Multiple input solutions

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

drock
Expert

Multiple input solutions

Post by drock » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:28 am

Hey there, so has anyone recorded more than 8 channels at a time? Say, 12 or 16, somewhere around there. Also, has anyone done this at 96K? If so, what interface did you use and did you use multiple interfaces wired together?

I have a project coming up where I need to record more than 8 channels simultaneously. I have a presonus 1818VSL and I'm not sure how they're saying it's an 18 input interface...what other hardware would I need to do 18 and how would I hook it up? Thanks guys!

THX1136
Expert

Re: Multiple input solutions

Post by THX1136 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:53 pm

I've done multiple tracks, but only at 44.1. I have the Presonus 1818 and the Behringer ADA8000. I connected the two via Lightpipe/ADAT which gives me 16 inputs. I know the ADA is perhaps "old technology" but I've bought it several years back to enable recording 16 tracks at once with the Fostex VF16 I used to own.

I would think any interface with Lightpipe - or ADAT - inputs/outputs would work. While I know the higher sampling rate would be technically better I would place more importance on 24 bit as opposed to 16 bit as having a greater impact. I'm still gun shy/paranoid about running out of memory which also colors my sticking with 44.1. Guess I'm not as adventuresome as I could - or should - be. Hope this helps.
Belief does not create truth; unbelief does not destroy truth

http://www.nimbitmusic.com/allencarlson - Also at iTunes, Amazon, Spotify, Locusic and LastFM

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:05 pm

So would this be possible if I had 2 1818's running via adat? How would I keep them in sync?
I think I'd only get 4 more channels at 96K between the two 1818's, I'd be looking at 12 inputs total but I actually need 14. Should I be looking at getting a bigger, more expensive interface with more inputs and then adat the 1818 over to it?

I know I'm sort of pushing the boundaries here I'm just curious if this is doable. Thanks for all the help so far!

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:18 pm

Or maybe this question would be better posed to Rim, so, Rim, have you tested multiple inputs simultaneously at 96K? If so, how many did you try at once and how did you do it? What interfaces did you use, etc...

I remember you saying before that Auria has the capability of recording all 48 tracks at 96K simultaneously, which is bonkers yet I'm curious what hardware has been tested to at least get 14 tracks at once. It seems that 12 is doable with a standard interface like the Presonus 1818VSL (which I have already) and then ADAT to another input which would support 4 more channels (since its 96K).

I'm in over my head here :lol: but I'm trying to learn as much as possible before I buy another interface and I just dont want to buy the WRONG one..that would be a frustrating waste of time and money. Thanks Rim (or anyone else that has tested this!)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:20 pm

When we were doing our initial testing, we used an 1818 and were able to record all 18 inputs simultaneously at 48K on an iPad 2, while playing back the rest of a 48 track project.

On an iPad Air, you should be able to do the same at 96K.

Rim

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:46 pm

Sorry to be such a noob but how did you get 18 inputs out of the 1818? I only see 8 inputs on the front...the back just has outputs. You must've used some other ADAT interface or something...thanks again.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:52 pm

Sorry, I should have been more specific. We used an ADAT-compatible preamp (I believe it was a Behringer) connected to the back of the 1818, plus I believe an SPD/IF interface for the extra 2, in order to get access all 18 inputs. It's how the Approach demo song was recorded (at a barn in Michigan :) )

Rim

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:01 pm

Great! This definitely gets me in the right direction. 2 other questions though -

1. As far as using an ADAT-compatible preamp, does it have to be an approved interface from the interface compatible page? (http://auriaapp.com/Support/auria-audio-interfaces)

2. With your setup, did you have to use the sync out of the 1818? A PreSonus bnc cable, from what I understand.

Thanks!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:21 pm

It's been a long time since I've done it, but from what I recall, we had to use a sync cable. There are others on the forum who can provide more specific help about this though. For an ADAT-compatible preamp, you can certainly use anything. It doesn't need to be on the list, as it's not related to iPad compatibility.

Rim