Some questions for guitar/bass players recording with Auria

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Mucci

Some questions for guitar/bass players recording with Auria

Post by Mucci » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:53 am

Hello everyone,

First post here… I'm fairly new to iOS recording and so far really enjoying the capabilities. I use Auria as my main DAW, but still working on some issues which I hope some of you may help. So here are my questions. Sorry if they were covered before.

1. I am using iPad4 32 GB running on latest iOs7. I mostly record real guitars and basses, then add keyboards and drums with a bunch of apps. I use Apogee One (iOS compatible version) to record my guitars. So, which core audio mode should I choose for best performance and least latency according to this setup?

2. I’m looking for advice on the most effective way to record guitars in Auria. By effective, I mean the least possible latency. I have JamUp and Bias. I really like them as standalone apps. But I get some latency when recording either through Audiobus to Auria or as IAA. Maybe it’s my fault in settings. But is a plugin version of an amp simulation app is less of a resource hog?

3. I also read nice reviews of TM’s Overload as well. Does anyone prefer or suggest Overloud over Bias/JamUp combination?

Sorry for the long post and many many thanks,

Jus
Expert

Re: Some questions for guitar/bass players recording with Au

Post by Jus » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:27 pm

I recommend Overloud big time I've been playing guitar since I were 10
I'm 40+ yrs now and this is the only app that makes me feel like I'm actually playing through an amp
It's amazing for the money It's a best buy

If I were to sum up overloud
Top alrounder from cleans to distortion
The cabs I only use the 2x12's the others don't sound quite right the 2x12's have a good balance
The mics sound from warm to twangy
If you have an Ibanez les Paul or Strat they all sound great through Overloud

Just buy it lol :mrgreen:

Latency I have terrible latency using Audiobus

I'm pretty sure there is a slight bit(if at all) of latency with overloud Which I don't notice personally
But it's nothing like Audiobus ;)

Lastly
Using overloud.
Then the PSP delay free in Auria for delay. Awesome with guitar also you can use the PSP delay twice in the effects slot the second time i use it I use the delay as a stereo enhancer
Then for reverb I use the Ad480 it's the best reverb to use with a guitar app (for me) which is working like a charm in IAA iOS 7
Cheers

Edit: one thing Overloud has no setup for bass ATM

DerekBuddemeyer
Expert

Post by DerekBuddemeyer » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:40 pm

I absolutely love Overloud THM....I've posted my recording setups in some other posts that you can download as projects via Dropbox. I use Overloud in all my videos and recordings...it's the best for what I need to do. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e0uDeMXFgbg
I'm just a shy guy with a big pick...

Mucci

Post by Mucci » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:16 am

Thanks for the reccomendation Jus.
And Derek you've got a hell of a tone there. And very nice playing too.
Convinced enough already. I think I'll get Overloud.

DerekBuddemeyer
Expert

Post by DerekBuddemeyer » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:32 am

Mucci wrote:Thanks for the reccomendation Jus.
And Derek you've got a hell of a tone there. And very nice playing too.
Convinced enough already. I think I'll get Overloud.
Thanks! Here's a link to my rig setup...just load this project and you'll have an idea how I run things in here.... Be sure to enable BOTH guitar tracks when playing and recording as they are left and right and use different voicings
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ntpzwr96bdyw ... W9Zia?dl=0
I'm just a shy guy with a big pick...

roseallenjcksn13

Post by roseallenjcksn13 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:04 am

Mucci wrote:Hello everyone,

First post here… I'm fairly new to iOS recording and so far really enjoying the capabilities. I use Auria as my main DAW, but still working on some issues which I hope some of you may help. So here are my questions. Sorry if they were covered before.

1. I am using iPad4 32 GB running on latest iOs7. I mostly record real guitars and basses, then add keyboards and drums with a bunch of apps. I am not sure if it is just an accident or if it can be replicated, it could be just an accident because accidents do happen and when I ran it by, it gave me the message again and says the same thing as before. I use Apogee One (iOS compatible version) to record my guitars. So, which core audio mode should I choose for best performance and least latency according to this setup?

2. I’m looking for advice on the most effective way to record guitars in Auria. By effective, I mean the least possible latency. I have JamUp and Bias. I really like them as standalone apps. But I get some latency when recording either through Audiobus to Auria or as IAA. Maybe it’s my fault in settings. But is a plugin version of an amp simulation app is less of a resource hog?

3. I also read nice reviews of TM’s Overload as well. Does anyone prefer or suggest Overloud over Bias/JamUp combination?

Sorry for the long post and many many thanks,
Get overloud already. Personally recommend it too. Great quality. Give us some samples when you have time perhaps?
Last edited by roseallenjcksn13 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kwalker0210
Expert

Post by kwalker0210 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:32 am

You have a few options:
1. Record guitar dry, then add audio effects afterwards. This allows you to double track your guitar (dry and wet signal)
2. Use external effects processor (pedals or multi fx unit) and record direct into Auria WITHOUT real time monitoring. This reduces the load on the iPad, allows you to hear the wet signal without trying to play through latency.
3. Mike your amp and record direct. This one requires an audio interface that allow you to "direct monitor" your signal.

I prefer the first option, because it gives you clean audio that you can modify to your hearts content and/or layer your guitar track to create whatever sound you desire.