Trouble Deleting a section from tracks

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

sutrobath
Expert

Trouble Deleting a section from tracks

Post by sutrobath » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:15 pm

I have the Auria manual and it says all I have to do to delete a unwanted section is to set my IN and OUT points (which I have done) and the unwanted region will turn blue (it does) and then simply hit 'Delete' and the section will be gone. Did this, but nothing happens. I am missing a step somewhere that the manual isn't covering. Anyone have an answer?

Mike

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Trouble Deleting a section from tracks

Post by Rim » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:31 pm

Actually, you're close - what you want to do is double-tap and drag on the waveform area itself, not on the timeline. This will create a highlight, which is what you want. You'll see a white outline instead of blue. Then you can do edits like cut, delete, etc.

Rim

sutrobath
Expert

Post by sutrobath » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:54 am

Hmmm..still wont delete...could it be because Im deleting the same section from all tracks, i.e. cutting a pre-chorus in 1/2?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:16 pm

Are you using Cut or Delete? For cutting out a section of a region, you'd use Cut. If you want to delete the entire region, you'd use Delete.

Rim

sutrobath
Expert

Post by sutrobath » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:42 pm

Im using 'Delete'.

sutrobath
Expert

Post by sutrobath » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:05 pm

I am locating the start point of the section I want to delete
1. I hit the locator icon from the top menu. A pop up tells me my start point is set. There is now a vertical line running all the way down through all tracks. That's good, as I am deleting the same section from all track.

2. I find my end point and again hit the locator icon at the top of the screen. A pop up tells me my end pont has been selected and a vertical line runs down through all my tracks. In addition, the section I have highlighted turns BLUE across all tracks.

3. I hit DELETE from the EDIT menu

4. The entire-ENTIRE-first track gets deleted.

5. HELPT!

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:12 pm

Hi why don't you just split the region in the parts you want to delete and delete that way

Put the time line where you want to start the split hi light that region just by touching it so it goes blue then just press the split icon do the same at the end of the bit you want to cut then hi light the segment so it's blue then just please the delete icon that's how I always do it 8)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:21 pm

As I mentioned earlier, you want to use the highlight feature, not locators or markers. Those are used for other things. It's pretty simple to do with highlighting:

1. Double tap and drag to set your highlight across the part you want to delete. After you do this, you can easily fine tune the start and end points by zooming in and find tuning.

2. Press Cut

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:44 pm

@sutrobath: You need to do what @Rim instructed earlier, i.e.:
...what you want to do is double-tap and drag on the waveform area itself, not on the timeline. This will create a highlight, which is what you want. You'll see a white outline instead of blue. Then you can do edits like cut, delete, etc.
Setting the locators isn't necessary here.

This is the sort of thing you're looking to see:
image.jpg
Highlighted area ready to cut/copy/separate
EDIT: Oops! Rim posted while I was busy editing pics :oops:

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:14 pm

I just suggested my way as everybody's brains work differently lol
That's my excuse :lol:

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:28 pm

Sure, that works also. There are a number of ways to accomplish this.

Thanks,
Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:18 pm

@Rim: While on the subject of highlighting, is it feasible to make it so that an existing highlight can be fine edited by dragging anywhere on the left/right/top/bottom edges of the highlight, without disturbing the other three edges?

At present, if a highlight extends over several tracks, the left and right extents can only be adjusted by dragging the edges within the lowest region within the highlight, otherwise the bottom of the highlight jumps to the region at the point being dragged. The top edge of the topmost highlighted region cannot be adjusted/extended without completely redrawing the highlight. The bottom edge cannot be adjusted without disturbing the left (or right) edges.

One for the wishlist :D

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:25 pm

That's a great suggestion. I Should be able to fix this in a line or two of code. Thanks!

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:45 pm

@Rim: What might also be useful: dragging the upper edge of the highlight up and beyond the timeline bar (then releasing) should cause the highlight to be extended vertically to include all tracks.

EDIT: Perhaps the highlight could be shown to extend to all tracks before releasing the drag (as a visible 'warning' of the significance if dragging up and over the timeline).