iPad air 2 HELP

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Lip206
Expert

iPad air 2 HELP

Post by Lip206 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:01 am

[ :twisted: So I got a iPad air last year Scarlett 6i6 rode nt1 to get me going on recording some music and of course the best daw for iPad auria of course well when I heard about the iPad air 2 coming out I sold my 16gb iPad air and got the 64gb iPad air 2 we'll ever since then the joy of recording became a headache I've read other post reset my settings restored iPad to original state uninstalled reinstalled auria but my cpu keeps redlining does any one have any suggestions to get me back to the way this should run or are we waiting for a update and if any one had solutions that worked for them let me know

Rim
Site Admin

Re: iPad air 2 HELP

Post by Rim » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:51 am

Is the CPU redlining only when you move the mixer left and right on the screen (or the editor)? There's a knwn Apple bug that causes this to happen/ We have a workaround in place that minimizes this effect, but it's still possible to make the CPU overload if you scroll around very fast and often. This issue only affects the iPad Air 2, and Apple is aware of it and working on a fix.

If it's happening without scrolling around, it's something else and we can try and help. Let me know.

Rim

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:34 am

Sorry but it's not true.When i hit the 45% mark i can even just LOOK at the mixer and quite often it stops without doing anything.Definitely not only when"scrolling fast".The cpu overload window even appears in the edit screen (though not that often than in the other window).Can we please have your"old"scrollview fix back?

Currently i have less power for serious work in Auria than i had with my Mini retina :|
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

Lip206
Expert

Post by Lip206 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:20 pm

No like the other guy said I can be doing nothing and I spike up past 70 percent I never had this problem on the original iPad air

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:00 pm

Yes, the more aggressive workaround which was in the previous version will be back again in the next update. But this only affects scrolling, so if you're getting CPU overloads when it's not scrolling, it's not related to this bug.

I would love to see examples where the CPU usage is higher on an Air 2 vs an Air 1 with the same project and scrolling is not involved. If this is happening, I'd like to be able to send Apple an example.

Does anyone have both an Air 2 and and Air 1 to test this? In other words, same project, play for a few minutes without any scrolling and observe the results.

Thanks,
Rim

Fitz
Expert

Post by Fitz » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:22 am

Hi all, I've been sent from another post to test. I have Air's 1 and 2 (and the 4 but didn't use it in these tests).
I used 4 tracks, just stereo loops. I put an effect on every loop plus a convolution reverb on the Aux. Put this project into Dropbox and tested on both ipad's. No spikes. Consistent CPU on both.
I tried adding 2 effects on each track, still no problems. By the way, I only used Auria effects - no IAAs. Turnado and Wow were in there, Pro q, c, Microwarmer, Saturn, timeless. Tested again, no problems on either iPads.
Then I put 4 effects on each track, including a couple of Conv reverbs, plus a Microwarmer on the Aux. Tested on both with no problems. The Air1 struggles a bit with this one at 89, but stopped only once and when I restarted played fine for a few minutes after.
Never had any spikes on the Air 2. Noticably better CPU scores (74 on that last test).
Let me know if you want me to test with more tracks, or to change any of the conditions.
Hope that helps.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:59 am

Thanks, I appreciate it. I assume you weren't doing a lot of scrolling around in the mixer or editor during these tests?

Rim

Fitz
Expert

Post by Fitz » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:07 pm

No, I just let it play. Occasionally switched view, checked which FX were on which channel, changed an Fx out of curiosity.

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:18 pm

Rim wrote:Yes, the more aggressive workaround which was in the previous version will be back again in the next update. But this only affects scrolling, so if you're getting CPU overloads when it's not scrolling, it's not related to this bug.

I would love to see examples where the CPU usage is higher on an Air 2 vs an Air 1 with the same project and scrolling is not involved. If this is happening, I'd like to be able to send Apple an example.

Does anyone have both an Air 2 and and Air 1 to test this? In other words, same project, play for a few minutes without any scrolling and observe the results.

Thanks,
Rim
I just stumbled over your post again and though i can't make a comparison with my mini retina (sold) i made a test project in gadget,maybe some other Air 2 user could test it themselves.I already have confirmations from other users (http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/7444/ ... -2#Item_22 ) who did the test:

KORG GADGET TEST ON AIR 2:

1.Quit all apps,restart your ipad,disable WLANetc,then open gadget
(Latency"standard").

2.create a new,empty project (default,128bpm)

3.Create a track with phoenix,choose preset 3 (new wave brass)

4.set some random notes on every second step (8th)

5.Duplicate this track 6 times (you have 7 tracks then)

6.Open the key edit on track 1 (panel visible)and watch.After some bars it starts
to glitch on my device.

7.Duplicate it once more,open the edit screen and watch.After some bars the
sound starts to glitch and completely disappear then!!

Eight tracks!

I had no problems with 15-23 realtime tracks on my mini retina.
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:05 pm

I've talked with Michael from Audiobus about this last week. It definitely seems like this is related to what we've been seeing in Auria, although Auria doesn't use Core Animation. Hopefully this will help Apple get closer to a solution.

Rim