SOLVED - iPad Air 2 CPU warning with CPU at only 70%

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

mtingle
Expert

Re: iPad Air 2 crashing. CPU only at 70%

Post by mtingle » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:57 am

lets hope its a software issue with iOS8.

Great news on getting a patch for this Rim, it's going to make an upgrading to an ipad air 2 for working with large projects worthwhile.

sELF
Expert

Post by sELF » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:00 pm

I was away from Auria for a few days. But, now, I'm back, & I've found the situation to be the same, even after the Auria update, on the iPad Air 2.

Basically the issue is as before: One stereo track: With 4 Fabfilter plugs running & some Oversampling: Typically 2 or 4 x on the Pro MB. And Max latency on my Pro Q. Possibly some Oversampling on the Pro L to finish , depending on the preset being used :)

If I play the track with the plug interfaces hidden, then I am okay at 75% CPU Max. But, within a few seconds of opening the Pro L or Pro MB interface to adjust something, and even before I touch the screen: Simply by opening the interface, the CPU Max reaches 96% ++

A graphics issue I believe. As when I open the same tracks in the iPad Air, although processing power is down: The CPU Max figure is consistent, more or less: Regardless of whether I have a Fabfilter plug interface open or not...But, on the iPad Air 2, just opening the plug interface costs me a 20%+ increase in CPU usage!

In fact with the track not playing, but on the mixer page, with say the Pro L open: Just by tapping repeatedly in the blank space in Pro L, I can get the CPU to rise from say 40% to 130%! I'm not touching any actual control in Auria. Simply touching the iPad Air 2 screen :o

After after hitting the CPU spike, Auria is often locked up. I have to quit then re-open. I have found that this is happening when I use my Apogee One (via a CCK & USB Hub). If I monitor via the headphone socket: Clicking OK gets me going again. I used to have the same locking up issue with my Behringer UCA202. I always have the Auria mixer set to 64 bit

So, currently, I'm losing some of that 40% quoted CPU improvement: Air2 from Air. Due to the graphics issue, I can only boost the processing by around 20%.

My current workaround, in the Air 2, is to turn off Oversampling whilst adjusting parameters & playing the track. Then I seem to be able to set things to max CPU at 110% ++, for the 'mixdown' to 24 bit. (Pro Q at max latency, Pro MB & Pro L at 4 x Oversampling. Plus a Pro C earlier in the chain, sometimes.) And the sound really benefits from that Oversampling it seems.

This appears to be an iPad Air 2 issue. And not linked to my tracks. I am seeing the CPU jump around frequently whilst playing a track. From 40 0r 50%, suddenly up to 110% :o

I also sent a note to Fabfilter to say that the meter clipping can barely be double tapped clear, till the CPU usage drops. Or the track stops: On the Pro MB & L level meters. Should I let them know about the graphics issue (?)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:07 am

This is an Apple issue, and they are aware of it. Hopefully we'll get a fix soon. In the mean time, I've got a more aggressive workaround in place for the next update.

I wasn't aware that this happens in Fabfilter plugins, so I just emailed them to ask it they use the same type of scrollview control in their plugins If so, they'll apply the same workaround.

I'll keep you posted.

Rim

sELF
Expert

Post by sELF » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:23 am

Thanks Rim.
The most bizarre thing is seeing the CPU Meter jump around without anything happening, basically...
On the plus side, I've learnt that 4 x Oversampling on Pro L & MB in mixdown to 24bit dithered, creates wonderful results!
Stunning :D

Sparkle
Expert

Post by Sparkle » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:11 pm

Longtime user/lurker ,finally registered to say ,whilst I appreciate all your work,
I'm disappointed you didnt know about the Fabfilter graphics problem as I emailed support about this 9 days ago
( included below) .

However latest news is brand new update 8.1.1 does NOT solve fabfilter graphics overload ,
cpu only 30 but making graphic adjustments , including turning knobs sends spikes and cpu overload message .(ipad air2 64 no other apps in background,no oversampling 4096 buffer)

and also seems to have BROKEN UN-FREEZE button !

Un-freeze button no longer responds to tapping , all other buttons seem to work fine .WTF?

Previously sent email :

Auria 1.154 cpu problems still , Fabfilter most culpable
7 Nov 2014 11.55

Thanks for your speedy update to stop scroll/crash issue on Air2.
However, I'm still getting frequent cpu overload messages on Air2/64Gb,
Strangely with the cpu meter averaging only 30
(no other apps in background,most tracks frozen,no oversampling),
then a seeming spike stops the project ...even during a repeating 16 bar loop so when nothing new added to timeline.
Most often it is happening when using Fab filter plugins , and particularly when graphics are open & being adjusted .
Hopefully it's a graphics issue with the A8X gpu ,which can be easily fixed,
And the full power of the tricore cpu can then be unleashed.

May I also repeat a Feature Request I added to a previous crash report ;
That we can switch the channel strip default dynamics section to after the first FX slot
So the dynamics can still be used with IAA instruments .At the moment it seems using IAA instruments negates use of default dynamics because they are upstream .

I would also ask for Return tracks/mixer strips/dynamics & fx for Aux1&2 for better processing/sidechaining/mixdown/automation of their signal.

Thanks for all you work .

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:25 pm

Sparkle wrote: May I also repeat a Feature Request I added to a previous crash report ;
That we can switch the channel strip default dynamics section to after the first FX slot
So the dynamics can still be used with IAA instruments .At the moment it seems using IAA instruments negates use of default dynamics because they are upstream .

I would also ask for Return tracks/mixer strips/dynamics & fx for Aux1&2 for better processing/sidechaining/mixdown/automation of their signal.

Thanks for all you work .
+1 for more control of signal flow in general inside the mixer, aux's and plugin positioning.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:53 pm

Thanks guys, I'm in communication with the Apple Core Audio team about these issues, and will report back when I learn something.

Rim

sELF
Expert

Post by sELF » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:06 pm

The Fabfilter graphic issue seems to happen mostly in Mixer view, as previously stated. So, because of this & other reasoning: Is there a way to bring up the Master FX Page, when in Waveform edit view? I have to frequently return to the mixer page just to access a detail in a FF Master Plug :wink:
And, any way to overcome Auria not resetting after hitting OK, when I have my sound card connected?
Thanks.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:09 pm

It shouldn't make a difference which page is open, the bug seems to be present in any scrollview control (including when plugins use one).

I wasn't aware of the issues you're having with the audio interface. I'll add that to my list to investigate.

Rim

sELF
Expert

Post by sELF » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:22 pm

Well...Pro L or Pro MB open on the master channel. One track project. When I set one of the plugs to 4x Oversampling, with its screen visible, Auria locks within seconds in Mixer view. But the track plays fine in the Waveform view? Apogee One (Mac), by the way...

Here is mtingle's previous post, similar finding:

I can get it to bring up the CPU maxed out dialogue box very easily on the mixer window, just scrolling from left to right while the track is playing trips it. I've not been able to make it happen while in the edit window while playing. I've tried scrolling around, making edits to regions, click on the fx buton for a track, muting regions etc, etc.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:35 pm

In my testing, I can get the CPU to max out in any screen.

Rim

sELF
Expert

Post by sELF » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:40 pm

Understood Rim :( But, for me (iPad Air 2), this happens without touching the screen in Mixer Mode. But, things play fine, up to a point in Waveform/Edit...

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:00 am

Yes, I've seen that as well. Two things I've noticed:

1. Moving any scrollview control on an iPad Air 2 causes the CPU usage to go up in the audio thread
2. CPU usage tends to spike all on its own if left alone for a while on the Air 2. This effect is much smaller than the first.

Rim

sELF
Expert

Post by sELF » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:56 pm

This is meaning that mastering is more straightforward on my Air 1 than Air 2 :|
I keep having to quit and restart Auria to finish adjusting a mix with Pro MB, C ,Q & L in it!
Do FabFilter know about these issues? Apple do, yes? I was hoping for improvement in the iOS 8.1.1 update but...
Hmmm, the Air 2 is proving an extra hurdle to overcome as well as iOS 8 :|
As if you weren't busy enough!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:44 pm

I've let FabFilter know abut this, but it's really an Apple issue. Most other apps don't see this issue because it only becomes a problem when you use more than 50% of the CPU (that's rare for most apps on an Air 2).

Hopefully we'll get an answer from Apple soon.

Rim