 USB mic: the recording level knob (yes, the secret hidden red one) does not effect input. Even more frustrating is that it SOMETIMES works correctly, but only for the first take, and then it stops having any effect on levels. Like you, I have used this mic without issue on other apps: GarageBand and Multitrack DAW.

I would sort of like the developers to just say "Yes, we know. USB mic's don't work." Or, preferably, "You are making a simple mistake...do this this this and this and your USB mic will work." Instead I'm left wondering "What am I doing wrong? It can't possibly be this glitchy."

And glitchy is is. I have only been trying to use Auria for a couple months now and have run into problems (both major and minor) with nearly every use. Again, am I doing something wrong? Or is Auria, in fact, just a fickle, sticky, tricky monster. Very frustrating, since I love the sound and features when they work properly.

My dream: the ease of use, and solid reliability of Multitrack Daw with the bells and whistles of Auria.

P.S. Workaround for the USB mic problem: I run the mic through Audiobus and then through something like JamUp or Remaster....anything with its own gain control. I adjust my levels from there. Seems to work OK, but I just shouldn't HAVE to do that. Hopefully someone will hear or pain. A. Alves is very helpful.

instinctive
Expert

Post by instinctive » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:55 am

I have absolutely no clue about interfacing with USB audio devices in iOS, but maybe the Mic has 24 bit resolution, but Auria interprets that as 16 bit? Just a random thought...

markgastar

Post by markgastar » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:54 am

The at2020 USB mic has 16bit resolution. It plugs into the iPad via the Camera Conetion Kit and the iPad supplies the necessary phantom power. It's worked with other DAWs and audio apps. It does record into Auria, and sounds great, but the input level is wildly unpredictable from moment to moment and does not respond to the Recod Level knob. I'd really love to know if I'm simply missing something or if USB mic's in general just do not work exactly right in Auria. Thanks for your response.

oxladed

Post by oxladed » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:10 pm

Markgastar - you describe my problem exactly. I really don't think I'm doing anything wrong (although I'm happy to be proven wrong). The annoying thing is that one of the main reasons I bought Auria was especially to use with this mic to record live shows and now I find that it doesn't work. I'm wondering if there is a way to get my money back for the app as it appears to be next to useless for me.

markgastar

Post by markgastar » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:17 pm

Oxladed. Try this with your Yeti. It works with my at202. Get DMIMixer at the App Store ($1.99). Open Audiobus. Auria in output slot. DMIMixer in input slot. Arm a track in Auria. You can now adjust your mic level in DMIMixer. Return to Auria. Tap and hold the record button to bring up red record level knob. It will not work (just like before) but start recording AND ADJUST THE KNOB AS YOU RECORD. NOW IT WORKS. Rewind and start your recording. Hope this works with your Yeti. Meanwhile, the developer says he is looking into the issue and will hopefully deal with it in the next update. So don't give up on Auria. It sounds great when you get it running.

oxladed

Post by oxladed » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:15 am

Thanks - I'll give that a go. I assume that this works as Auria is essentially taking the feed not from the USB mic itself but from Audiobus instead (i.e. it adds a virtual 'box' in the signal chain)?

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:04 pm

I wanted to point out that usb mics are okay for podcasts, but for serious musical recordings I highly recommend getting a condenser mic.
I have both of the usb mics spoken of above and have not experienced any of the problems stated.

markgastar

Post by markgastar » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:46 pm

martygras. Thanks for your input. So, your at2020usb plugged straight into the iPad via the camera conect kit works and allows you to adjust the recording level with the red knob? That is hopeful news. I'm trying the same thing. I'm using an iPad Air 2, and official Apple Camera kit with an official lightning adaptor. I rebooted my device and opened Auria by itself, and opened a new project with default settings. My at2020 USB will record, but without any control over recording level. Does anything sound wrong with my method?

Also, I agree about traditional mics vs USB mic's. I've never owned a USB mic until I wanted to take advantage of the iPad as a small, mobile, and battery-driven recording option.

AndyE
Expert

Post by AndyE » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:39 pm

Bought a Rode NT USB condenser mic last week. Tried it with Auria and it works perfectly. Sounds great and is really quiet. Seems perfect for recording into IPad. Highly recommended.