iPhone 6 Plus support

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Mrcodyd

iPhone 6 Plus support

Post by Mrcodyd » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:05 pm

I'm really excited to upgrade my iPhone 5S to the iPhone 6 Plus that was just announced. The first thing that came to mind was Auria. How amazing would it be to take advantage of the 5.5 inch screen and have a scaled down Auria to run on it? I know it's nothing compared to the iPad mini bigger screen but I would love to mix tracks on the go. I was recently on tour for 3 months and I can only imagine how amazing it would've been to pull out my phone during down time and work on tracks I recorded while I was in the hotel. I feel 5.5 inches is more than enough room to use Auria on it. I know the iPad is easy to bring anywhere but to be able to pull out my phone and do everything would be great and there's def enough power under the hood to run it.

Maybe my dreams will come true soon ;)

sodium
Expert

Re: iPhone 6 Plus support

Post by sodium » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:08 am

No offence but that's just silly. We really should put a bit of thought into the practicalities of what we are discussing before making flippant wish list calls. Isn't it amazing enough to have a full blown 48 track studio on an ipad? Why wish for something simply because a newer smaller device just appeared? The practicality of pushing buttons, faders and changing parameters is at about its physical limit with an iPad screen. A phone app would just be a joke IMHO.

I could think of nothing worse. It's a phone. Period. Way too small to do serious work. Might as well ask for auria to shrink down to Apple watch size...:)
"get down off that cross we could use the wood..."

Mrcodyd

Post by Mrcodyd » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:15 am

Everyone has there opinion and I respect that. I never thought I would see something so great on the iPad and now we are able to accomplish a lot with Auria. Putting a "wish list" on a online forum to create discussion about a new product isn't the end of the world.

MikeDee
Expert

Post by MikeDee » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:13 am

Actually, there are ways to get around the size limitation, though perhaps not in all cases. But...for instance, tapping and holding a fader can bring up an exploded (i.e., larger) fader. No matter if it blocks most of the screen...as soon as you let go of the exploded fader, it disappears. The same can be done with knobs. Buttons, on the other hand, are likely to be a pain.

Perhaps if you're willing to use a pointed stylus with the iPhone 6, it might work out....

Now for the important Q's: How complicated and time-consuming will the graphics (re-)work be? Will it be worth Rim's time and effort to implement the above? Maybe, given the projected increase in sales...maybe not, since this will divert a gøød deal of precious time away from Auria development as a whole (e.g., MIDI Sequencing! :shock: ). What about the resulting impact on Auria's performance? IMHO, any degradation of performance would be a showstopper!! :cry:

So, at present, we can consider the answer to this request a definite maybe at best. :lol:

Best regards,

Mike

sodium
Expert

Post by sodium » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:52 pm

Mrcodyd wrote:. Putting a "wish list" on a online forum to create discussion about a new product isn't the end of the world.

I certainly didn't mean to sound disrespectful Mrcodvd and apologise if I did. I guess my point was just because a new product is released by the all conquering Apple, the whole world doesn't have to rush to get on board. In my view Auria is Totes Amazeballs on my iPad Air. Anything smaller would simply be impractical.

Cheers,
na

miguelmarcos
Expert

Post by miguelmarcos » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:21 pm

I think it's worthy of consideration. Perhaps a limited version, 8 or 16 tracks, with limited support for plugins. The iPhone is an always-around device. Its power is its size. Pull it out work on a few tracks, transfer to the iPad via Dropbox. Maybe.

Mrcodyd

Post by Mrcodyd » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:02 pm

sodium wrote:
Mrcodyd wrote:. Putting a "wish list" on a online forum to create discussion about a new product isn't the end of the world.

I certainly didn't mean to sound disrespectful Mrcodvd and apologise if I did. I guess my point was just because a new product is released by the all conquering Apple, the whole world doesn't have to rush to get on board. In my view Auria is Totes Amazeballs on my iPad Air. Anything smaller would simply be impractical.

Cheers,
na

No problem, I just get excited about new gadgets haha.

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:18 am

There is a solution if you need to use an iPhone for remote recording though. I've been using "Multitrack DAW" by Harmonic Dog, in conjunction with Auria for over a year now and it is a great compliment to Auria.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

miguelmarcos
Expert

Post by miguelmarcos » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:02 pm

martygras wrote:There is a solution if you need to use an iPhone for remote recording though. I've been using "Multitrack DAW" by Harmonic Dog, in conjunction with Auria for over a year now and it is a great compliment to Auria.
<martygras> can you outline the steps you take to jump from MT to Auria?

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:45 pm

Oh, my usage is the simplest use. I'll get a nice stage sound at an open mic either acoustically stereo or if I bring my griffin Studioconnect I'll get a mix from the board. Simple copy/paste into Auria. I'll do some corrective eq, add some compression and then I'm ready to add new tracks.
This could all be done in Multitrack DAW, but Auria has much better tools and an easier to use interface.

I have done 5 tracks at a friends house doing overdubs on the iPhone, but still just copy/paste. Overdubs always get recorded from zero start point.

lukebredin

Post by lukebredin » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:28 am

I don't think the idea of having auria on an iPhone6 plus is a bad idea at all. As mentioned previously there are many ways to be able to get around the smaller screen size. But the move to a 5.5inch screen does make the idea of having Auria on an iPhone more of a reality.

Garageband seems to work ok on the smaller iPhones up until now. My only issue is not being able to record at the higher sample rates. I still think Auria is the best iOS DAW going. I have a main studio that I do all my work in (and certainly finalising projects etc..) but i do do small projects on the move in Auria. I have a new iOS apogee audio interface now too and will be using my iPad and iPhone to record on location more now I have these fantastic AD converters and mic pres that I can record through. I have been toying with the idea of upgrading my iPad as it is becoming very old but with the announcement of the iPhone 6 plus I am wondering if I really need an iPad for my music production set up at all. I will always have one in the house but it is more the hard drive size that is what I am thinking about, weather I just have say a 32gb iPad that is more of a family device or go get the 128gb size and use it as my main mobile music production tool. If say Auria does become available (and I hope it does) on the iPhone 6 plus then my phone would become the main audio recorder on location. I am still waiting until the announcement of the new iPads to decide which one to upgrade though. But it would be easier for me if Auria did become available for the iPhone 6 plus.

Thanks for the tip on using multitrack DAW, I actually found that DAW yesterday while I was looking fro an iPhone solution to recording at higher sample rates :) Good to know someone else uses it and it works well.

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:02 pm

I must admit that the compressor and reverb in Multitrack DAW are quite good. I love tools that make previously difficult tasks super quick and simple.

sodium
Expert

Post by sodium » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:23 pm

martygras wrote:I must admit that the compressor and reverb in Multitrack DAW are quite good. I love tools that make previously difficult tasks super quick and simple.
Agreed. It was my DAW of choice before Auria came along

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:36 pm

how about an iphone project player for the iphone? (play - stop - rewind controls only)

That way you could load a project up onto dropbox and then be able to review songs while on the move through the iphone. When you get back home you load up the project on the ipad and make any changes.

It might also act as a convenient way to remotely share song or mix ideas with people.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:45 pm

Interesting idea!

Rim