Very low volume .wav files from StudioOne

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

jadmorffier
Expert

Very low volume .wav files from StudioOne

Post by jadmorffier » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:23 am

I usually have no issues with the volume of audio files I've imported into Auria. MP3's, M4A's, WAV's etc. But recently I've been working with a friend who has given me some wav file tracks from his StudioOne program on his PC. They sound fine on his end and sit at around 5 and 6db in StudioOne. But once we export to wave files and import them into Auria they sit at -10 in Auria and are pretty much unworkable.

We export them at 16/44 and we've tried other bits and hz settings but nothing seems to bring the levels back up.

What is happening here do you think?
Whatever is but might not be is dependent on what is and cannot not be.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Very low volume .wav files from StudioOne

Post by Rim » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:58 am

I would guess it's an issue on the Studio One side, since Auria doesn't alter the audio in any way after importing. Try creating a new project in Studio One and reimporting the same WAV files there to see if you have the same issue.

Rim

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:58 am

There could be various reasons for the wav file to be lower after import. It may be that effects like compressors/Limiters could be engaged in Studio One but were not included in the export. But whatever the reason NO worries because you can increase the wav to whatever level you want. Simply tap and highlight the entire wav file so that it's all light grey over the track colour and under Process select Gain and type in the db that you want to increase. Remember not to add the + sign just add the db value eg. 10db is plus 10db. Only the - sign is used for negative db numbers like -10db. This will increase the wav files gain to the desired db setting without adjusting any volume faders of those tracks. This has no diverse effect on the wav file as this is all digital and no noise or other elements are added or removed just the wav files overal gain. Good luck and thanks to this feature in Auria we can acomplish this sooo easy. Cheers.~~_/)~~~*

instinctive
Expert

Post by instinctive » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:26 pm

This whole process actually does have an adverse effect on the quality, as dynamics are lost proportional to the amount of gain that needs to be applied in Auria. If the original WAV file is 16 bits, and 8x gain needs to be applied, essentially you're dealing with 13 bits, which would probably represent an audible loss of dynamic range (resulting in increased noise and quantization noise).

Whatever the reason for the low level on import, it should be fixed "correctly" ;)

jadmorffier
Expert

Post by jadmorffier » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:42 pm

Thanks guys for the prompt responses!

I've tried increasing the gain as suggested but as soon as I get it up to a usable level it peaks and clips.

I'll try your suggestion rim and create a new project in Studio One and import the same wave file to see what happens. Trial and error. Still the best way but also still the slowest. :D

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:56 pm

How are you measuring the levels you're seeing? If you're getting clipping when increasing the gain, then you're increasing them too much... I think the most logical explanation is something in Studio One is changing the gain during mixdown (or something is increasing the gain while playing back in Studio One, causing you to see an increase during playback).

Rim

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:51 pm

I use Studio One daily for client mixdowns. If you want to send me the file to take a look at, happy to try importing it to see if I can replicate what you're seeing.

Tarekith attttt gggggmail

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:34 am

If you clipped than you raised it too much. Try raising it by only 1db at a time. Don't forget to leave enough DB below 0db to allow for processing. If your dynamics are keeping you from controlling the track from peaking just insert a compressor. If your not getting enough gain output from Auria once the track has been set at a safe db playback, just insert a limiter on the master or buss channel. I use Fabfilters
Pro L and set it to the K20 setting and raise the gain slider till the tracks play inside the yellow range and occasional red at some peeks. This gives me a very good monitoring level without peaks into the red. I also set my output to -2db in ProL avoiding peak reds in the master. Remember mixing and mastering is all about subtle and small changes. If your in need of a radical or large change, you need to look at the source material. Good luck. --_/)~~~*

jadmorffier
Expert

Post by jadmorffier » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:19 am

Ok we tried to import back into Studio One the same wav file that was exported from Studio One. We created a new project and dumped it in there. Levels were fine. The visual wave band though was still barely visible...

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5587/150 ... 1558_k.jpg

The bottom track is the one in question. See how non-existant it is? Unworkable right? But in Studio One it looks the same but is totally workable.

So it's definitely something going on in Studio One that us noobs are yet to work out. We only just started working with Studio One after purchasing a PreSonus 1818VSL. It's sounds fine in Studion One. The live input levels are great, monitoring is perfect. It's really loud. Export it to wav though, really really soft.

BlackBox
Expert

Post by BlackBox » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:18 pm

When exporting tracks be sure that you are including the effects that are being applied. It will be in the bottom of the box when you go to export.