Mp3 mixdown option MIA

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

garyshell
Expert

Mp3 mixdown option MIA

Post by garyshell » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:19 pm

I don't see an option to mixdown to Mp3 at all, I see folks talking about that option in various messages here.

Also I can't seems to get an upload to Dropbox to function at all, I have plenty of space in my Dropbox account, over 28 gigs. The mixdown works, then the upload begins and a few minutes later I get a dialog saying an error has occurred. No specifics of what the error is just a useless generic error.

I'm trying to mixdown and export a single stereo track that is about an hour long.

Gary a

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Mp3 mixdown option MIA

Post by Rim » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:17 pm

MP3 export was removed a while ago due to licensing issues.

As far as dropbox, it's really important to have a solid internet connection, especially for a large mixdown. Dropbox will reject the upload if there are too many retries, and this is common if the internet connection is less than perfect. I suggest moving closer to the wifi router. Another option is to copy the mixdown to a computer using a free program called iFunBox.

Rim

garyshell
Expert

Post by garyshell » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:25 pm

My connection is rock solid, I can export an m4a file to Dropbox with no issue and it takes much longer than it takes for the error to appear when I try to export a wav file via Dropbox. What about my mp3 question? It doesn't show as an option in the mixdown.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:27 pm

MP3 export was removed a while ago due to licensing issues.

Rim

garyshell
Expert

Post by garyshell » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:19 pm

I don't have a Mac so as I understand it the ifunbox option is not available to me. If I mixdown to wav and have export set to off where might I be able to find the resulting wave file? and how can I get to if via my windows pc.

It's odd that an m4a export to Dropbox works fine and takes about ten minutes to upload, but a wav export consistently fails in less than two minutes. I am VERY skeptical of the connection explanation. It never fails with an m4a export and always fails in significantly less time with a wav export. The lack of real diagnostic info is hampering getting to the bottom of this.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:48 am

There is a Windows version of ifunbox.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:54 am

There is a windows version of iFunBox available. There's also another app called iExplorer. iTunes also works for files (but doesn't support folders).

I've done many tests with Dropbox uploads, and can tell you that the reliability is entirely dependent on the connection. One missed packet and it will fail. This is unfortunately the way dropbox designed their uploader. There's a new version of their SDK available now which supposedly has a more robust uploader, but I haven't had a chance to integrate it yet. As far as dropbox is concerned, there's no difference between an M4A file and a WAV file. It the uploader, it's all just data, so there shouldn't be any difference between uploading the two. In my tests, the only reason M4A failed less often is because the files are typically a lot smaller than WAV files, so the chances of success are greater. Auria doesn't do anything differently when uploading WAVs vs M4As. It simply sends the data off to the dropbox upload code.

Rim

garyshell
Expert

Post by garyshell » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:31 am

Rim wrote:As far as dropbox is concerned, there's no difference between an M4A file and a WAV file. It the uploader, it's all just data, so there shouldn't be any difference between uploading the two. In my tests, the only reason M4A failed less often is because the files are typically a lot smaller than WAV files, so the chances of success are greater. Auria doesn't do anything differently when uploading WAVs vs M4As. It simply sends the data off to the dropbox upload code.

Rim
I get that, but my connection is rock solid. And the thing is I tried M4A files several times and every one of them uploaded to DropBox just fine, taking in excess of five minutes each time (that timing starts after the completion of the conversion to M4A). But exporting to DropBox as a wav file consistently (as in every single time) throws the error dialog after just over a minute. Again these results are consistent with both forms. I'm a developer too, and think there is something else in play here. If it were a connection issue I would expect some failures in the M4A upload and some variance in how long it takes for the WAV export to error out. I'm more than willing to provide some diagnostic data if it would help you sort this out. But with the cloistered design of iOS, I'm not sure if any such diagnostics are even available. Does Auria create any sort of log that might be of help to you?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:49 pm

Gary,

I believe you, I just can't explain it. I looked at the code again, and Auria doesn't do a single thing differently when uploading WAV vs M4A. Perhaps dropbox does further downstream. There are no logs that I know of for debugging a dropbox connection once it's left the app.

Rim

thinds
Expert

Post by thinds » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:49 pm

If I may just chime in and say that I get the same issues with Dropbox and AudioShare with wav's. No problems with other formats, just wav's. I generally find that Auria is more reliable though. This leads me to think of it as a Dropbox issue and not AudioShare or Auria.

garyshell
Expert

Post by garyshell » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:14 pm

thinds wrote:If I may just chime in and say that I get the same issues with Dropbox and AudioShare with wav's. No problems with other formats, just wav's. I generally find that Auria is more reliable though. This leads me to think of it as a Dropbox issue and not AudioShare or Auria.
That's an interesting turn. I'll dig around some other development forums looking for clues regarding Dropbox and WAV files.

Gary

garyshell
Expert

Post by garyshell » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:33 am

Rim,

I grabbed a copy of iFunBox, thanks for that tip. Using it I was able to xfer the wav files from my iPad to my PC. But I noticed something. There were three instances of the wav file for my project, the last two with a numeric suffix added. Why would that be? That implies that over time if I had mixed down the project multiple times there would be a lot of wasted space. And since these files don't appear to be exposed in the Auria interface how would they be cleaned up? Are they deleted when the parent project is deleted? Would I be able to see them and manage them via the import menu item?

Thanks,
Gary

Navpack
Expert

Post by Navpack » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:29 am

Hi Gary. Yes, every time there is an attempt to mixdown and upload to DB from Auria, even if it times out, there is a new file in Auria, which to me is good as I could have changed something with each export but forgotten to change the name of the file. If you go to the Import Audio dialog you should see those and be able to clean up the files you don't want to keep.

As far as uploading to DB straight from Auria, my experience has been the large file sizes drop out at a certain point transferring right from the interface. It's been a while, but seemed to be an issue with Dropbox and not Auria. I have used iFunBox on both Windows and Mac and each does the job nicely. For me, 've been attempting to do as much as possible on just and iPad w/no PC support, and ended up putting in a home NAS which has iOS support to move larger files around. DB is great for many things but moving larger files IMO isn't one of their strong points.

Best,
Phil.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:57 am

If you enable Auto Project Cleanup in the settings, Auria will delete those extra files for you every time you load a project.

Rim

garyshell
Expert

Post by garyshell » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:18 am

Thanks Rim and Paul. I did use ifunbox and that solved the issues with transfer of the large files. I also foundthat the iimport dialog was the key to exposing a rudimentary file manager that allows for easy clean-up.

Gary