Plug Ins

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

rickwaugh
Expert

Plug Ins

Post by rickwaugh » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:12 pm

I see lots of people saying they love these. The micro warmer seems to get praise. But what exactly are they? I do pretty well all instrumental music, both acoustic and electric. Would this be helpful?

pitzipado
Expert

Re: Plug Ins

Post by pitzipado » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:46 pm

rickwaugh wrote:I see lots of people saying they love these. The micro warmer seems to get praise. But what exactly are they? I do pretty well all instrumental music, both acoustic and electric. Would this be helpful?
Hello and welcome to the forum- lots of helpful knowledgeable folks out there!
The microwarmer is wonderful for enhancing any acoustic tracks I believe most if
not all the plugins available to Auria are described/demonstrated on Utube
The fab filter plugs are also worthy of the name. Highly addictive to even the
casual sound engineer I wound up buying most of them and so glad I did
best jp

Here is one of the demos
http://youtu.be/likDyvrg6tc

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:10 pm

Thanks for the response. That does sound really nice. Boy, you could spend a lot of money on those, very quickly.

firehosed
Expert

Post by firehosed » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:46 am

Always keep an eye out for sales on the plugins, I bought a bunch during Black Friday. Pro C, Pro Q and MicroWarmer are my favorites.

Tovokas
Expert

Post by Tovokas » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:14 am

They are expensive in app terms, but dirt-cheap compared to their desktop equivalents. I rely on PSP Vintage Warmer on every one of my desktop mixes ($135), and PSP Micro-warmer gets you 90% of the way there for a fraction of the cost. Pro-Q is better than any desktop EQ I've ever used. And it seems to be extraordinarily efficient: I basically have it on every track and twice in the master bus with only a tiny CPU bump on my Air. Highly recommended.

They very rarely go on sale, so I pounce when they do. ;)

claudel
Expert

Post by claudel » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:56 am

Seems to me that some of the Auria plugin versions lag behind the "regular" versions as far as updates.

It's a bit annoying to me that the Jam Up plugin is not as capable as the standalone version.

It's more than a bit annoying that I can't use amps & configurations that I make in
standalone Bias in the plugin version and that things I've purchased in the standalone
aren't also available in the plugin.

I realize that this is on PG to fix, not Wave Machines, but they don't seem particularly interested.

I'd guess there's not a large user base to worry over.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:54 am

I'll keep my eyes open. Just enjoying the app right now. It's got to be the most intuitive DAW I have ever used, everything is so nice and simple to figure out. I'll definitely keep an eye out for the plugins.

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:21 am

You can do an excellent mix with the stock plugins in auria. I don't have all the plugins, but the ones I do have I love. I use Microwarmer on the drum bus of every mix, and sometimes on the master. I also love old timer and fxpansion channel comp. I love the stock compressor and bus compressor in the channel strips as well, but old timer has a cool sound that is so easy to set, and channel comp does parallel compression very easily (as does the channel strip bus comp) and has that awesome bias control, which can make sounds very full and hairy very quickly (I usually back off it after initially setting it too far to the left, a little bit goes a long way. And to the right thins it out, also useful in mixes).

I also have the "pro" version of the built in reverb, mainly for the filters. I don't use that verb too much anymore because I usually run the aux output through audiobus, back into a track and print my reverbs, using altispace, audio reverb, aufx, or tonestack. Delays and other effects too. I bought turnado and wow while they were on sale, and although I haven't used wow much, I'm starting to get into turnado for some weirder delay effects and such.

Ok, maybe I have more plugins than I thought! I have psp echo and timeless for delays, although I do use the stock stereo delay for haas effect delays (short 10-30 ms delay panned away from the dry signal, useful for giving width to sounds sometimes).

BUT, with all that being said, the one plugin that made the biggest difference for me was pro-q. I use the stock eq as well, but pro-q helps me eq very quickly when I need to zero in on frequencies. I also love the variable curves. The stock eq has options for curves as well, but i find pro-q very easy to use.

Next for me will be pro-c I think, due to the side chaining and some of the other options. But, I've been holding off for now and using what I have, which is already a ton. If I need other compression, I still have the option of using tonestack or Jamup pro, either through IAA or audiobus, as each has good compressors (and delays, verbs, all sorts of things).

The best thing about auria for me is that it has allowed me to get things done, so although my options are less limited than when I first got auria, they are still more limited than when I use reaper on my laptop so I focus on finishing. That's important for me.

Hope that helped.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:46 am

It did, thanks for taking the time.

I'm just getting back into recording after many years not doing so, and I'm learning all over again. Got to develop my ears more too.