Auria makes Steinberg UR44 loopy!

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Washboy
Expert

Auria makes Steinberg UR44 loopy!

Post by Washboy » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:21 am

I've just purchased a Steinberg/Yamaha UR44 audio interface. I'm very pleased with it so far but I've encountered a small issue using it with Auria. I'll be grateful if other UR44/Auria users here will perform a quick test to confirm my findings (or otherwise).

In short, playback anything in Auria (via the interface, of course) and, while it's playing, go to Menu->Settings. For me, that makes the UR44 go into a sort of infinite loop/echo which can only be stopped by quitting and restarting Auria and/or power cycling the UR44. It is totally repeatable, even after rebooting everything.

Patient: "Doctor, every time I stand on one leg and turn my head to the side, I feel pain in my right thumb."
Doctor: "Well, don't do it then!"

Yes, well I would not normally go to Settings during playback (I did it by accident, when aiming for Menu->OutputMatrix). Nonetheless, it would be good to determine what Auria is doing that upsets the UR44 so that either Steinberg/Yamaha can be informed of an issue on their side, or perhaps @Rim can perform some of his magic to avoid triggering the issue in the UR44.

It might be helpful if a handful of users of other popular interfaces could try the above test and report their findings too. Maybe it's not specific to the UR44 :?:

Many thanks :D

iPad3/64 - iOS v7.1.2 / Auria v1.154 / Steinberg UR44 v2.1.1

Washboy
Expert

Re: Auria makes Steinberg UR44 loopy!

Post by Washboy » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:59 am

Bump!

@DavePDX, @djjuniorpops, @Rim, anyone? :? :|

DavePDX
Expert

Post by DavePDX » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:58 pm

I just tried this, and it works fine for me. No glitch whatsoever. I even tried changing Audiobus mode and background mode, but it just kept being normal.
We're on different iOS versions, iPads, and UR44 firmware though, so there are lots of variables that may account for it.

iPad 4/64GB iOS v8.1.2 / Auria 1.154 / Steinberg UR44 2.1.0

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:41 pm

@DavePDX: Many thanks for testing. Many variables involved, as you say. I'm pleased to hear the UR44 is working well for you though. I have a support ticket in with Steinberg but, with the holidays, etc., it could take a while for them to respond. Unfortunately, I'm having other issues with the UR44 (involving excessive Hi-Z hum and input 'bleed') so I'm suspicious that I may have a defective unit anyway :|

I'll be grateful if any other UR44 users reading this will perform the test anyway and report their findings and system specs. It would help me and Steinberg narrow down the cause of the symptom. Thanks :)