Turning on Scarlett 2i2 without hooking to MAC/Ipad

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Dolswe

Turning on Scarlett 2i2 without hooking to MAC/Ipad

Post by Dolswe » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:50 pm

Hi everyone~!

I have recently purchased Scarlett 2i2. The choice was based on price and the number of inputs available. Two inpts seemed right for the budget.

I did not, however, like the idea of the device runnning on BUS power as I am using iPad instead of a computer so need to use powered USB hub to power my Scarlett. Now, what really bugs me is that even when the device is pluged in to powered USB hub it will not turn on unless the device is connected to iPad or a computer. Once it turns on, however, I can then unplug the iPad, and Scarlett would be kept on.

What I wanted to do is to keep Scarlett connected between the keyboard and the powered monitor at all times so I can play keyboard throgh Scarlett even when I am not recording. I thought I would power on the keyboard, Scarlett (through powered USB), and the monotor speakers and be able to play without having to plug in iPad when I am not recording.

I guess I could hook up my iPad everytime I wanted to play, but it seems unduely cumbersome to hook up ipad just to play keyboard, and having to change wiring everytime I swithch from playing to recording is even worse.

Does anyone know if there is a way to turn on the Scarlett 2i2 with powered USB but WITHOUT iPad/computer connected?

Thank you.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Turning on Scarlett 2i2 without hooking to MAC/Ipad

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:15 am

This was my last audio interface before the one I use now. Unfortunately NO. Niether does my M-Audio. Until these units see a host computer to do a handshake there will not be any input or output till it talks to the host computer. To solve your problem you just need a small mixer like a Mackie 4 channel. Cheers.
~~_/)~~~*

Dolswe

Post by Dolswe » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:08 pm

Anthony Alves wrote:This was my last audio interface before the one I use now. Unfortunately NO. Niether does my M-Audio. Until these units see a host computer to do a handshake there will not be any input or output till it talks to the host computer. To solve your problem you just need a small mixer like a Mackie 4 channel. Cheers.
~~_/)~~~*
Hi Anthony,

Thank you for the info. I suspected that there is no cure.. :(

Now that you had me thinking about getting a mixer i will probably spend some time resisting the temptation and then get one eventually. LOL

This whole getting the right recording gear seems quite addictive.

Cheers! :)

BGR
Expert

Post by BGR » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:24 am

The Behringer UMC404 does exactly that. I imagine that the other UMC products do the same.

Just provide power via a simple USB 5V wall or mobile power supply and you are good to go.

The only problem is that the quality of the supposed MIDAS preamps on the UMC line is incredibly inferior to the preamps on the Scarlett line. The self-noise on the UMC404 is quite noticeable. I would not recommend the UMC404 to anyone that wants to make better sounding recordings.

Still, the UMC404 is a beauty to handle. Plug and Play via powered USB hub. Auria compatible. Analog Inserts and Outputs. And every knob and button you need is available a your fingertips. A mobile digital mixer. If it weren't for the preamps, I would have kept mine.

EDIT: forgot to add that it is 100% Plug and Play Auria compatible after the latest firmware update available -which has to be done on a windows PC-.

amadeu

Post by amadeu » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:27 am

I asked the company. he answer is NO. A 5v charger I tried and doesnt work.
Roland does the job