Project crashing

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

mrufino1
Expert

Project crashing

Post by mrufino1 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:44 pm

I have a song I've been mixing, just ban out done, but i needed other replace a part he his morning. After recording the part, I tried to join two regions (from a punch in) and the project will not open now, it just crashes on each start. I've tried restarting the ipad, I know there is a lot of memory free (right now reading 258mb). This project has previously given me issues, there are a lot of track freezes, some disabled effects- I unfroze a synth bass track to re-record it and disabled the plugins immediately, they were still disabled when I tried to join the takes.

I also backed up the project to my Mac, cleared it from ipad, restarted the ipad, restored the project after loading some other projects successfully, but it is still crashing. I have about 13gb free on iPad Air running 7.1.2. This project has crashed other times as well when trying to join regions or bounce out a track and re-importing rather than freezing (to print an IAA Jamup amp).

I know Rim in the past you have asked people to send you the project via Dropbox, I'm not exactly sure how to do that, would if upload it to my Dropbox and share it to you or is there a different way to do it? And do I upload the whole thing, audio and all?

Is there a way for me to try to examine what may be wrong? Or is it possible to load a backup or a snapshot when not in the song? If not, is that possible for an update? I can load snapshots from the song itself, but in this case I can't get to the song. The band is after me to release the song ASAP and it was going be done this morning but now I can't open it, so it would be helpful if I can retrieve it. Thanks.

mrufino1
Expert

Re: Project crashing

Post by mrufino1 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:50 pm

I looked up some solutions on this forum and will try when I get home to rename files, etc. But I didn't get the " load snapshot" dialog after the crash. I did get it later but auria had somehow created a " new project" which was blank.

I have a feeling that the current version has caused more crashes than I had in the past, usually when trying to bounce a track or join some regions. It may be this specific project , but I can't think of anything unusual in it. I did use IAA for "reamping" some DI guitar tracks, but the tracks were mixed down and the old track deleted. Strange issues, and I know that I am pushing auria pretty hard, but I love mixing on my iPad so I hope I can get some of these issues worked out.

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:58 pm

OK, I fixed the issue and can open the song- I did the "rename the snapshot" technique described in another post. I am seeing now that my ipad varies from 70mb all the way down to 10mb of free memory, but I'm not sure what would be causing it. I disabled each plugin that was running on a bus or the master, but disabling each didnt seem to have an effect on the memory. Holding the power button then pressing home, then starting auria again freed the memory to about 70mb. I loaded another song, there was 130mb free. I closed that song and went back to the one I'm working on and the memory was at 30mb. Then doing the power button sequence brought it back to 70mb, or thereabouts. I'm not sure what the issue is, but I guess whatever I tried to do was hogging way too much. I usually keep an eye on that. Anyway, I bounced my drums down to a stereo stem since they are mixed anyway, and I'll see how that goes. The project currently has 39 tracks, so I know I'm pushing the limits.I'm freezing as much as I can, but the bus effects are a challenge I guess.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:44 pm

Glad you got the project open. Bypassing a plugin doesn't free up memory. It only frees up the CPU usage for that plugin. The only way to free up the memory it needs is to remove the plugin, or freeze the track it's on. iPad memory management can be tricky, because iOS does a lot of things automatically, and there's no predicting how much memory will get freed by quitting an app, etc. A couple of things that could help in your case though:

1. Make sure to disable AUX delay compensation in the settings unless you need it.
2. Set your Disk Buffer to Normal in the settings.

These will minimize memory usage and may help on very large projects.

As far as the Join function, have you found that using it causes issues in a particular project every time? If so, I would love to get a copy of that project so I can reproduce it here and fix it if it's a bug.

The best way to send me projects is via Dropbox. My username is rim at drumagog dot com.

Thanks,
Rim

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:31 pm

Will do. How do I get that project to you via Dropbox ? Share the folder or am I sending something to that address? Sorry, I guess I'm confused enough today...
I do have the disk buffer on high I think , and delay compensation is on , so I will check those.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:58 am

Those two settings will make a huge difference in memory usage.

First see if that fixes things for you. If you're still having issues with join, send me the project. To do that, use iFunBox to copy the project folder to your computer, then send the whole folder via Dropbox.

Rim

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:31 am

Ok, I will definitely check those settings. I had never had delay compensation on before, I think I just tried it recently, but crashes were happening before that.

And again, pardon me, when you say "send it via Dropbox" are you saying to put it in Dropbox and share the folder with you, or put it in Dropbox then email you the link? Or something else? Thanks.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:56 am

Either one will work, they both allow me to download the folder, so whatever's more convenient for you.

Rim

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:08 pm

Thanks, it's uploading and I'll forward the link when it finishes. The file is 3gb , so it will take a little bit.
The aux comp and disk buffer increased available memory drastically, so thank you for that.
I think I uploaded the "broken" file so you could see what's wrong. Let me know if you want the one I renamed instead.

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:34 pm

I just sent you the link, thanks for taking the time to help me.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:10 pm

No problem, I'll check it out.

Thanks,
Rim