IAA request

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

mtingle
Expert

IAA request

Post by mtingle » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:43 am

let say you have an older project that has 40+ tracks and one or 2 have IAA effects on them.

Now lets say you load it and for some reason one or two of the IAA's malfunction and cant be loaded.

Now the question is, which tracks where the IAA's on? If the project is quite old it might be impossible to remember where they were. Also the sound of the project may have changed radically now.

So, is there a way to put a place holder where the IAA should of been or perhaps create a txt (crash report) file in the project with this information in?

mrufino1
Expert

Re: IAA request

Post by mrufino1 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:53 am

That's a good idea. However, anytime I've used any effect that's not an auria plugin, be it audiobus or IAA, I print the effect as soon as I've decided it's right so I don't encounter that situation. It makes me commit and I think of it like using outboard gear that I may not have access to later or that I can't reset exactly the same way. Just food for thought.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:43 am

That is a good suggestion. I do this already for Auria plugins, and was planning on doing the same for IAAs as well. I agree that "printing" IAAs is a good idea, especially since IAAs don't allow saving of parameters - you need to redo all the parameters manually each time a project loads anyway.

Rim

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:34 pm

If you have to print audio each time you use an IAA then mastering IAA's such as audio mastering and final touch that go on the master channel strip become impossible to use. Not to mention IAA reverbs used on the aux channels, these can not be printed either.

Adding them to the crash log will open up the possibilities to use these IAA's.

I always make a preset in each IAA enabling me to recall the correct settings to each project. I hope apple implements the saving of presets soon!

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:41 pm

Or,

Have Auria make a snapshot of the project that tried (and failed) to open a project with a crashing IAA that retains the IAA prior to it being deleted by Auria. That way you can clear the ram open and close the IAA that was crashing and then re-load Auria and try to load the snap shot which still tries to load the IAA. These fresh attempts to load the same project may then succeed.

It's my experience of crashing IAA's that they just need to be loaded and the closed properly. The problem only arises because Auria fails to load a project and then immediately saves (well apple does this really) a version of the project without the IAA. Making a 'pre-crash' snapshot could resolve this issue quite nicely.

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:38 pm

What's the advantage of loading a mastering app in the master strip? Why not just put the file into the app
Standalone and master it? Then your CPU is free for other plugins in auria and the mastering step becomes separate. I'm not trying to argue, different workflows for different people, but it would save a Ton of CPU and headache. With that being said, I thought both mastering programs did a great job (and they can in the right hands) until we sent our cd out for mastering and it was much better and quite affordable. Just food for thought, having the "gray out" option is still a good idea either way.

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:34 am

Yes I tried the separate app idea which works of course. I do have enough CPU to run those apps as IAA's inside auria. This enables me to make mix changes knowing how the mastering process will change the final sound.

There are advantages to both methods and currently I'm enjoying the mix and mastering combined.

The greyed out IAA plugin slot option would indeed be ideal.