Scarlett 18i8 Auria setup

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

mtingle
Expert

Scarlett 18i8 Auria setup

Post by mtingle » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:21 pm

how do I get the headphones outputs on the focusrite scarlett18i8 to work?

I've got the scarlett mixcontrol installed on my mac and updated the firmware on the unit.

Seems like it should be straight forward but can't get any sound from Auria out of the scarlett headphones. Is there some settings in either Auria or the mixcontrol that need to be made?

Any help greatly appreciated

p.s. I've read all the scarlett threads and tried all the different help advice but to no avail

p.p.s. I should posted this in interfaces

ipad air 2. latest Auria build.

G-master G
Expert

Re: Scarlett 18i8 Auria setup

Post by G-master G » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:03 am

1. Check that you have sound coming from your monitor speakers (if you have some). By doing this you can confirm that it is just a Mix Control issue and not something to do with the iPad itself.

2. In Mix Control you have 3 routing options:
Monitor Output 1 & 2
Headphone L & R
SPDIF Output 1 & 2

Make sure that you select Mix 1 (L) for Headphone L and Mix 1 (R) for Headphone R

3. Check that the fader for Mix 1 which is the extreme right fader in Mix Control is pushed up and that it is registering a signal.

4. Check that the headphone buttons in the monitor section of the Mix Control (bottom right corner to the right of the Device Status Section) are enabled

5. Check that the headphone volume on your interface isn't turned down.

6. Check that your headphones are working.

Those are some checks that you can do to try and narrow the source of the problem.

Cheers

Grant

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:59 am

Thanks for the reply Grant.

Stuck at point 1.

ok, with a fresh project default Auria settings I import a stereo sample up to generate some sounds.

The scarlett is plugged in and has the green USB light.

Press play, signal on Auria master outs but nothing from the main outputs on the scarlett.

I check the output matrix and it's showing the master is allocated to 1+2.

should there be some setting on the scarlett mixcontrol that need to be set too?

(I have some powered speaker that have been proven to work with scarlett 1+2 main out when plugged into the mac)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:30 am

Check the volume buttons on the iPad itself. These are context-sensitive, so make sure your interface is plugged in, the USB indicator is on in Auria, then adjust the volume buttons on the side of your iPad.

Rim

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:56 am

When the Scarlett is plugged in the iPad headphone buttons are inoperative. The sounds should come out the Scarlett's headphone outputs. The usb icon is showing in auria info panel.

Can't get any of the outputs to work with auria.

Tried with Mac so they do work.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:03 am

The volume buttons on the side of the iPad typically control the USB main output when a USB device is plugged into the iPad, and they control the iPad headphone jack when a USB device is not plugged in. If that doesn't do it, it might be something in MixControl which another user might be able to help with.

Rim

MikeDee
Expert

Post by MikeDee » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:51 pm

Not sure whether the 18i8 operates similarly to the 8i6 (which I have), where the headphones output is ganged to Outputs 3 and 4. You can route the audio there, along with 1 and 2 (your main out).

Worth trying....

Mike

djjuniorpops
Expert

Post by djjuniorpops » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:45 am

Had one of those interface, to much problems,so I returned it and got the UR 44, it was the best
choice I made. Since I did that the UR 44 is problem free and the Dsp for iPad is also a plus.

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:57 pm

Thanks for all the replies.

ok so I've simplified the issue so as to work out what's going on.

if I plug the scarlett into the mac and play a song on itunes it comes out of the main outputs (1+2)

when I plug the scarlett into the ipad and play a song in itunes I get nothing.

I've tried all the combinations of 'mix' and 'daw' for the main output settings in the mixcontrol but still not a peep of sound coming from the scarlett when plugged into the ipad.

My conclusion is:

I'm either very unluck and brought the unit at a time when either iOS or focusrite are fixing a bug OR, I'm overlooking something obvious.

The saving grace for this unit is the inputs are working very well and I recorded some lovely drums today, so nothing wrong with the inputs. I would REALLY like to get this to work properly, but it seems like it's back to the shop with it unless someone from focusrite can shine a light on this critical issue.

p.s. the volune control on the ipad is definitely made inoperative when the scarlett is plugged in.

=======
UPDATE:

just plugged the scarlett into my iphone 5s running iOS 8.1.1 and the main out 1+2 work just fine.

also just tried an ipad 4 running iOS 8.1.0 and this works fine.

Also tried iOS 7.2.1 iPad air 1 and it works fine.

So is this an issue with just the ipad air 2 running 8.1.1?

I tried powering down the air2 and rebooting but still no joy.

MikeDee
Expert

Post by MikeDee » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:39 pm

Sanity check: In the Settings for this iPad, did you enable the Microphone for Auria?

Mike

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:46 pm

MikeDee wrote:Sanity check: In the Settings for this iPad, did you enable the Microphone for Auria?

Mike
Hi Mike, thanks for the reply. I've taken auria out of the equation for the moment. I can't even get any sound output from the unit even with iTunes.

Seems like it's to do with iOS 8.1.1 and the iPad air 2 as other iPads I have are working fine with the Scarlett (see my last post).

G-master G
Expert

Post by G-master G » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:53 pm

Another one that occurred to me.

Are you using the iPad settings for mix control that you download from the focusrite web-site? I use these just to make sure I am doing what Focusrite say is the best way for my scarlett to work with the iPad. However, the default sample rate is 48kHz which means that nothing else that generates sound in the iPad (iTunes, YouTube) will work because they run at 44.1 kHz.

Another thing that I noticed was that when I finished my mobile recording project on Saturday (all recorded at 48kHz) I tried to listen back to the session in Auria on headphones but got no sound. I figured it was a sample rate issue.

But then after powering down the iPad and giving it a good night's sleep it worked the next day.

Hope that you make some progress in solving your problem.

Cheers

Grant

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:40 am

Good news regarding this issue. I erased my iPad Air 1 of all content and restored it back to factory settings running 8.1.1 And the Scarlett now works out of the headphones, hurrah!

I'm going to presume that if I do the same to my iPad Air 2 it will work. Fingers crossed but it's looking like it was an issue with my iPad 2's software. I wonder what app or setting caused the conflict, I guess ill ever know.

Thanks for all the help and advice, it is appreciated :)

eustressor
Expert

Post by eustressor » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:56 pm

@mtingle Did the shave and start over approach work for your iPad 2? Just curious as I'm looking into getting the 18i8 myself ... Cheers!

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:44 am

yes, after I wiped all the content and started again the ipad air 2 did indeed work correctly with the scarlett 18i8.

I did down load and use the beta firmware for the scarlett though as this enables hardware state saving.