Confused about how to access multiple takes in a track

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Duckmandu
Expert

Confused about how to access multiple takes in a track

Post by Duckmandu » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:59 pm

Okay, I'm not really sure how or if the crossfade feature addresses these issues:

Say I have multiple takes from overdubbing, which results in multiple stacked regions, on a single track. How do I decide which of those takes is, as it were, the "topmost" take? It seems sometimes are Auria chooses the earlier takes to play back, and sometimes it chooses the later takes. Is there some kind of "layering" feature that allows me to choose which take is topmost, or which take plays back?

Lets me give you an example of one thing I sometimes do. Say I want to punch in and replace just two words in a vocal part. How would I do this?

I'm totally looking at this the wrong way, please let me know what technique I would use in Auria to to achieve what I'm trying to achieve.

Thanks for your help,

- Aaron

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Confused about how to access multiple takes in a track

Post by Rim » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:42 pm

Auria works the same as all non-destructive DAWs in this regard - it will play regions in the order they appear on the screen. So if you have a region on top of another region (covering it completely), Auria will only play the topmost region. If you have a large region, with a small one on top of it, it will play the large region until it reaches the smaller one, then play the smaller one until it's finished, then resume playing the larger one.

Auria doesn't really have a "take management" system, so there's no easy way to switch between takes, other than tapping on the topmost region then pressing delete to reveal the older takes underneath (or moving the newer take out of the way, or onto another track, etc).

Rim

Duckmandu
Expert

Post by Duckmandu » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:52 pm

We'll, I'm still a bit confused about this. Say I wanted to replace (overdub) one second of audio. If I record the one second replacement using auto-punch, will my new take automatically end up on top? Is there no way to choose between takes? Isn't the whole point of non-destructive overdubbing to be able to choose parts of different takes? If not, can I add new tracks I between other tracks to have a sort of clipboard track or two to mess with the regions?

Thanks for your help!

- Aaron

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:29 pm

That's right - if you record something on top of an existing region using auto-punch, it will end up on top. So you'll hear the new take, starting at the punch-in point. You basically hear what you see.

Since Auria doesn't have a dedicated "record comping" feature, the best you can do if you want to choose between different takes is to record each new take on its own track. Just choose Add Track from the menu.

Rim

grvmeister

Post by grvmeister » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:39 pm

I am a new user of Auria but an experienced user of PT. I do a lot of bass overdubbing and I thought that Auria/Duet iOS combo was my "iPad solution." But after days of trying to get around the top layer functionality it has left me very frustrated and disappointed. I can't punch in and do edits/cross fades /etc. without doing a separate-region on the 1st pass (something that PT does automatically on the current playlist) and dragging the in our out of the old region under the overdub. Can this be added or am I missing something?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:17 am

Can you describe what you mean in more detail? I'm not sure I understand. Auria supports auto punch in, and you can do crossfades on the new punched in recording.

Rim

grvmeister

Post by grvmeister » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:49 pm

If I do a top-to-bottom pass and auto punch fixes (which works great), I can't cross fade the new with the old. If I tap a section of the old and hold for longer than a second, the new punch hides underneath and I have to undo. What I want to see happen is after I punch in and out for the new region to cut into the old and turn the old into separate regions around the new. That way I can immediately adjust the in and out of the punch. I am a "newb" to this program so I appreciate your help. Thanks!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:41 pm

OK, got it. Pro Tools is unique in the DAW world in the way it handles this. In PT, when you drag a smaller region on top of a larger region, it creates a "hole" in the larger region to accommodate the smaller one. Auria works like most other DAWs, where the smaller one floats above the larger one, and can be moved, etc. But moving the underlying larger region will cause it to "move to the front". This is common in most DAWs, because you typically want the region you're moving to be placed on top of anything else.

What you're trying to accomplish is possible in Auria, but requires a few steps:

1. Set your snap mode to Events
2. Move the cursor to the left side of the new punched-in region
3. Press Split All
4. Move the cursor to the right side of the punched in region, and press Split All again
5. Grab the right handle of the original (non-punched) region and move it over so it overlaps the punched in region a little
6. Do the same for the left handle of the original region
7. Now use the multiselect tool to select the left original region and the punched region and press Crossfade
8. Do the same for the right original region and the punched region

Does it make sense to add a Pro Tools like mode where larger regions make room for smaller regions when placed on top? If enough people want this, I can add it as an option.

Rim

Rim

jg707
Expert

Post by jg707 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:03 pm

Hi Rim,

Yes, I can see the advantage of that feature as an "option." Mostly I prefer the way it is now, but it could come in handy to be able to utilize that process as well.

What I would really like to see, however, is a graphic function where successive overdub/punch-ins on the same track were slightly different colors (or really just lighter or darker versions of the same track color) asI do a lot of punch-ins, particularly with vocals, and it does get hard to keep track as I go along...

Anyway, thats my two cents! :)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:51 pm

Definitely already high on the wishlist to have record comping / track folder functionality. Not sure if that'll make it into a version soon, but it's something I want to do at some point.

Rim

grvmeister

Post by grvmeister » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:46 pm

Thanks for the reply! It would be AMAZING to have that option available to ProTools users. Keep me posted on the progress. I will see how quickly I can get the process you suggested under my fingertips. Still, I think a "Protools mode" would certainly attract a lot of Nashville people. :)

Duckmandu
Expert

Post by Duckmandu » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:32 pm

Auria really should have a way to overlay multiple takes, and then choose with precision when in the timeline each take plays back on the track. I means that's the glory of DAW multitrack recording, isn't it?

I'm not familiar with Pro-Tools, so maybe that's what some of you here were already suggesting?

- Aa (Duck)

grvmeister

Post by grvmeister » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:25 pm

Yes. Absolutely! Playlist recording is an integral part of the tracking process now days - for a multitude of good reasons. Not just for lazy, low-talent recording. It helps musicians capture the vibe of different takes and combine them. Automatically splitting takes in the paste process is a big part of speeding up that process.

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:01 pm

I know it's not ideal but I always have loads of empty tracks in the project when doing this sort of recording and just drag each take into a spare track and just audition them that way. 8)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:18 pm

Keep in mind that when dragging a region from one track to another, Auria has a "smart" alignment system which keeps the position of the region the same across multiple tracks when dragging. This way, you don't need to worry about keeping your finger very steady when moving a region from one track to another.

Rim