IPad Air 2 Ram?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Tarekith
Expert

Re: IPad Air 2 Ram?

Post by Tarekith » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:47 pm

Ok, I'll report back here then once it's all set up.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:22 pm

Tarekith wrote:Ok, I'll report back here then once it's all set up.
Thanks, in advance.

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:02 pm

Just got it a little bit ago, and you're right, the new speakers do sound bad. But, then again so did all the other ones, so props to Apple for continuing the trend LOL.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:52 pm

Thanks for checking, @Tarekith. I guess it's not easy to quantify degrees of 'bad' :lol:. I got the impression the Air2 may be the worst yet, in this respect - by an order of magnitude! Then again, perhaps the particular unit I checked in the store was defective. I do hope that's the case. I'm an iPad3 owner, so I'm reluctant to opt for what may be another lemon that is superseded in 7 months time! :lol:

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:58 pm

Yeah, sorry I couldn't be more helpful. I honestly never really paid attention to the speaker sound on any of my iPads, I only use it for the odd movie and usually in a place where sound quality can't be judged anyway.

instinctive
Expert

Post by instinctive » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:21 pm

It's pretty simple really -- the smaller the device, the suckier the sound. And the battery life. And the durability. Only Steve knows why Apple makes everything thinner instead of ... better.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:24 pm

Thanks, Erik. The fact that you don't seem to consider the Air2's speakers to be unacceptably bad makes me suspect a defective unit in-store. I'll try again at another store :wink:

The much more important issue now is how much more can be achieved in Auria, with the extra RAM and the A8X. I look forward to your, Rim's and anyone else's experiences over the coming days/weeks.

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:58 am

I think it just depends on what you're trying to listen to and how loud it is too. Bass heavy music played more than half way on the volume slider certainly distorts into all kinds of nastiness, but that's what I would expect in tiny speakers too.

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:09 pm

So what about the Ram Performance with Auria?Is there a significant difference?No"low memory"warnings anymore?Or at least not that quick? :wink:
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:58 pm

I didn't do any specific tests on my Air 1 for comparison purposes, but it definitely felt like I could load more synths without running into issues. That said, I did still get the low memory warning a couple times while working on a trck last night. Nave was the main culprit, again.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:07 am

@Tarekith, Rim, and anyone else who has the Air 2, is iPad Air 2 a significant upgrade from the Air? I thought I'd be seeing glowing reviews, but there's been more talk about the speakers, about which I couldn't care less, than performance. I'm most interested in knowing if there is a significant difference in the number of tracks and plugins. Do you find yourself having to freeze fewer tracks, etc.? Thanks, in advance, for any thoughts on this

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:18 am

Hi Supernorton, in all my tests so far the iPad Air 2 is not a significant upgrade from the iPad Air. In my Turorial videos on the iPad Air 1 performance that I released last year on my youtube channel demonstrated 6 fabfilter Saturn plugins at the same time set to sequence 1 preset. In that same test on the iPad Air 2, the Air 2 failed the test. As far as more plugins without freezing, I find no difference or very little difference. In some cases in my tests the Air 2 failed miserably. The extra ram seems to make little difference and this may be because developers have not taken advantage of the extra ram. There are also multiple spikes in the CPU durring recording and playback. I loaded all my projects into the Air 2 that had been created in the Air 1 and the performance was about the same maybe even worse. I find that the ram falls very quickly on the Air 2 and never recovers while the Air 1 seems to recover it's ram whenever it can. I am for the first time dissapointed in the newest iPad and it reminds me of the iPad 3 and all it's problems. My favourite so far has been the iPad 4 with iOS 6. In that setup Auria ran with 699 mgs free ram. Today the app hasn't changed much but inspite of all the iPad upgrades Auria is running less efficient than before. I think it's all an iOS 8 issue but thats just my opinion. Hope this info is more direct and helpful to your needs. Cheers.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:35 am

There appears to be an issue with the Air 2 which causes CPU spikes. I'm communicating with Apple to try to get to the bottom of it. It's most significant when you use a scrollview control like the mixer or editor.

Edit: This has now been fixed by Apple in iOS 8.3

Rim

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:52 am

Anthony Alves wrote:Hi Supernorton, in all my tests so far the iPad Air 2 is not a significant upgrade from the iPad Air. In my Turorial videos on the iPad Air 1 performance that I released last year on my youtube channel demonstrated 6 fabfilter Saturn plugins at the same time set to sequence 1 preset. In that same test on the iPad Air 2, the Air 2 failed the test. As far as more plugins without freezing, I find no difference or very little difference. In some cases in my tests the Air 2 failed miserably. The extra ram seems to make little difference and this may be because developers have not taken advantage of the extra ram. There are also multiple spikes in the CPU durring recording and playback. I loaded all my projects into the Air 2 that had been created in the Air 1 and the performance was about the same maybe even worse. I find that the ram falls very quickly on the Air 2 and never recovers while the Air 1 seems to recover it's ram whenever it can. I am for the first time dissapointed in the newest iPad and it reminds me of the iPad 3 and all it's problems. My favourite so far has been the iPad 4 with iOS 6. In that setup Auria ran with 699 mgs free ram. Today the app hasn't changed much but inspite of all the iPad upgrades Auria is running less efficient than before. I think it's all an iOS 8 issue but thats just my opinion. Hope this info is more direct and helpful to your needs. Cheers.
Thank you Anthony. Definitely an enlightening post. I wish we knew if it was a hardware issue or not. If it's iOS, there should be a fix. I guess I may have to stay on my iPad 2 running iOS 7.1.2 and buy a lap top instead of a new iPad. I'm certainly not investing in an iPad and an operating system that doesn't work. Maybe an Air 1 is a better way to go? Just don't know. I still have a few months to wait before upgrading or going in another direction, so I'll sit tight until then. Thanks again. I really hope this gets sorted out for everyone.

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:25 am

Anthony Alves wrote:Hi Supernorton, in all my tests so far the iPad Air 2 is not a significant upgrade from the iPad Air. In my Turorial videos on the iPad Air 1 performance that I released last year on my youtube channel demonstrated 6 fabfilter Saturn plugins at the same time set to sequence 1 preset. In that same test on the iPad Air 2, the Air 2 failed the test. As far as more plugins without freezing, I find no difference or very little difference. In some cases in my tests the Air 2 failed miserably. The extra ram seems to make little difference and this may be because developers have not taken advantage of the extra ram. There are also multiple spikes in the CPU durring recording and playback. I loaded all my projects into the Air 2 that had been created in the Air 1 and the performance was about the same maybe even worse. I find that the ram falls very quickly on the Air 2 and never recovers while the Air 1 seems to recover it's ram whenever it can. I am for the first time dissapointed in the newest iPad and it reminds me of the iPad 3 and all it's problems. My favourite so far has been the iPad 4 with iOS 6. In that setup Auria ran with 699 mgs free ram. Today the app hasn't changed much but inspite of all the iPad upgrades Auria is running less efficient than before. I think it's all an iOS 8 issue but thats just my opinion. Hope this info is more direct and helpful to your needs. Cheers.
wow,that sounds not good.But i cannot say that i have the same experience.Roundabout 30% more CPU power (third core jobless unfortunately) and i definitely enjoy the 2GB Ram,even in Auria.I couldn't really stress my Air 2 yet but it seems that everything works as expected.I'm quite happy with my purchase.

Did you restore your iPad from an existing backup?This time i took the time and installed everything manually to have the "cleanest"possible system.
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX