ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Washboy
Expert

Re: HEELP!!Cant get IRig Pro Keys to play/record in Auria

Post by Washboy » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:24 pm

EDIT: Reply moved to dedicated thread.

Celestine Audio

Re: ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

Post by Celestine Audio » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:51 am

Hello,

One of my friends has some external processors (compressor, EQ, delay) that he wants to use recording with an iPad and asked me if Auria was able to use external processors as inserts.

I do have Auria and use it most of the times I need a real DAW, but since I have no external processors I have no knowledge about using external inserts.

So, the questions are:

1. Can Auria, as a DAW, capable of using hardware inserts?

2. If so, can you provide me with an example of how to do it?

3. If it does not have the capability, can it be added as an IAP?

Thanks!

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:54 am

it's the same like in any desktop DAW. If your audio interface has more than two outputs you can route some of them to outboard gear, and return it to the inputs.

It's not a question about Auria, it's about hardware.

Remnant60

Post by Remnant60 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:48 pm

Higgy wrote:Hi all, this is my first cry for help & I'm sure there will be many others! :)
I have some old recordings from the 60s & 70s of my father singing, some recordings are terrible, they are Instruments miked up with vocals from different rooms.
I was wondering if I could restore them, make them sound a bit better than they are.
I have Auria & about 80% of the plugins.
I'm thinking I could use Auria in some way to accomplish this Mission.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you :)
CoolEdit first, then dump into Auria

A user critique of the program (back then-it's been updated a gagillion times since then...
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1997_ar ... ledit.html

There have been a bunch of updates to this old piece of SW for Windoz, but I used this share-ware version to save live cassette recordings using both boom-boxes and the old Fostex X-15 from back in the '70's and '80's and get them into the digital realm.

Really appreciated the "Silence" mode the program had...got rid of 60 Hz, back-ground noise (if you had a long enough sample)

CoolEdit is great for getting rid of all sorts of scuz that's on the original recording, back in the day I would have to run the recording through it a couple of times because the share-ware version only allowed you to do one thing at a time.

Hope this helps,
Remnant (not an expert, and never will be, but was paid to do this in a previous life)

Cyril777
Expert

Post by Cyril777 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:59 pm

Hi,
my question may seem to be rather dumb for some of you but I'm new to the MAO world on iPad and Auria especially.
Here it is : I have some finished projects on Intua BeatMaker 2, containing multiples differents audio sources : wave and aiff imported audio, iOS apps recordings via Audiobus or IAA... Now I want to transfer these projects into Auria. My question is : is it better to record each BM2 tracks, using the Auria strip channel ( and then take advantage of the PSP strip), or should I import the individuals audio files recorded in BM2, and aplly EQ, compression, FX and so on... after ?
Thank you for your attention,
Best Regards

Cyril777

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:45 pm

Re-recording the tracks into Auria via the channel strip will not gain you anything other than it will take awhile to do the re-recording. Auria's PsP channel stip is only active when the FX light is on and your using one of the three included PsP plugins that are found on the channel strip. If the FX light is off than Auria is just recording audio via the iPad. However once you have imported all the tracks into Auria and then mix those tracks using the PsP channel strip Eq, Comp, Expander, Limiter, then you will be greatly affecting the recorded material but like all pro daws, the raw file still remains the same if you switch off the FX pluged in until you mix down the track or tracks that include the FX and EQ. Rim has confirmed here on the forum that Aurias recording engine is the iPads apple audio engine and that Auria neither adds or subtracts to the quality of the audio until the FX are applied then it's doing it's Auria magic. When recording directly into Auria only the quality of your audio interface will determine the quality of your audio tracks. When importing audio into Auria the interface has no affect on the audio because it's not needed so the quality if the file remains the same as it was in BM2. Cheers and hope this helped.
~~_/)~~~*

Cyril777
Expert

Post by Cyril777 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:38 am

Thank you for your answer. For what I understand, as long as I'm not recording audio into Auria via my audio interface, it's useless to record again the Apps that I already recorded in BM2.
Thank you,
Best regards,

Cyril

BGR
Expert

Questions about Mid/Side

Post by BGR » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:34 am

If you record an instrument in Mid/Side and then decode it in Auria: is it useful to add reverb to it afterwards? I mean, is the stereo information lost after applying reverb?

And, second question about Mid/Side: lets suppose you record a Piano and a Singer in different takes and tracks but both with Mid/Side: can you PAN slightly left or right each of the instruments and still have a nice stereo sound of each instruments? Or, is it just simpler to record Mono if there will be panning of the instruments in the mix? And of course, reverb?

I have to add that I am not a professional producer. Not even an experienced amateur. But I would like to experiment a bit with my sounds.

Thank you!

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:52 am

Why are you recording mid-side in the first place instead of stereo?

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:17 pm

Mid/side is often used to fatten or widen a track so that the track sits across the stereo field. This works great on piano and acoustic guitar and more. In vocals inless your looking for that effect not as much. As for applying reverb on a stereo track well that depends on the reverbs IR field if your using convolution reverb. Rule of thumb is everything that you apply to the raw audio track will affect the recorded audio in some way or another and that includes the stereo field. How much you apply of that effect will determine the final sound. Try to pay attention to your mixing and take the time to re-access the track every time you make a change. Use a comparisson track that has nothing added to it to see where your track is going compared to the original. Cheers and hope this helped.
~~_/)~~~*

Tfmusic-1

Post by Tfmusic-1 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:50 pm

Hello guys,

Newbie to Auria here and I just have a couple of queries:

1 - Maybe I am missing something but is there a simple way to duplicate a whole track rather than having to copy and paste the regions into a new track?

2 - When overdubbing I am hearing what I have previously recorded in one ear (left) rather than both. Am I doing something wrong? On playback I hear through both ears fine. I am recording using mono tracks.

I use an iPad Air with Scarlet 2i2 interface.

Many thanks in advance for your assistance.
Tony

Sixtoro

Re: Problem working BIAS or JamUP on AURIA

Post by Sixtoro » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:47 am

I have problems running BIAS or JamUp when working in AURIA invoked from AUDIOBUS, simply, not all the time, says error in the INPUT.
There is a sequence to assemble these links ?. I have tried several but still giving error, IPAD 2 (16) Free 6 gb.

Sixtoro

Re: ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS (A channel on the other)

Post by Sixtoro » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:52 am

A channel on the other, which makes it ?, pass filtered example, I import a audio track 1, I record a guitar on track 2 (INTERFACE Tascam Ixz). Thank you

KrisBox26

Post by KrisBox26 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:24 am

Hello, all!

I'm fairly new to this so be nice,

What's the best way to master a track? Ive brought all the Fabfilter plugins.

Any help and advice is welcome!

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:48 am

Hi Kris
Welcome

It maybe a good idea to also post a new thread in the main Forum as. There's a good chance it will get more views
8)
There's loads of people that I'm sure will advise you :mrgreen: