Audio disappeared

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

supanorton
Expert

Audio disappeared

Post by supanorton » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:27 pm

I was doing some editing. Slicing regions, copying and pasting them further down the track rail. Upon completion, I refroze the track on which I was working, and the audio from the last track I recorded disappeared. The track, channel strip and plugin setting remained, but no audio. I couldn't find it when I looked in the project files via import audio. Lost a couple of hours worth of work and a pretty good performance (at least for me). The audio that disappeared was on a different track than the one I was editing.

edit: I just remembered that I unfroze the track whose audio disappeared, and then it was gone.
I'm running latest version of Auria on iPad 2. I do monitor memory and CPU as I work, and there weren't any issues. I've got plenty of disc space.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Audio disappeared

Post by Rim » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:57 am

So you unfroze the track, and after unfreezing, the audio was missing at that point? I have not been able to duplicate this here. If you ever are able to duplicate this every time on a project, please send me that project. It's pretty easy for me to fix obscure bugs like this if I can make it happen reliably. So an example project would really help.

Thanks,
Rim

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:47 am

It was strange. After I moved my copied regions, I noticed the convolution reverb stopped working on the track region that disappeared. I was using the channel strip effects, the Pro-C (the "aggressive" preset), and convolution reverb ("right place" preset). I unfroze the track to see if I could enable it and, poof! Bye bye audio. I did notice the convolution reverb cutting out one other time while the track was frozen; I re-enabled it after unfreezing it. Perhaps it's related to that somehow? I'm hoping to sing the part again later today. I'll let you know if it happens again.

I don't record effects, but do enable the channel strip effects to be heard while recording.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:33 am

I'm confused, because the convolution reverb (and all effects) are not present when you freeze a track. They are removed completely (to save on CPU and memory). So any convolution reverb you had on that frozen track is printed into the track (you can see this it true when you press stop on the transport, the reverb sound stops immediately, you don't hear the tail). So I can't see how you would loose just the convolution reverb on a frozen track. Unless you mean your convolution reverb was on an aux send?

Rim

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:59 am

The reverb was in the plugin slot in the channel strip, not in the aux send. I was muting and soloing among three tracks of a sixteen track project. When I engaged all the tracks again, the reverb was inaudible on the track that eventually disappeared. It happened at least one other time that I remember. Every track in the project was frozen except the one I was working on. I would slice a region of the unfrozen track in two places, highlight the region, copy the region, paste the region, refreeze the track, unfreeze the next track and repeat the process. Somewhere in that process, the reverb stopped working on a frozen track on which it was previously working.

Come to think of it, there was one time when I sliced and copied from a track that was frozen. I realized the track was frozen after I tried pasting. I didn't see the pasted audio in the rail and realized the track was frozen. I undid the previous paste, copy, and slice, then unfroze the track, and began again. I don't know exactly where in all that the reverb stopped working, but it definitely did. Maybe it had something to do with trying to edit a frozen track?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:20 pm

It's very possible that trying to edit a frozen track could cause strange things to happen. But it's not possible for reverb to disappear from a frozen track, because the reverb and the audio are "mixed down" on frozen tracks. If it happens again, please let me know.

Thanks,
Rim

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:27 pm

Thanks, Rim. Your attention to the members of this forum is really quite amazing.

DavePDX
Expert

Post by DavePDX » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:50 pm

Perhaps unrelated, but I've had a couple of random instances a while back where it seemed that the audio had disappeared from a project, in that there was no waveform visible and nothing selectable on a track. However, after a brief moment of panic, I hit play and the sound was still there. Restarting Auria caused the waveform to reappear. I never reported it, as it only happened once or twice and wasn't reproducible.

timmyg
Expert

Post by timmyg » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:18 am

I've had the same problem recently on 2 songs. I've had frozen tracks which when they are un-frozen, the audio is deleted and a 'missing' message appears in a blank audio segment.

Is there now a fix to this issue as I can see a few people have had this but can't find the fix on the forum?

Tim

Qwerty

Post by Qwerty » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:05 pm

Oh dear! Spent untold hours on this project and nearly finished and poof there goes the overhead track!!! Unfroze it to edit a ringing cymbal and completely gone. Can't get it back from previous snapshots. I do hope there is a fix for this andcan get it back. Spent far too much precious time on this project to loose a track now, wouldn't mind but it's the backbone of the recording!! There is an infinity symbol on the missing track. Am I missing something? Besides the overhead track :)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:12 pm

Try loading a previous snapshot. Auria makes automatic snapshots every 10 minutes, so there should be one there from before you unfroze that track.

Rim

Qwerty

Post by Qwerty » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:08 am

As I said the track has dissapeared from previous snapshots also

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:27 am

Sorry to hear you're having problems, @Qwerty. I don't have a solution for you but it would be a good idea to backup your project folder to a desktop, using iFunBox or the like, before you try anything further.

Is it likely that, by unfreezing the track in question, it caused a CPU overload (i.e. the unfrozen track uses various FX and bringing them back into play was too much to handle!)? I appreciate that doesn't move things forward for you but this issue has cropped up a few times before and the more information @Rim gets about it, the more likely it is he'll be able to prevent it happening in future :)

Good luck! :D

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:59 am

Did you by chance have the Project Auto Cleanup option turned on in the settings?

Rim

Qwerty

Post by Qwerty » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:48 am

I doubt it, I hadn't turned it on but I'll have a look when I get back from work. I had a look through audio files using import audio and it's completely gone from there also. Luckily and by complete chance I had mixed down the overhead to send to band mates so I was able to retrieve that to use. If I had not done that the project and time spent would have been wasted. Highly annoying, is there a way to avoid this? Should I try and keep CPU to below 50% whilst purely mixing (obviously lower when recording but all the recording was complete)?