new guy with Presonus 18/18 vsl question

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

engravertom

new guy with Presonus 18/18 vsl question

Post by engravertom » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:50 pm

hello all,

very new to all this. Searching youtube, the forum, and the net, i think I have the right gear.

I have the presonus interface, Ipad 4, USB to lightning CCK, powered usb hub, and Auria.

I did try and succesfully connect my one channel Tascam interface through the headphone jack, and run a mic through auria out into my iloud speaker. That worked great at a rehearsal this past week. trying to connect the presonus has not worked so far. The ipad recognizes but rejects the presonus when connected directly to the cck with the presonuns powered by its own power adapter. When i plug into the powered hub, I get no power to the presonus, and no connection to auria.

I tried plugging my desktop keyboard into the hub, to connect the keyboard to the pc. Does not work. Is a bad hub my problem? or am I missing something else? The powered hub is new, a Belkin.

Thanks for any help! Looking forward to using this for recording and live sound.

Tom

Rim
Site Admin

Re: new guy with Presonus 18/18 vsl question

Post by Rim » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:21 pm

It's just a matter of plugging the presonus into a powered hub, then the powered hub into the CCK and to the iPad. The presonus must also be powered by its own power supply.

Rim

engravertom

Post by engravertom » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:35 pm

Thanks, just tried that, plugging into the powered hub with the interface powered up on its own. Still does not work. I am going on the premise that the powered hub is not working.

engravertom

Post by engravertom » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:53 pm

Still not able to get this working. I had the hub checked, the store said it is fine. I connected the interface to a laptop through the hub, and that worked fine too. Are there some settings on my iPad ( ipad 4) that I might need to change?

Mystified right now.

Thanks for any help.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:15 pm

Are you getting a message from iOS telling you that the interface is incompatible? What exactly is it doing?

Rim

engravertom

Post by engravertom » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:27 pm

I get no message at all. When I connect the usb from the interface directly into the CCK, I get the " Presonus 18/18 VSL requires too much power". When I connect through the hub, ( belkin powered USB hub) it doesn't react at all. The blue INT still shows, and no other message appears. I never get the USB indicator, or the ability to assign inputs.

Thanks for your efforts to help!

If I have to, I may just get another interface. I need at least 2 mics and 2 instruments for live sound. I don't mind recording only 1 or 2 channels at a time.

Or maybe I should just get a small mixer, and a small interface, and keep live sound and recording separate.

Thanks again!

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:48 pm

Are you using a genuine Apple CCK? Many others have been known to cause problems. Just a thought :)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:28 pm

We've used that exact interface a lot here, and actually recorded the Approach demo song using it. Like Washboy said, make sure you're using a real Apple CCK. Also, make sure you power your hub itself. Both the hub and the Presonus must be powered.

Also, your hub might be defective/incompatible with iPad, or a bad USB cable.

Rim

engravertom

Post by engravertom » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:48 pm

Thanks again,

It is an Apple CCK.

I will try another hub, and try different cables too.

want to make this work.

:)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:59 am

Also, just to be complete, I wanted to describe the routing: The hub will usually have 5 device ports and one host port. You plug the Presonus interface into one of the 5 device ports. Then you plug the CCK into the host port, then the CCK into the iPad. Both the hub and the Presonus must have its own power supply plugged it. This is important, because some hubs don't come with a power supply, and these sometimes have problems.

Also, it's important to wait at least 30 seconds or so for the iPad to recognize the interface. it's not instantaneous.

Rebooting the iPad might help as well.

Rim

engravertom

Post by engravertom » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:12 pm

Thank you so much!

I tried the procedures you suggested with the Belkin, still did not work. Tried a different Usb cable, no go. Tried a different hub I purchased tonight, and it connected right up! The new hub is a j5create 4 port mini hub, powered. Seems a bit better built than the Belkin. The j5 has an aluminum housing anyway, and just seems to be crisper in the details.

No time to record anything tonight, but I am a happier camper!

Thanks again for all your help!

engravertom

Post by engravertom » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:12 pm

Got the hub at Best Buy for 24.99

Tom

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:20 pm

Glad to hear!

Rim

mididrum
Expert

Post by mididrum » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:59 pm

engravertom wrote:Got the hub at Best Buy for 24.99

Tom
DO use USB 2 HUB....does not need neither powering it !
anitech pandora (5 $ !!!) works PERFECT including adding ALSO another keyboard ( xkey) to the VSL midi already in use!
just check Auria Midi settings ....
TRICKY ;
boot on :off the ADSL...wait a few seconds...now working...( happens MANY times if Auria is not set BACKGROUND ON)
use a decent buffer (126/ 256 samples Ipad Air 2/1 or 526 samples ipad 4 ...more OLD...? forget using VSL...
SET AURIA MATRIX OUT 1/2 ='master trimmer and 1/2 adsl OUTPUT
3-8 = VSL OUT 3-8
7/8 = headphones VSL trimmer
9/10= SDIF
11/16 = ADAT
SAME for MATRIX IN : set the recording track TO the ins you can SEE modulating on Auria Matrix in ( same 1-16 = INS )
While ALESIS studio stereo (!) is PERFECT, Presonus istudio duo nice...VSL Is the ONLY PRO solution ( until now)
Single CON : VSL does not charge iPad....Akesis DOES
So mastering with alesis the mixing / VSTI with VSL is usefull while BOTH AURIA's (2) iPADS will be sync start by Auria wifi!

if LOOSING USB ( sync conbection!!!) BOOT in./ out AURIA, then Boot in/out VSL then...check AURIA Matrix in/out....
IT DOES WORK VERY fine...BUT BORING settings.....while ?crash has NO DATA loss into AURIA ( amazing)
and compared to PC ...1 minute for All boots is a dream
mightbe needed if desesperating crash to switch on/off reboot iPAD...no MATTER...you get ALL datas/ tracks quickly BACK