iFretless Bass into Auria?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

tonydean
Expert

iFretless Bass into Auria?

Post by tonydean » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:54 pm

Hi folks. I just purchased iFretless Bass and was wondering how to record from iFretless Bass into Auria?
iPad Air 2 128 gig wifi, iOS 11.4, Auria 2.0. Focusrite itrack dock. iFretless Bass, iRig Pro, Rode NT2-A recording mic, Takamine G-Series AC Gtr. Cole Clark Angel 2 Bunya/Blackwood acoustic.

Washboy
Expert

Re: iFretless Bass into Auria?

Post by Washboy » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:11 pm

You can either:

A) use AudioBus (if you have it) with iFretless Bass in the Input slot and Auria in the Output slot, or

B) use iFretless Bass in a track's Insert Effect slot in Auria (i.e. using IAA - Inter-App Audio). Tap a track's 'FX' button and look in the drop-down list of effects over on the right-hand side of the Channel Strip. iFretless Bass will be one of the blue-coloured ones.

tonydean
Expert

Post by tonydean » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:23 pm

Thanks washboy. I tried the B option, when I click iFretless Bass in the FX channel strip, it loads the app, then crashes right away, then when I click the app again, it won't open. The red bar is up the top of the iPad screen that says Auria recording, but can't use iFretless?
iPad Air 2 128 gig wifi, iOS 11.4, Auria 2.0. Focusrite itrack dock. iFretless Bass, iRig Pro, Rode NT2-A recording mic, Takamine G-Series AC Gtr. Cole Clark Angel 2 Bunya/Blackwood acoustic.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:59 am

I don't think I can advise further here, Tony, because I'm still on iOS v7.1.2 and that may be a factor. Do you have any other IAA-compatible recording apps (AudioShare, for example) which you could use to test iFretless Bass re IAA?

Also, have you tried starting cold (i.e. make sure all apps have been killed via the iPad 'Home' button / swipe-up routine plus restarting your iPad) and loading Auria with only a blank project (make sure you have that project loaded before quitting so that it loads with Auria). Then you can add a track and 'insert' iFretless without concern for low memory issues. If you don't get the same crash then, you need to look at making sure all un-needed apps are killed from memory and heavily processed tracks have been frozen.

Give all that a go and see what happens. All the best :)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:56 am

When using IAAs, I recommend always going into Auria's settings and turning on Audiobus Mode. This ensures that Auria uses a small buffer size, making it more compatible with other apps.

Rim

tonydean
Expert

Post by tonydean » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:02 am

Thanks guys. I did get it working with wash boy's fix of starting a new project and resetting iPad. However, I have noticed a problem with the articulations in iFretless Bass when you start recording through iaa into Auria. When I open Auria, then go into the first track's FX/channel strip/iFretless Bass, the Bass app opens, and I have the little recording iaa window in the app. Now, before I start recording, if I just play a note on one of the bass strings with alternating fingers, to give me that smooth running bass, it plays fine. However, as soon as I press record and play, then play the note again with the alternating fingers, it only plays the first note, but not the note from my alternating finger. So, I'm not getting the articulation. It's like they are turned off when I start recording. Any ideas guys?

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:43 pm

I hope I understand correctly what you're describing, Tony. This is one of those situations where a video would be ideal! Basically, I don't get that symptom at all. iFretless Bass responds exactly the same for me (on an iPad3 / iOS v7.1.2), whether I'm actually recording in Auria or only monitoring.

As I mentioned earlier, it's always useful to be able to compare experience using another app. If you don't already have it, I highly recommend acquiring AudioShare. Not only is it a very useful audio manager and go-between. It also records and supports AudioBus and IAA. As you may already have noticed, Auria has built in audio import/export with AudioShare.

In this instance, you could compare how iFretless Bass 'plays' when used as an IAA instrument recording into AudioShare versus Auria. I think you'll find it's identical. Of course, any other iOS recording app that supports IAA would allow the same comparison.

Again, I'm sorry not to be of more help but I'm glad my previous advice got you one step nearer your goal :)

tonydean
Expert

Post by tonydean » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:48 pm

Thanks very much Washboy, you're always very helpful mate :D

tonydean
Expert

Post by tonydean » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:40 pm

Ok. I purchased Audiobus and Audioshare. I have tried Audiobus, with iFretless Bass as the input, no effects, and Auria as the output. Started recording some Bass guitar, and still have the same problem. However, I tried the same thing with Audioshare as the output, and voila! The Bass works perfectly! Thanks again guys for your help, esp. Washboy for your indepth info! :D