Charging the ipad while using sound card

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

JamStreet

Charging the ipad while using sound card

Post by JamStreet » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:38 pm

Auria is a very nice DAW, but I hate having to stop recording with my Lexicon Omega Sound card, so I can charge the ipad back up. I know it's an Apple issue, not Auria. When using Auria, the battery life drops so fast, then I have to plug it in, and then plug the headphone connection on the ipad to my mixing console, so I can listen to the music that I just recorded, and no more recording till my ipad charges back up. Bummer!! Is there a way to use the sound card and charge the ipad simultainously? :?: jamStreet.

Phil999
Expert

Re: Charging the ipad while using sound card

Post by Phil999 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:17 pm

there is no solution I'm afraid.

There are interfaces that can power the iPad at the same time, but I guess this is not really an option for you because you already have a working interface. They usually have less i/o options anyway.

Probably your iPad battery's performance has diminished already. Instead of 10h battery life there is maybe only a couple of hours battery life.

What I can recommend is the Apogee Duet 2. I've been using it since about a year, and it performs good. 2 inputs only. The Apogee Quartet has 4 inputs.

miguelmarcos
Expert

Post by miguelmarcos » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:24 pm

Wouldn't a powered USB hub reduce the power the Omega draws from an iPad?

TedBPhx
Expert

Post by TedBPhx » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:18 pm

Make sure your screen brightness is down to as low as you can stand it. That tends to be the biggest drain on the battery.

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:09 pm

You need an MFi (made for iOS) interface. There are only a few. Apogee One, Duet and Quartet (the latest versions of each - make sure you get the "for Mac and iPad" versions), and the Focusrite iTrack Dock (I think the iTrack Solo may also be MFi, but I'm not certain).
The Apogee Duet and Quartet also have a USB midi input so you can plug a keyboard into it.

Some MFi interfaces are not suitable - Alesis io Dock is 30 pin connector only. Mackie DL1608 only records 2 channels at once, Sonoma Guitar Jack doesn't have a power input, (I think the Apogee MiC also has no power input). The Avid interfaces also don't charge the iPad for some strange reason.

Dominic

miguelmarcos
Expert

Post by miguelmarcos » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:33 pm

The iConnect+ devices charge the iPad while piping MIDI and audio in and out.